Need help detecting in Iron Rich soil

TedAK

Greenie
Jun 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I recently picked up the hobby again and became a member of Treasure net. I built my first detector, a beat frequency oscillator detector from an article in Popular Science magazine maybe 50 years ago. then there were a few years as a small volume Fischer dealer. dropped out of the sport for 40 years and just had my interest sparked again. Purchased an Omega 8000 through a member her on the forum. I read the manual multiple times and have been practicing in the backyard but I'm having difficulty and would to ask the advice of members with more experience than I have. I think 80% of the success in metal locating is the skill of the operator and I till have a lot to learn.

I'm still practicing in the backyard and was hoping members here could give me some advice. I'm located in Northern NJ. This was the site of colonial iron mines and supplied much of the iron for the cannon balls used in the Revolutionary war. They also mined and forged the chain that was stretched across the Hudson hopefully to deter the British. This area was chosen because often the surface was so rich in iron that they just scooped it up and put it into the smelter. Of course once that was exhausted they had to dig deeper.

The reason I bring this up is because of the difficulty I am having. I will ground balance the coil by raising it up and down on a patch of ground that has no metal. As I move the coil I will get many tones indicating there is metal, I dig the hole and the source of the tone is now on the dirt I threw out of the hole, I break apart the soil and sift to check and there is nothing there. I run the detector coil over the dirt that was once the source of the tone and it no longer produces a tone. This has happened multiple times so the only thing I can imagine is happening is that there is a clump of dirt that has a high iron ore content. But once I break that clump up into individual pieces of dirt it no longer has the concentration needed to trigger the detector. Am I correct in this idea or is there another reason. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting around this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get around this problem? Any suggestions on detecting in ground like this? Any suggestions on what setting I should be using on the detector?. I believe 80% of the success with a detector is learning how to use it, learning its language and I'm not there yet. But I'm willing to put the time in to learn. Thanks in advance for your advice.

All the best,
Ted Sudol

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Ted. Where is your "Sensitivity" set? You probably need to drop your sensitivity to half (5 of 10). The machine is running at 7.1kHz(?), and I'm not sure if you have a concentric coil or a double d. Try dropping your sensitivity and see what happens.:skullflag:

OP
OP
T

TedAK

Greenie
Jun 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry,
Thanks for your advice. I'll try that.
Ted

Top Member Reactions