Gold Question

BrianMiller8

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2016
Oregon Visting
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter, XP Deus, Fisher F22, Garrett ACE 250, CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So me and my Daughter, & Son are heading out towards Eastern Oregon area to Metal Detect. Mainly after Gold out that way so I am wanting to know what is the best machine out there that is more capable of finding Gold than others, I have a XP Deus,(Gold Edition) CTX 3030, and many others but no Gold Machines yet. What about the GPX 5000 (reviews claim its made for gold, it finds gold).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BrianMiller8

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2016
Oregon Visting
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was told by some one else that the Gold Racer beat's down the GPX anyday so I might have a glance at that instead, thanks all.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't believe for a second that the racer can beat a GPX. Your DEUS should be a great choice in the higher freqs. I don't know how well the DEUS handles bad ground, but I know the GPX was made for gold in hot soil. Really depends on the specifics of the location.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told by some one else that the Gold Racer beat's down the GPX anyday so I might have a glance at that instead, thanks all.

Sorry, but the dealer that told you that lied.

Multi-frequency machines are BAD for detecting gold nuggets. You need either a single frequency VLF operating at at least 14kHz (better at 18-19kHz), or a Pulse Induction machine like the Minelab SD, GP, GPX or GPZ machines.

The Minelab GPZ 7000 is the KING of gold nugget hunting - Bar none. :occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good bang for the buck machine is a Fisher Gold Bug 2. It's very good on tiny nuggets, but, doesn't go as deep as the Minelabs. The GPX4500 is a pretty good "bargain" at the moment. I believe it's being discontinued and the current stock is at a discount. It will still be serviced for some time and the accessories will swap with other GPX's, so, I would worry about it being obsolete and/or unrepairable.

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold racer DOES NOT beat the GPX by any means. Its a decent VLF detector for gold. Now you have that XP Dues use the prospecting program you will be fine. If this is just a one time deal its hard to say spend the money on a GPX 5000. I have lots of time detecting for gold in the desert and do have a few gold machines including a gpx 4500 and gold racer. I don't own the XP but there are plenty of people finding nuggets with the thing from what I heard. Just watch your ground balance and listen up for zip zip sometimes it will be faint at first so you will dig a little and it gets louder.. You get the point. Do your homework and don't go listening to everyone's opinion on the forums thats the reason I bought a Gold Racer and I honestly will never buy a off brand again. It does work fine but other VLF detectors that I have used GMT GB II are more stable if you are going VLF. Bottom line go use your XP DUES you will do fine but even if you had a GPX 7000 and were to spend what 8 grand on the thing doesn't mean you will find one little grain of gold its just how it is. Half these you tube and tv shows plant the stuff for the camera.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrianMiller8

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2016
Oregon Visting
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, figured that out as well reading more reviews about that too. So I only borrowed the Minelab CTX before tried it a little until returning it never got to use it much. I have never tried the Garrett ATX either, I was told though the Minelab CTX and the Garrett are very good Detectors and one should own both. What do you all think? is it worth it having both then just one of them, the ATX as my main Prospecting unit, my 3030 as my main Relic finder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread