Time to keep Metal Detecting in the past... :(

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will no longer be a part of this site so if Moderators wish to delete this account go ahead. It turns out this Hobby really is not for everyone... I mean this hobby cost a lot of money in the beginning... I need about 5-10 different Detectors for just different places and I cant do that I dont have a vehicle...I can barely afford to get one Detector and well this hobby is for people who have money and a lot of it. So thanks for the support and I will find a different hobby... one that pays off, because no one buys relics I tried there is no market for that and I am in it for money so lol yeah.

Upvote 0

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will no longer be a part of this site so if Moderators wish to delete this account go ahead. It turns out this Hobby really is not for everyone... I mean this hobby cost a lot of money in the beginning... I need about 5-10 different Detectors for just different places and I cant do that I dont have a vehicle...I can barely afford to get one Detector and well this hobby is for people who have money and a lot of it. So thanks for the support and I will find a different hobby... one that pays off, because no one buys relics I tried there is no market for that and I am in it for money so lol yeah.

Seriously? You can probably find a used detector for under $50 if you look around, use a $10 knife for digging, a $2 home depot nail pouch for your finds, and ride you bicycle or skateboard from park to park...
Sort of like going fishing, an old cane pole and a can of worms is all you really need; you'll probably even find a hook and some line by the lake.
You don't need the best stuff just to have fun. Get what you want when you can afford it.

^_^

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunted with only one detector for about 20 years and did very well with it .....AND as for relics you are right they are just scrap iron to me...

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yup...not for everyone,thank goodness.good luck and farewell

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" I will find a different hobby... one that pays off "

Good luck with that. heh

Name one "hobby"... as you say... that "pays off" consistently.

And... you obviously do not have a grasp on the word Hobby... so here is the first definition of it for you...

1. an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
"her hobbies are reading and gardening"

synonyms: pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit; More

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What the heck AARC, I thought it was SPORT it's so much hard work! :laughing7:

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the heck AARC, I thought it was SPORT it's so much hard work! :laughing7:

For me it is neither...

For me... Its just a way of life.

Since as far back as I can remember... I have looked to the ground...
To give me / give up interesting and neat things.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, if you come into this hobby looking to make money you've chosen the wrong hobby. I did two hours in the water yesterday, found a clad dime and a matchbox toy car. It was a solid 90 minutes before I even got a repeatable signal. I'd had trouble with the Excal the last time I was out, so I was constantly checking to see if the beast was really working = frustrating!

But:

1) I was out hunting.
2) I was in the water.
3) A couple of the views were quite lovely - I still like girls :)
4) It was a beautiful day
5) I wasn't sitting here reading TNet posts
6) The dream of my first gold since 1988 is still just as strong.
7) I can't wait to get back out again, land or water.

This hobby can be very frustrating - but the dream is still alive.

Maybe your priorities are wrong!

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started with a bounty hunter gold digger upgraded to a cheap ace 150, a gerber knife and just my pockets is all i need. No need to give up it will pay as soon as u get ur coil over the right treasure. I havmt even came close to breaking even yet for the ace 150 yet but scrolling thru this site everyday keeps me going cuz ITS out there jist be patient.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
You think this hobby is expensive, um, is this your first hobby?

If you need a cheaper hobby, perhaps try whittling.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and BTW...

ALL "hobbies" that require "equipment" or "devices" are expensive.

If you think that Mding is expensive... don't take up Diving. heh

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If you need a cheaper hobby, perhaps try whittling.

Apparently the user wasn't looking for a hobby at all, maybe he was looking for a part time job...

Well, he could focus on the job of removing metallic trash from the ground or water, and occasionally find a zincoln for compensation. That saves the environment and cleans up trashy areas. At the same time he could be picking up broken glass making the grounds safer for children.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dont have a vehicle

If you are in this situation you have bigger problems than worrying about hobbies...

Oh and BTW...

ALL "hobbies" that require "equipment" or "devices" are expensive.

If you think that Mding is expensive... don't take up Diving. heh

Or golfing...my country club yearly fees are enough to by a high end machine every year and thats the cheapest country club around...the club 1 mile from my house has a 50k entry fee and $500 a month fee

Or surfing...my paddleboard was $1500 and I have two shortboards each around $600. They all need to be replaced every few years. My wetsuits last about 1 yr.

Or the gym...between martial arts and golds I spend $100 a month.

Or target shooting...just to shoot my guns I spend maybe $150-$200 on just ammo to shoot for 2 hrs. That doesnt include the cost of the guns, maintenance, or range fees

Metal detecting is the ONLY one of my hobbies where there is a chance to make money. Just this summer I have probably found several hundred dollars worth of gold, silver, and clad. Guess how much I made golfing this summer lol?

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to shoot for fun, still do but not as often.

At $1.00 per round for match grade ammo there were times I'd dump $60 in twenty minutes. $300 in one weekend was not unusual just burning powder. It's never paid me back monetarily, and unless I transition to bank jobs it never will.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My initial outlay of cash was minimal........about $225 for detector and pointer. My trowel, pointed digger and trash bucket were already part of my household inventory. The inner tube (dirt catcher) was given to me by a local tire shop. I found my large knife/saw on one of my first hunts.........MDing has already netted me close to $300 in 7 months of active detecting.

My hunts are part of my normal everyday travels, so no additional gas costs. Batteries are about $10 every other month.........

I've had the pleasure of finding and returning a lost ring. Also was able to find an attic cashe hidden by a man over 40 years ago and seeing the joy of the now 70 year old daughter as she clutched a part of her family past............

I'm out in the fresh air and sunshine, getting exercise and looking for what ever is there, instead of sitting around watching the boob tube and munching because of boredom..........

I've met other local mders and have networked with them for info and story telling.........

My wife is understanding of the time I spend mding, she knows it helps me unwind and she does like some of the jewelry...........

Sorry, I'm not getting your disdain.........but, good luck to you in whatever venture holds your interest.............

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to shoot for fun, still do but not as often.

At $1.00 per round for match grade ammo there were times I'd dump $60 in twenty minutes. $300 in one weekend was not unusual just burning powder. It's never paid me back monetarily, and unless I transition to bank jobs it never will.

Why I like .22LR. Only $20 a box of 50 for the best stuff. And your match rifle lasts a whole lot longer, too. Still not cheap though.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry people but (in my never humble opinion), the only proper response on this thread should be "Buh-bye." 8-)

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
This hobby is NOT for everyone. You will NOT make enough in finds to quit your day job. You may spend $1200 to find .30 cents. I never bought any fishing poles. Why? Because I researched the hobby and knew it wasn't for me. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread