New guy checking in

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,
My name is Warren, and I am becoming a metal detecting addict. ;D
Last summer, after a long day of working out in the yard, I noticed my platinum wedding band was missing. Afraid I would take that as a sign I was free to fly the coup, my bride was in a panic. I spent a good part of the night, flashlight in hand, trying to retrace my steps of that day. Unfortunately there were a LOT of steps. The next day, I went to the local rental store and rented some no-name, non-functional detector. My search was worse than a failure, it was a frustrating failure. Convinced a detector was the only way I was going to find my ring (and marital peace), I purchased a White's Coinmaster 5900/Di Pro off eBay for $200.00 (a fraction of the value of the ring). The unit quickly arrived, and I gave the included owner's manual a quick scan, set all the controls to 'P' and started a search pattern. Within 5 minutes I located a crumpled up aluminum can pull tab. >:( Then, within another 3 minutes I found my ring! ;D I had gotten lucky in a couple ways. Not only did I have my wedding band back, a happy bride, but, completely uneducated and shooting in the dark, I had managed to purchase a great detector in brand new condition for just a small investment.
I allowed the detector to sit in the closet until last week. I had intended to get it out and work with it all summer and fall but had simply not gotten around to it. Finally, I decided to take the bull by the horns. I have gone out into my yard 4 times now this week to practice using it.
Lurking this forum, I have learned quite a lot in a very short amount of time, and intend to "go public" early this coming Saturday morning. I am looking forward to seeing what kind of loot I can dig up! Eventually, I want to collect some old topo maps of the local area and get into some relic hunting, searching old munitions manufacturing sites, abandoned schools, and even some ghost towns.
Thanks for being here, and making this such an inspirational forum!
Warren

Upvote 0

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Sounds like you are about to enter" THE DETECTING ZONE "! Leave the TV alone. Do not attempt to elude the calling of your detector. You are about to suffer a life long addiction of detecting. BE prepared to be relived of all stress, except for moments when you suffer from lack of detecting time. Welcome to the forum & be sure to post your finds. We are all interested. Spotz

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may want to "loss" the ring again!tell her that you lost it digging up a find"somewhere"when your wife sees you spending time doing the swing thing!she'll think your seeing other chicks.tell her"honey found it twice now is this not a GREAT hobby "we"both enjoy!? ;D

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Good story! Keep em coming!

HH

Lonewolfe

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Welcome Warren. Now that you've taken the 1st of many steps to come , I think you'll enjoy the hobby. The next step after learning your machine is to check out your local library and historical society. You can probably get a copy of the maps you seek from them or at least make copies of the areas that your interested in. A few 8 1/2x11's are easier to handle out in the field and if put in plastice sheets, a grease pencil can be wiped off. HH

J

Jim Cal

Welcome to the forum Warren! Glad you were able to find your ring and in the process stumble upon a really fantastic hobby. Good luck! Jim Cal

TOWcritter

Hey Warren! You either lucked out (finding your ring) or you're doomed to lurk here FOREVER!!! Or....Maybe both!~ Welcome to the best detecting forum on the web. Period! You can learn alot by listening to these guys and gals. YES! GALS!! There are some pretty ( and I mean pretty ) girls here swinging some mighty fine sticks out there. They are finding more than the guys I'm sure. Something about more patience I think. Anyway, you'll like what you find here. Stick around and post lots of pics!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard Warren! That was a great story, and yes, you got a pretty decent machine! We are all looking forward to seeing some cool finds in the future!! Good luck, and happy hunting!!

M

mrmark55

Welcome Warren,

Cool Story....Now you are an official detector junkie. Things will never be the same again!

Mr Mark 8)

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
Welcome aboard. I have been hunting now for a couple of months and have only found big piles of junk. Dont get me wrong. I ain't complaining. Its all treasures to me. Its just a matter of time, that and a little luck before I hit it big. Reasearch and perseverance will pay off for ya. HH.
CHRIS

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
Oh yeah. My dad always said theres no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people that ask questions. Just kidding. I have found more information from the nice people on this forum than anywhere else. I look forward to your find posts and if you need any info, post your questions and they will be answered very quickly.HH.

CHRIS

OP
OP
a4wdguy

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, guys!
That's a really great tip on the maps. Well worth the admission price already! :D

I got drafted to drive the ladies down to an auction in the morning (if the snow isn't too deep), so I'll have to wait until the afternoon to hit the local school playground. >:(
But, I did practice detecting the nails in the subfloor of my house earlier this evening! ;D

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Looking forward to seeing your digs online here Warren!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread