Dating Advice?

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No this is not a matter of the heart, I am 35 years old and married. I was wondering if there is a method to dating relics based on the depth at which they are found? Is there a good rule of thumb to go by such as x years for x depth? I guess reasonably one would assume that the deeper an object is found the older it is but is this a reliable assumption?

The reason I ask is that I found a button that is rather ornate, is in good condition but it was found at a depth of about eight inches. I can't imagine the button being very old given the condition but it was found pretty deep in compacted soil.

For those of you that clicked on this topic looking for dating advice here goes. If you come home and your significant other is watching Snapped and taking notes there's is a good chance you might want to spend less time metal detecting!

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those of you that clicked on this topic looking for dating advice here goes. If you come home and your significant other is watching Snapped and taking notes there's is a good chance you might want to spend less time metal detecting!

that's my wife's favorite show!:dontknow:

It is reasonable to assume, that the deeper the older, but there are too many variables to make a standard of it. Down here, the soil is VERY sandy, and coins literally sink in the turf, thanks to torrential rainy seasons, and turfgrasses that are nothing more than over-fertilized weeds. Guess the best way to date buttons or relics, would be to compare coins found at the same depth.
FWIW, my theory doesn't make sense, when I find wheats on the surface, and zincs at 8 inches, but you get the gist...

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice try, Joey Greco. :laughing7:

I don't think depth is reliable indicator of age.... for our purposes.

I've found flattened aluminum cans at 10", walked 2 swings and nailed a barber dime at 2 inches - in unturned parkland.

Pretty sure they were not drinking Pepsi from aluminum cans back in 1906.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re.: Dating the ornate button: My advice is soft music, low lights, and a bottle of wine. Dating buttons isn't really my thing, but ... to each his own.

;)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned, there are too many variables to draw any firm conclusions. In a given area that hasn't been disturbed by plowing, cultivating, flooding, etc, it's a good indicator, but, soil content, moisture, weight and shape of target, etc, all factor into it's "sink rate".

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Well said, Cudamark. I totally gave up on depth/age correlation when I found a ring-pull tab partially masked by an IHP once.:icon_scratch:

I do think once past the frost line things become more reliable.

Last edited:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You find a small tool dated 1890 four inches in the ground and few feet away a 1920 penny six inches in the ground. One being dropped in 1980 when the barn was cleaned out the other dropped when shiny and new in 1920. Difficult to use strata as a measurement of age with just a handful of unrelated items. Many items over several layers representing a long history of repented activity can have value.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
"A Few Extra Pounds" means just what it says, but the normal practice is to understate the facts.

I must clarify that this is exclusive to "Dating Advice".

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depth/age....("normally"), that is...!
Depends also on activities around your site,
logging, farming, dwelling construction, roads..., etc.
I'd go with a safe cleaning, and try to get a maker's mark or....
Try button books - there's quite a following of collectors - so maybe find it on the Internet.
I'm not into buttons, but they are a pretty common recovery....

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another problem is you never know when it was dropped. A 20 year old quarter dropped 20 years ago and a 100 year old quarter dropped 20 years ago should be at the same depth in the same spot. Now take two undated items in the same scenario and you can't tell their ages because of the depth you found them.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find depth a totally unreliable indicator of age or of date range dropped.the "what is it"forum is a far better tool for dating your finds.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be nice if life was fair and the older you got the deeper you could go. (sigh)

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While we are on topic here's mine:
Don't spend money on women you could just as well spend on a new search coil.
Cash in rings instead of giving them to women
Golden coins in your finding display don't shout at you for coming home late
Women and coins both can be found on beaches, both look good but only one can be caught with just a simple sandscoop.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, comparing treasure finds to women....... the dimmer the light, the better they look!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to ask the relic how old it was, who dropped it, when it was dropped and what it could tell me about the owner.

However between questions I start to notice people looking at me really odd like I was a bigfoot or something, then the day when the EMT's and police came around, said they where there to help me but they did not know how old that stick of gun was, I asked them all and treated me odd because I was not grateful for their "Help".

No idea how to date you relics, but I do know that you should not even bother asking them anything. They are normally just rude and do not speak at all.

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Here some more good advice. When you first get married always be the one that checks the mail. Any wedding invitation that come, throw them away. You will get more detecting done on the weekend & it sure beats sitting in church on a Saturday in the middle of the day with a coat and tie on & you save money not having to buy a wedding gift ....Yes I did that & yes it works :-)

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! I hate going to weddings and funerals....and for many of the same reasons. You're in uncomfortable clothes, the procedure takes entirely too long, too many people are crying (including me! :crybaby2:), you have to smile and mingle with many people you'd rather not see to begin with, you've killed a whole day that you could have used for detecting.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with all here, depth doesn't mean a whole lot. The best way to help you ascertain a date range would be to post your button on TNet, a lot of knowledgeable people here who want to see pictures, pics of a backmark, shank type etc. Many have button books and are glad to help you out, saves you from buying one:laughing7:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And now that my wife walked by the computer and saw the title of this thread I am in trouble :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread