Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this a few years ago in Detroit at a nondescript empty lot ,,, Actually had a long and informative post about it at GLMD but it has disappeared with the reorganization going on over there. Threw it in a box and forgot about it, found it again now my interest is rekindled.

John Quincy Adams presidential medallion, possibly given to indians as peace offerings. Info is scarce, had a couple links but lost them or no longer active, I did read there were no more than a dozen or so minted. Took it to a few coins shows, one guy said he was sure it was legit, another said he was sure it was fake, another said he wasn't sure. Really not a whole lot of folks that know mych about these things.
I think there were 2 varieties, once a silver alloy and another a "pot metal" variety, if I remember the term correctly. This if legit appears to be the latter, it feels almost like lead, and I understand lead is an alloy in the metal. Details are a bit worn, is about 1-7/8" in diameter and weighs 1.9 oz [53.9 g's] - I had a link with these specs and it was just about spot on.

So obviously this has the potential to be quite valuable if legit, was wondering if anyone has any info on these. I guess I should bite the bullet and send it into PCGS for authentication, haven't been able to bring myself to do that so far. They used to do on the spot evaluations at certain coin shows but haven't seen them do that in a while.

Attachments

• IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    789.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    776.4 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

halfbuck

Greenie
May 1, 2016
mass.
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't find anything on this coin. But its very cool. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yeah, "white metal" I think is the term I was thinking of, not pot metal.

In this condition if legit would probably be worth a few $K, I remember reading these white metal ones are rarer than the silver and hence more valuable. I think I remember reading only 8 or so are known to exist, seems too good to be true but you never know.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seen it, I recall hearing the opposite, but that was a couple years ago.
Any case, step one is authentication, unless I can find a local expert might have to ship it off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread