jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Greetings.

I found an area on a slope that has an exposed area at top and black sand flowing downhill. It is an arid region. There are creeks near or on the mountain. The rocks and gravel get steadily larger away from the flow of blacksand. The area is "fan-shaped"; narrow at a smaller indendation with blacksand emptying in to a wider region also on the slope. It looks similar to one of those foldable asian fans.... i.e. imagine the shape of a black handle and then progressing in color from brown, to grey, and then white furthest from the start if the blacksand. Any suggestions? It is uphill from abandonded placer mines.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is black sand and then there is magnetite. Magnetite sticks to a magnet and only Minelabs can operate there.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Picture

Picture of area.

Attachments

• JZA.jpg
    JZA.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 98

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you want to know?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you sampled it? Is there gold there? Sample - sample - Sample! We can't tell you. :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is in a placer district. I will be there in a couple weeks. It looks like its in a good area. I would likely say it is "near" gold.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
A few questions. Have you sampled? Is there gold there sufficient to turn a profit?

What is the land status? Private? Public?

If private, have you contacted the landowner?

If public, which Federal, State, County, or City agency is the owner or manager of this land? How have you determined that it is open to mineral claim?

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sample in two weeks. It is BLM public land. I could claim it. It just looks interesting in an region filled with placers. The BLM sent maps. The local office us viewing the picture. If there is gold....I will go from there. The visual aspects compared to the area have me intrigued as to what might be flowing down from the rust colored mound after the black area.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you are a greenhorn. If you don't know what you are doing you are ripe pickings for for "Claim Dealers" and scallywags. Be smart. Sample the area heavily, and don't "buy" a claim. :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not buying....staking. I am a beginner. I am also a Lieutenant General and a PhD.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does six years in a sleeping bag in the mountains Northern California make me a tourist? LOL.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does six years in a sleeping bag in the mountains Northern California make me a tourist? LOL.

It doesn't make you a tourist but it doesn't keep you from being taken advantage of by a slick salesman with local knowledge.
It is probably a good idea to just say thanks to those that offered you some assistance when you asked instead of telling them how smart you are.

GL & HH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Massachusetts: Jon

We have tourists here too.

Attachments

• 20160712_131523.jpg
    20160712_131523.jpg
    904.9 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do appreciate your suggestions.... My quips are only anecdotal. I have never been to the region. I am a survivor of mental health related issues. I stopped using drugs only three years ago....

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Metal detecting sounds like more fun than goin to San Bruno on vacation..... If you understand my sense of humor. I have been clean and soberfor only three years.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in other words you know very little about what you doing.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal detecting sounds like more fun than goin to San Bruno on vacation..... If you understand my sense of humor. I have been clean and soberfor only three years.

I cannot comment on the vacation attributes of San Bruno but congrats on being sober. Just maintaining can be a full time job so a hobby like metal detecting or other engaging outdoor activities can really help. GL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread