Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much time to get outside or get on T-Net in recent months, and I know I’ve missed a lot. I did have a couple of days off this last week to look after the kids while my wife is at a conference and was able to detect three times(!) with some nice results.

The Connecticut looks to be a Miller 9-E/W-4500, and I am pleased as punch with the obverse details. Actual hair strands! We all know that the population figures on these are probably much higher than what is officially known, but Whitman pegs this as a URS-8 (65-124 known), so that makes this my third rarest coin find and 6th identifiable pre-US mint American copper in 10 months. I have to be closing in on a Vermont copper. If I don't find one soon I may die of irony poisoning.

The Canadian one sou or half penny bank token (“Habitant” token) was a totally unexpected find. I’d never seen one before and the condition out of the ground made me think it was at least 100 years younger than it is. I think the deformation and hole add real character, and wouldn't change those features for a flawless example. Apparently four banks were permitted to coin these and two sous pennies to make up for a shortage of small currency; this one was made by the City Bank. A great window into Lower Canada’s currency history, something about which I was entirely ignorant until finding this (gotta love this hobby): Coins and Canada - Coins and Canada - Articles on tokens and medals

The Federal Riflemen button dates to 1820-30s. It says “Superb Imperial Standard” on the back, conforming to Albert RF 26A. I’m half tempted to restore it a bit more, but think I’ll leave it be for a while and enjoy the details as they are.

Some nice dandy buttons, large crotal bell fragment, and some other nice bits and bobs round out the harvest. The spoon, compact, and cross are all 20th century interloper drops.

Hope everyone is having a good summer
Group 1.2.JPG group 1.JPG 1788 Obverse - very dirty.JPG 1788 Obverse2.JPG 1788 Reverse.JPG Whitman 1.JPG habitant clean obverse.JPG habitant clean reverse.JPG group 2.JPG militia dirty.JPG militia clean.JPG Alberts capture.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! :notworthy:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sweet. And I love the crotal bell fragments, and other such green-patina copper fragments. Those age indicators are so fun to find !

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet. And I love the crotal bell fragments, and other such green-patina copper fragments. Those age indicators are so fun to find !

Thanks, Tom. Agreed.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now, if we had a North American Colonial forum, I might not have lost the battle to dignity by bumping my own cold post for the first time.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Now, if we had a North American Colonial forum, I might not have lost the battle to dignity by bumping my own cold post for the first time.

ha! I know the jab that was meant to address. :) However, notice when you put the key Identifiers in your title, on the regular pages (ie.: 1788, 1837, militia, etc...) that those who lean in the direction of such finds, will click on it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great CT and button! I like the days getting a good one of each, and unlike most others I am usually missing the coin.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer finds :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ha! I know the jab that was meant to address. :) However, notice when you put the key Identifiers in your title, on the regular pages (ie.: 1788, 1837, militia, etc...) that those who lean in the direction of such finds, will click on it.

Thanks, Tom. I actually enjoyed your humor on that thread. Who knew east coast/west coast tensions didn't pass with Tupac?? : )

Great CT and button! I like the days getting a good one of each, and unlike most others I am usually missing the coin.

I feel fortunate to score a dandy button, so a relic/coin double really is a special feeling. I had hoped that you and other northerly folks might like seeing the bank token.

killer finds :icon_thumright:

Thanks man

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That particular token doesn't show up much in my area. I can only think of one I've dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions