Time to keep Metal Detecting in the past... :(

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will no longer be a part of this site so if Moderators wish to delete this account go ahead. It turns out this Hobby really is not for everyone... I mean this hobby cost a lot of money in the beginning... I need about 5-10 different Detectors for just different places and I cant do that I dont have a vehicle...I can barely afford to get one Detector and well this hobby is for people who have money and a lot of it. So thanks for the support and I will find a different hobby... one that pays off, because no one buys relics I tried there is no market for that and I am in it for money so lol yeah.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Take care good luck in what you chose .I figure just leaves more in the ground for someone else to find so in that aspect thank you

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes a certain type person to enjoy finding stuff, even pennies. Tournament Bass fishing isn't for everyone either and ya don't even eat the fish.

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are in this situation you have bigger problems than worrying about hobbies...

Or golfing...my country club yearly fees are enough to by a high end machine every year and thats the cheapest country club around...the club 1 mile from my house has a 50k entry fee and $500 a month fee

Or surfing...my paddleboard was $1500 and I have two shortboards each around $600. They all need to be replaced every few years. My wetsuits last about 1 yr.

Or the gym...between martial arts and golds I spend $100 a month.

Or target shooting...just to shoot my guns I spend maybe $150-$200 on just ammo to shoot for 2 hrs. That doesnt include the cost of the guns, maintenance, or range fees

Metal detecting is the ONLY one of my hobbies where there is a chance to make money. Just this summer I have probably found several hundred dollars worth of gold, silver, and clad. Guess how much I made golfing this summer lol?

You my friend are a BALLERRRRR hahaha when do u find time to work? Hmmm i should take up ur career field hahaha

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked over his other posts and it seems he had a budget of around 2k. He was given some sound advice, from getting a CTX, to an XP, to spending that 2k on dedicated land and water machines. Not sure why the OP got frustrated. I'm in the hobby because it's fun and my kids enjoy it as well. It provides an opportunity for us to get out and do something as a family. This hobby makes learning about history fun for the kids...just the other day my daughter was researching where civil war positions were, axis of advance, and possible campsite locations. It sure beats playing Pokemon on their iPhone, you know what I mean? ...and at the end of the day, they have the chance to hold history in their hands all due to their research.

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So shean since u hangin it up y dont u pass that detector this way hahaha just some food for thought lol

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think he got around to purchasing one yet.

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thay could be the whole reason of not finding anything hahaha

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpeg
It takes a certain type person to enjoy finding stuff, even pennies...

Some of zincs I've been digging look so bad they need reburial... I did find an interesting 1/2 penny the other day, though.
Not a rotten zinc but a copper. Looks like someone cut it in half with a hatchet. It's a keeper.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want a "hobby" to make money with, grab yourself a cane pole and dig some worms, catch fish, then sell fresh fish. I promise you it'll be hard work finding buyers, but you CAN find them. ...And you'll get lots of fishing time in!! :thumbsup:

Now, there's the license, where to go fishing, how to package the fish, how to sell the fish without being required to have a special permit (I doubt that's possible anymore), and finally, trying to catch fish (legally) while out on the beat trying to sell what you've already caught.

I feel for ya' (yeah, I'm an old softie!). But I have no sympathy for giving up. Same thing with prospecting - people think they can grab a shovel and a gold pan and go anywhere in California, dig any dirt and get rich. There's SSSSOOOOOOOO much learning and research and "WORK" involved. Not to mention time. Unless you're a natural prodigy at something, you will require LOTS of time to become "rather good" at anything you choose to do, hobby or not.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the many things I love about this hobby is the built in filter.

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I haven't even got my first MD yet but I think this will be quite a cheap hobby compared to my last one Astrophotography, my setup was about 15K.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1338171

Some of zincs I've been digging look so bad they need reburial... I did find an interesting 1/2 penny the other day, though.
Not a rotten zinc but a copper. Looks like someone cut it in half with a hatchet. It's a keeper.

lol ! heh...

" Some of zincs I've been digging look so bad they need reburial "

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
1k is enough to get an AT pro, a 5x8 coil, pinpointer and a sandscoop, if you take a cheaper detector you can beat 500 easily. Doesn't take long to earn that back even if all you dig is coins :dontknow:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anyone expects to make money metal detecting i suggest don't quit your day job.

As most everyone else has said hobbies are expensive and they are just hobbies. You could make more money on a hot day selling koolaid. Actually metal detecting is a rather inexpensive hobby if you want to be thrifty and stick with an inexpensive basic detector. The inexpensive ones are far better than a good one from 30+ years ago.

On the other hand what makes hobbies expensive is you always want the newest and best device you can afford and before long you have more than you ever expected you would buy when you started. Many hobbies can turn in to a full time occupation but metal detecting sure isn't one of them...LOL

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Shaen, you don't need 5-10 different detectors, just one. If you don't pick up a signal from some buried treasure because you have the wrong detector, you'll never know it anyway.
Then there's always rock hounding where you usually don't need a detector.
If you think this hobby is expensive, try anything with wings.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I type this I'm waiting for my freshly tumbled coins to dry. Should pay off nicely to the tune of another couple hundred in clad, not counting the value of the jewelry and relics found :). Good luck in your new profitable hobby!

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why I like .22LR. Only $20 a box of 50 for the best stuff. And your match rifle lasts a whole lot longer, too. Still not cheap though.

X39 baby! Nearly as cheap as .22 during panics and easier to find! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions