Maybe a collection of the dumb things we do while metal detecting.....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Duh....

Yesterday I hit the soil carrying my brand new tack puller for popping targets out of the ground with minimumal turf damage:

index.jpg

Somewhere in that grass I lost my tack puller, covered all the ground (apparently not ALL), and couldn't find it - even with my detector....

So, duh.......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
* Was detecting a tot lot, after about 20 minutes I think wow, this place is dry as a bone. Kept on for a few more minutes then it dawned on me the batteries might be hit, sure enough they were.

* Hunting a tot lot at night with a headlamp, I specifically remind myself to be careful not to clock my head on a monkey bar. About 10 minutes later I clocked my head on a monkey bar, saw stars.

* Finished a beach hunt, propped detector on the truck while I loaded other things. Drove away, about 15 minutes later I got the haunting feeling that I didn't load the detector. Quick glance in back confirmed, I raced back and luckily it was still there. Suffered a busted armrest from the fall but otherwise intact.

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first 2 dimes I ever found I had unearthed together and laid them on my towel by the hole next to all of the dirt I had removed. I wanted to check the hole with my pro pointer before filling it in. Tested the hole and no signal. I promptly picked up my towel and poured all if the dirt back into the hole. Stood up to move on and realized I had just poured my 2 dimes back into the hole! Duh! Dug it out again and finally found the 2 dimes again and immediately put them in my bag. Haha!

Last edited:

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many of you have done like me and be wearing a ring under my glove and wave the pinpointed over a fistful of sand/dirt trying to see if you grabbed the target? 😚

Ive done that but finally stopped wearing my ring when hunting.

Another dumb thing I do....I have a finds bag that I wear around my waist. Was searching a hole with pro pointer and got a signal. Kept digging and checking the signal. I had dug down 8 inches before I realized my finds bag was hanging near my knees where I was kneeling and the propointer wad reading all the stuff in it. Moved the bag around to my side, checked hole again..EMPTY!! :BangHead:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well of course you did. It was night. :)

The rotating variety, like straight out of a Popeye cartoon. Actually a pretty sight, almost like a mini constellation.

I have made a career out of concussions starting as a kid, I have whacked my head so hard a few times that I saw an ultra bright jagged line of pure electricity in the middle of my vision, like an EKG line that won't go away ,,, So compared to that, the stars were pretty mild.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep hitting my head myself! Gotta start wearing those caps with the bills to the back. All those concussions, probably a lot of my frontal hair loss is from the dead and decaying cells of my concussions :(

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I knelt down to recover a find, and felt a little pressure. No harm releasing a little pressure, right? Nobody was around to hear. So... I ended up sitting on my waders on the way home to avoid soiling the truck seat. I stood in a trash bag while removing the offending articles. Everything was thrown away.

Skippy, I keep awaiting that while hunting. After my colon surgery, I've only 6" of colon left, I was seeing my girlfriend, and she hugged me real hard. Had to back out the doorway, and she wondered why I'd left so quickly. Fortunately had some stuff in my truck I could sit on while driving the hour home......

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
You've jogged my memory.

I'm prone to head injuries. Never broke a bone, but have suffered 5 different concussions and two skull fratures over the years. None while detecting.

But I have been in the woods under a tree recovering a target. Stood up quickly only to bash the top of my skull on a low branch....jacked my neck up for a week! :cussing:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi XrayWolf; know the feeling but I used to see my stars after doing some PCP. I guess at that moment you were a real SpaceShot.!!!:laughing7: I had my own Galaxy.!! :tongue3: Glad your ok. PEACE:RONB :thumbsup:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The rotating variety, like straight out of a Popeye cartoon. Actually a pretty sight, almost like a mini constellation.

I have made a career out of concussions starting as a kid, I have whacked my head so hard a few times that I saw an ultra bright jagged line of pure electricity in the middle of my vision, like an EKG line that won't go away ,,, So compared to that, the stars were pretty mild.

...My head just broke everything it hit. Trees, cars, house, SISTER! :dontknow:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a dumb thing, but the topic really should be devoted to humor in our past experiences. So, I'll throw this one in:

In the Summer of '83, my wife's brother was head of a scout camp in Ohio. It was a virgin site, and I pounded it all Summer that year.

An old friend from North Carolina was up visiting and at the scout camp that weekend. I'm swinging my Garrett and he's tagging along making fun of me. I hit a signal, and popped out an 1894 IH. Showed it to him, and he asked me if my wife was using her detector :)

He didn't find anything, but at least it made him shut up.

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many of you have done like me and be wearing a ring under my glove and wave the pinpointed over a fistful of sand/dirt trying to see if you grabbed the target? 😚

I have done that more than once, especially when I first got my pin pointer! I kept going through dirt saying this makes no sense! what the hell is going on? Oh duh!!!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...My head just broke everything it hit. Trees, cars, house, SISTER! :dontknow:

Head vs monkey bar, monkey bar wins every time [and yes, I have had multiple head strikes, which is why I futilely remind myself to be careful every time I am around them at night].
Maybe I should mount a metal proximity detector on my head that sounds a klaxon if I get within half a ft or any metal.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Just saw an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies where Jethro had him a Double-Naught Spy Hat.....made entirely out of steel! Hey, it's an idea. :laughing7:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually have an old school construction hat made of aluminum, wear it on jobs on occasion even though OSHA would have a fit if they saw me wearing it.

Problem with that is that you, or at least I, would actually clock my head more with it on, as you tend to forget about the extra 4 inches on top of your head and misguage your height constantly ,,, Would lesson the impact though.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Eh, just wear a full-face motorcycle helmet. :laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug a lot of civil war bullets from my yard. I get bored and go out hoping for just one more as I have cleaned it out pretty good by now. Sometimes I get lucky. Every year out front I always get a great lead bullet reading and as always dig up the lead flange on my sewer line one more time. Its kinda neat though to get on all your gear and pin pointer put on the head phones and walk out your door and start swinging. I know all the signals out there and there is a high silver reading I have crossed a few times and will get it soon. Probably a pull tab.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, I give....what's so dumb about that?? :dontknow:

That's cool to be able to go out in your front yard and connect with the Civil War era.

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every year out front I always get a great lead bullet reading and as always dig up the lead flange on my sewer line one more time.

LOL...you never know, some day that lead flange may turn into a bullet or something even better. Remember, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results does in fact work in the Metal Detecting world.

kazeej

Greenie
May 2, 2016
South Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'll admit to that one. I was having trouble finding a small target. I pulled out a small rock, and hit it with my pinpointer. It beeped. I must have checked that rock a dozen times. It beeped every time. It didn't look like anything, but I thought there must be something inside it, so I kept it. I realized later what I had done. Felt like a dunce.
BTW, I remove my rings when I go out detecting now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread