Suggestions for A Relic Metal Detector

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Ace 250, Vibra-Probe 560
Hello All,
Can you offer opipinions suggestions on a detector for relic hunting? Mainly Civil War items. Right now using an Ace 250 because it was my starter machine, but ready to move up. Can go as high as about 1,000 dollars, a little more if need be. In the mean time would it be worth getting the Rhino larger coil for my Ace or just save the money towards a new detector.

I like what I hear about Minelab and have a friend(Ronin) that has one and speaks highly of it. I have also like Garret and have looked at thier upper level detectors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary "Whippetdog" HH

Upvote 0

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
If weight is no problem,then I would reccomend the Nautilus.Close to it,but much lighter in weight,is the Tesoro Tejon.However,both have a pretty good learning curve.Not enough info out on relic hunting with the T2,or F75.Maybe someone else knows more about the T2.I have heard both pro and con about the Minelab Explorers,they do have weight to them tho.Don't think a larger coil for the 250 would help much in relic.It does give a couple of inches for coin/jewelery.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think a larger coil for the 250 would help much in relic.It does give a couple of inches for coin/jewelery.
Either the Explorer II or SE would do a fine job. However the Tesoro Tejon also is great at a less price but no LCD if you feel the need to look at a picture that lies to you a lot. It can't be helped though as the detector reports what Could be there.

OP
OP
Whippetdog

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Ace 250, Vibra-Probe 560
Thanks Sandman, I was hoping you would respond. I respect your experience and knowledge. I am seeing more and more good things about the Tesoro Tejon. Might need to look seriuosly at it.

HH

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Two great relic detectors come to mind. The Tesoro Tejon and the Tek T2. Both are excellent at getting relics as well as coins. The T2 is a hot detector with target ID the Tejon relies only on sound. I think if you chose either one of these you would do well with it.
Let me know if you need any help with your purchase.
TonyinCT
860-623-1153

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MMMMMM. I'm rather fond of my MXT. ;D

100_6932.jpg

grinsmiley.gif

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't sell White's MXT short without a serious look.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread