Youre out in the woods and run into a...

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
Re: You're out in the woods and run into a...

True-Metal,

Thats the problem with all of you scared city folks. That bear was just checking out what you were doing it was probably thinking "what the heck is this goofy SOB doing out here". A black bear under normal circumstances would not attempt to harm a human. Not as for special circumstances it could injure you or quite possibly kill you if you got between it and its cubs or if it had some sort of neurological disorder like rabies. I like seeing bears, I think they are a valuable and important part of nature. I also believe that hunting, fishing and trapping are absolutely necesarry to maintain a ballance by regulating populations and reducing diseases like rabies and distemper, so take what I say whicever way you want.

mike

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada

So far, in Ontario, every deadly bear attack, has been a large 'male' no cubs involved at all.. A man and his wife were killed a few years ago on Bates Island in Opeongo lake (Algonquin) from the evidence, the bear attacked the woman first, and the man tried to fight it off with a paddle until it killed him as well.. The Ontario Spring bear hunt was cancelled a few years ago, now bears are literally everywhere... The hunt was cancelled for political reasons only to satisfy a small number of vocal urban yuppies.. I very rarely go into the bush any more without my slug gun..The hunt used to harvest 7000 bears a year, now there are 7000 MORE bears every year.. It's just a mater of time before a bear kills a child at a school bus stop.. Bus drivers have seen them prowling the area. My daughters neighbor scared one off their deck up near Moonstone, a popular skiing area. A 400 pounder was struck and killed by a truck on hwy 400 as it travels through the Holland marsh, and thats futher south than they have been seen in the last hundred years... It's only a matter of time...

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's

i ran into a thorn bush over the weekend that looked kinda mean! ;)

bigrig

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA

First what kind of bear was involved in the atack? no let me guess, Brown Bear.Like I said earlier, a Brown Bear will atack without warning. I totally agree with you on the bear hunting subject. The cancellation of bear hunting season will increase the number of bears every year but not just 7000 a year, with more breeding bears every year ther will be more cubs every year wich in turn will become breeding adults in a few years and create mopre cubs, it is a vicious cycle. there will be attacks, diseases, starvation, eventially the bears will move to where the food is, in town and even worse into your barns killing your livestock, into your homes killing you and your children, and this will just continue to get worse until the bears over populate the area and drive the people out of canada, and where will they go? To the USA. Canada needs to get something done about this before it is too late and before there is a mass of human casualties. Please do this before it is too late. I love my canadian brothers but they can keep thier bears in canada.

sorry for being so political its just what I do and have done to get laws passed here in PA to allow trappers more rights. I just can't get away from it.

mike

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:D Thats a good one Gunfarce!

To those unfamilar with bears, dont ?underestimate the power of black bears. That was one of a handful of encounters i have had with northern and southern BB's, they can hurt you bad if they want to.

I read somewhere that Black Bears have killed more people than any other bears. Most likely because theres more of them and they are more dispersed than the other species. They get really psycho sometimes and can be deadly aggressive for no reason.

In Alaska a few years back a BB killed a woman and a passerby trying to help her and partially ate the bodies before the rangers got there and snuffed the sucker. I believe her boy son lived thru it but was mauled badly. I saw that on the ?national news.

I'm with Lowbatts...I worry more about the bipedal speaking species more than anything, but lets all be careful wherever we hunt as you just dont know what might happen?

?

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike, i'm in upstate. Where i live is a far cry from the city. I can hit Scranton in an hour and a half from here.

I love bears, and agree they are a vital importance to the system and I wouldn't harm one unless i had to. They were here long before us and hopefully will remain so. 8)

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA

True-Metal,

That just sounded like something a city boy would say. I have no fear of any animal in PA that I know of. I always say that if you respect animal you will be respected by animals, this goes to all people, hunters or not.

mike

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms

Had a black bear wark within 30 ft of me this past hunting season . forest ranger says if you shoot a bear in self defence you better have an arm or leg missing as proof !!! very rare in ms . sighting of a lifetime . wish i had been carring camera , instead of muzzle loading rifle !

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Main problem here is packs of wild dogs. People think that they'll be OK if they dump dogs in woods to fend for themselves. After being around humans then reverting to the wild, they have very little fear so packing is only prudent choice. Just a small piece of advise for those going into bear country, I read that if your wife/g.f./female companion is having that monthly time, it's best she not be in bear country as the smell to bears is like an open cut to a shark.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:D Ok, whatever you say there, Daniel Boone Mike. :D

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I live in Northern Michigan and I've had a few bear encounters over the years. Thankfully, they have all ran the other way as soon as they spotted my ugly mug. To avoid potential problems, take a tip from hikers who walk bear country all the time....make noise. Many experienced hikers wear bells on their ankles just to alert any critters that they are in the area.....so whistle while you work. Bobcats are of no concern as they are so secretive that you rarely see them and it's a treat if you do. Lots of rumors here about mountain lions or cougars but no positive sightings. My concern as another poster said is with the bi-pedal variety and I pack my Kimber 45 auto most of the time when I'm in the field.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

True_Metal said:
:D Ok, whatever you say there, Daniel Boone Mike. :D
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Mike speaks the truth. There is nothing to fear here in the PA woods, if you leave it alone. with the exception of BUGS of course (Skeeters, Tics) no respect from them. & lately the BLACK WIDOW, has been found in my area, several times. don't think they attack tho :D .................... of course I havn't run into Big Foot yet? :)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Up until a few years ago there was nothing in the woods to fear here in my part of the state of OK. Arkansas reintroduced black bears into the Ozarks and several of them have migrated across the state line into OK. It is not unusual for someone to report seeing one every now and then. So far I have encountered none and I spend a lot of time in the woods. It is my understanding they are harmless unless their young are threatened or they loose their fear of man. Feeding them would be a big mistake. A cougar was sited near where I hunt deer a few years a go and a few head of livestock were reported killed under mysterious circumstances. I have never seen it and it hasn't been spotted in a couple of years, perhaps it died of natural causes? I sometimes get worried about rabid animals in the summer time, especially nocturnal animals that are seen in the daytime such as skunks and racoons. Other than man these are the only threats I fear in the woods. I would be much more cautious around a stranger in the woods than any animal I might encounter.

S

sal1966

see mostly deer an small rodents. saw a fox once, walked by took a leak an keep on going( was a male of course:lol).? scarest thing i witnessed was a huge ass tree crashing down nearby while i was taking care of business. i ran while i was peeing, that was a laugh. ;D

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

Down here in Fla, near the water you have to keep an eye out for gators! I had a 12 footer casually stroll up the boat ramp where I was hunting a few years ago! as it turns out a lady that frequents the park had been feeding him marshmallows for months! The result of this was the gator not only lost any fear of humans, it began to see humans as a source of food! Gators routinely take golfers searching for balls near water hazards(gives whole new meaning to"water hazard!") I was fishing with a buddy about ten years ago, we were using these inner tube wader things to float down the river while we fished. A gator about 8' came right up to my buddy's bait bucket and started to bump him.
Before I could say anything my buddy reached over and shoved the gator back by the nose! The gator was not to be put off so easily, and returned to bump my buddy again! My friend then gave the gator a really hard shove, sending the gator back about ten feet! I said "man do you have a big pair! shoving a gator like that!" as I was paddling for the bank! "gator?" he said, then he looked to see what he was shoving on and shortly passed me on the way to shore! It turns out he thought it was a log! ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

LMAO, another great story. Justpicturing you're friend doing 10 knots in an innertube. Bet he's not gonna use the phrase "bite me" for some time to come. :D

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

yeah stoney, you coulda water skied behind him! to this day he still only freshwater fishes from the bridge or a boat! ;D

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other

:D LOL that's hilarious, I can just imagine the look on his face when he learned it was a gator. PAMike creates a vision of a bear revolution taking over ;D although I agree that the bears will start spreading if they breed like rabbits and nobody takes care of it. I wonder if anyone is keeping track of their migrating patterns to see how they're spreading. For now I'll have to bring my dog, and be noisy. We have to respect nature and protect wildlife, but someone needs to protect us from nature and wildlife hehe.

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Newbie here (haven't got my md yet), and I must say that this forum is great! ?Can't pass up the advice of the pros...wear bells, be armed...RUN! ?Anything else we should know about?

Minnesota is close to Canada, and yes we have black bears (we also have a season on them...just let them come down here from Canada...we'll show them who skins what!), mountain lions and the occasional moose here too. ?Almost hit a bear a couple of miles down the road. ?Last fall, a mountain lion nearly mauled a couple of horses to death. ?Last I heard tho, someone shot it. ?Illegal as heck to do... they don't say who did it, just that it's been shot. ?DNR are real sticklers around here. ?They don't knock on your fish house door, they just walk right in!

Is going it alone out there even a good idea? Or should we run in pack and herds, too? ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread