IDing with regards to Sensitivity

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I was using my detector today and came up with a question.

I usually run my sensitivity above the factory preset level. I have never had much faith in my ID meter.

Today I was paying more attention to my signals, in relation to ID and depth readings. I turned all my knobs to the factory settings and I was surprised at the accuracy of the readings.

I guess my question is;

Is any given detector at its optimum performance level when the controls are on the presets?

I am assuming that the factory callibrates all the features and electronics of a unit to the most accurate levels. I realize that we can tweek our machines to perform better in differing situations. It just appeared to me that when I was running the higher sensitivity, my ID meter was not as accurate. Or, maybe I am just losing it.

Any ideas on this would be a big help! Thanks.........ME in WV

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you suspect is true. The factory has preset levels indicated for best performance in most areas. Natch, some places call for more or less. Many think the detector gets more depth too when Sens. is maxed out, when the opposite is true due to the coil seeing more of the minerals in the field and a deeper target getting masked out. In the instance your talking about, the meter is calibrated for the presets.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is any given detector at its optimum performance level when the controls are on the presets?

Yes. In the same way a broken clock is exactly correct twice a day.

The factory presets should be for something like the average settings to satisfy the average conditions for normal metal detecting. If your soil conditions and electrical surroundings fall inside the preset ranges you're OK. Even a slight chance it will be optimal for the conditions at that moment. There is also the risk that if you start making adjustments without good reason you'll end up in worse tune than the factory presets for conditions.

Some detectors have a tendency to mis-use the word "automatic" in describing locked settngs.

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Thanks guys, for confirming what I was thinking.

Hope this helps others who are trying to learn thier machines also. I figure it is best to really get to know your machine by first setting it up on the presets and using the heck out of it until you are very familiar with the unit.
Once you are totaly comfortable with the units operation, then you can start to tweek it.

Thanks again!....................HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions