Time to keep Metal Detecting in the past... :(

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will no longer be a part of this site so if Moderators wish to delete this account go ahead. It turns out this Hobby really is not for everyone... I mean this hobby cost a lot of money in the beginning... I need about 5-10 different Detectors for just different places and I cant do that I dont have a vehicle...I can barely afford to get one Detector and well this hobby is for people who have money and a lot of it. So thanks for the support and I will find a different hobby... one that pays off, because no one buys relics I tried there is no market for that and I am in it for money so lol yeah.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well sorry we could not help you better. Looks like everyone tried to help. But if you give up that easy this hobby is just not for you. It takes dedication,lots of batteries, blood sweat and tears and it pays nothing ....but we get our crazy bragging rights and high accolades here among friends and the occasional happy dances over a toasted relic.
Cheers and good luck!
:hello:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are in this situation you have bigger problems than worrying about hobbies...

Or golfing...my country club yearly fees are enough to by a high end machine every year and thats the cheapest country club around...the club 1 mile from my house has a 50k entry fee and $500 a month fee

Or surfing...my paddleboard was $1500 and I have two shortboards each around $600. They all need to be replaced every few years. My wetsuits last about 1 yr.

Or the gym...between martial arts and golds I spend $100 a month.

Or target shooting...just to shoot my guns I spend maybe $150-$200 on just ammo to shoot for 2 hrs. That doesnt include the cost of the guns, maintenance, or range fees

Metal detecting is the ONLY one of my hobbies where there is a chance to make money. Just this summer I have probably found several hundred dollars worth of gold, silver, and clad. Guess how much I made golfing this summer lol?
You must not have to work for a living or were born to a wealthy family ... It seems to me you spend all your time playing...

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started with a bounty hunter gold digger upgraded to a cheap ace 150, a gerber knife and just my pockets is all i need. No need to give up it will pay as soon as u get ur coil over the right treasure. I havmt even came close to breaking even yet for the ace 150 yet but scrolling thru this site everyday keeps me going cuz ITS out there jist be patient.

I love my ace 150 I'm keeping mine no matter what I get next. It has payed for itself 3 times at least. Iv hit a park that I know many times, then I told a buddy of mine who has a ctx 3030 about that park and he spent 7 hours didn't find one thing.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I decided to get into this Hobby hot and heavy. I invested in a Minelab CTX 3030. So far I am about $75.00 toward the purchase of my investment. I figure in 30 Years at this rate I will have almost paid off my investment. Problem is I am 67 Years young. BaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa. I am in deep Dodo. But I will keep "Plugging" away.
The original Toolman

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobbies are supposed to pay off in the enjoyment of doing them. Its not a hobby if you are trying to make money and or make a living off of it. Its job or business. And some of the folks here are right you can pickup a decent metal detector for pretty cheap that does great. The problem with forum is people are always touting the latest and greatest gear. Thats all fine and good but most of us have one maybe 2 metal detectors and stick with them. So I am not trying to be mean buy maybe you need some employment so you can get a car and that sort of thing first before going out to play in a hobby. Just my 2 cents.

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
See ya! You are right, this hobby is not for everyone. Certainly not a get rich kind of hobby but one that is a lot of fun and rewarding for many but to get rich for only a few. My reward has been the great people I have met and made friends with over the 45 years I have been in the hobby. My friends are priceless. Not too many hobbies one can have that you can do and come home with more money in your pocket than you left home with. Oh, you do not need 10 detectors for this hobby. Don't even need to spend a lot of money for one either. Good luck in your new hobby, I think you are going to need it.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all about having a good time, and any day of fishing (in this case, dirt fishing), is better than a day of work. Sometimes you make a good catch, and sometimes you don't. Sometimes, I feel like I'm just doing my share cleaning up the trash in an area... ^_^

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 1st detector (an el cheapo) paid for itself in 2 months and I became addicted to this hobby. I then upgraded to a used mid level detector that paid for itself in 5-6 months. The 1st 8 month I dug about $511 and mainly hit public lands. In 2015 I primarily hunted permissions and dug over $360. I have not sold my 1877 IHC yet, but it's got to be worth over a grand not to count the few gold pieces I can sell for scrap. So far this season I have dug $172. Yesterday's clad haul was over $16.
Anything worth while takes time and persistence. I have seen many great finds with lower end detectors.

Good luck in getting into a hobby that pays off.

My best treasures are the friends I have made here on tnet, and I didn't need a car nor an expensive detector for that.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, as my Mom used to say, don't let the door hitchya where the Lord splitchya.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make a little money with a Whammy Doodle. There is a market for fishing worms.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool Less Competition, See My Avatar its worth enough to Buy A Whole New Set up for My Self, found with my second Detector Red found A five Doller bill while out Today Paid for the Gas And Batteries for the weekend

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, this post still has some legs!?!?

I joined several forums when I began detecting about 4 years ago. I've seen a marked increase in the number of people both entering and exiting this hobby in loud and dramatic fashion. Where's everyone getting all these preconceived notions...something in the water?? If I only had a nickel for every time I've seen "I've done a ton of research" and " I saw A video" ,used on opposite ends of the same sentence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread