Volume switch went bad on GGA.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently, bought GGA headphones and it developed the famous static / scratchy noise everytime I bumped the volume knob.

Reached out to OBN for advice on how to take it apart, since we know he probably knows everything about water detectors and modifications.

His advice is most appreciated, since I have been known to make things worst sometimes.

Man has to do what he has to do sometimes.

Anyway, used a small screw driver at the bottom of ear cup to pry between the black and gray. This allowed me to pop it apart. Be careful the wires could be glued to the ear cup housing. Mine wasn't.

I used telephone connector blocks that have silicone inside making waterproof, rather than soldering.

I wanted to try this first, since it was easier than iron, shrink, silicone.
If it doesn't work, I'll redo it.

Little disappointed in the switch, does not appear to have any waterproofing on external shaft. But I could be wrong. Anyway, did not last long. Less than 3 months. But I think it is solid now. I'll miss the feature, but I can live without it. Especially without the scratchy noise. Hope this helps others. And thank you OBN for all the help you have given me. God bless!
20160714_193417.jpg

Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing happened to mine, I emailed them and they said send them back and they sent me a new pair.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread