Broke my detector today

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can this be fixed by myself ?? Slipped on a rock and it snapped right in half ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469561103.962882.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469561126.357812.jpg

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Whites told me it would have to be fixed by them because of where the break is . I tried in weld steel epoxy it didn't work so now I'll try finding a section of tubing that could fit within the broken shaft then weld it
I would say that if you wanted a permanent fix and done right ... You should send it back to Whites no matter how you fix it your self it is sure to break again..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Quote deleted by mod for rule violation by Baker)

White's will NOT fix it for free. It is not a manufacture defect, he fell and broke the shaft in two. They also do NOT fix any problems you have for FREE. If you have a legitimate problem that is covered under warranty they will fix it at no cost (sometimes you still have to pay shipping one way, sometimes you don't depending on who you talk to and what mood they are in). White's does not have a blanket lifetime warranty on any item the sell.
The failure was caused by the user not a factory defect... I would contact Whites and see what the cost would be to repair it, a patch job at a stress point will not last long....

FYI, do not attack members, this includes supporting vendors.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The broken part is attached to the trigger mechanism, but the part that broke is the part of the shaft that leads to, and supports the coil, so it will have a lot of torque on it as the detector is swung and bumped into things.

JB Weld may work (though I am skeptical), just saying if it were me, and I wanted a permanent fix, I'd use the inner sleeve, and/or a weld.

Said he tried something and it didn't work, not being there I have no idea exactly what transpired, if he used putty or something else, but in any case another method is needed.
There is always plan B...duct tape!

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly, an epoxy will not take that torque and stress. At least not for very long. If you are intent on fixing it yourself, see my earlier post about fitting a sleeve inside the existing tube. If not, I'd buy a new shaft.

As mentioned in another post, it needs internal reinforcement, as well as good adhesive. Either a metal sleeve a minimum of 1" long (1/2" in each side) or wooden dowel, split for wires to go through, should do the trick. Make sure the reinforcement is snug fitting, not undersized. Quality, slow-cure epoxy only; JB Weld would be a perfect choice. A little paint over the repair, and get back out there.. Easy fix. ^_^

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say that if you wanted a permanent fix and done right ... You should send it back to Whites no matter how you fix it your self it is sure to break again..

As mentioned in another post, it needs internal reinforcement, as well as good adhesive. Either a metal sleeve a minimum of 1" long (1/2" in each side) or wooden dowel, split for wires to go through, should do the trick. Make sure the reinforcement is snug fitting, not undersized. Quality, slow-cure epoxy only; JB Weld would be a perfect choice. A little paint over the repair, and get back out there.. Easy fix. ^_^

Takes too much for me to describe the best "fix" that I have in mind. I sent a PM saying I would fix it at cost if he wanted.

Welding is gonna be tough - the metal is just too thin. Needs internal reinforcement, mechanical 'locking' to prevent the shaft from spinning (torque), and then something like that fiber wrap on the outside for overall reinforcement.

The BEST fix would be to find a new piece, or a replacement piece from another detector. Might possibly even be able to take an entire other MD, swap out the coil, display, etc, then see how it works. Problem with that is there are so many different styles and designs - not to mention having that switch on the bottom side. Many detectors won't have that.

....As he paid $160 for the entire unit (used), it's entirely possible he may just have to fork over the money for a different machine altogether.

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
Send it in. Yes, you can fix it but nothing you do will be a permimant fix. It will just break again where you fixed it. Over the years I have spent too much money trying to fix something and ended up costing me more than it would have to have an expert do it right the first time. Send it in.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; DO NONE OF THE ABOVE.!!! It is a Whites Detector. Send it to Whites and they will repair it CORRECTLY for "FREE" ok. Problem Solved.!! PEACE:RONB

I once traded for an MXT that wasn't working correctly and it was in bad shape as well. I sent it into whites to give it a go over. I expected to spend some money on repairs. It came back and it looked brand new and they replaced the coil. Kid you not, no charge. That was years back but if I were Tanz I'd send it into whites too.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more they stick out the display screens the easier they are to break. My F-75 head snapped right off. I sent it back and they glued it back on! I could have done that. They need to mount these heads closer to the shafts. Metal detecting is not always a walk in the park!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sadly, a lot of the problem falls on the part of engineering. A lot, but not nearly all. The rest falls on manufacturing, and figuring out how to get the largest return possible from the least investment possible.

There are newer and stronger materials that are super lightweight - like carbon fiber, for example. It seems like some manufacturers are starting to use these newer materials, but they need to be more widely utilized. Also, there are varying strengths of carbon fiber. Find a good thing, and some penny-pinching cheapskate will figure out how to keep the "Headline Advertising", while also lowering the quality of the materials. It's all a game. ...A financial game. Nobody seems to understand anymore that if they would simply use the best possible materials and make the best possible equipment, that hardcore customers would be more than happy to pay the price difference. (speaking generally - not just about MD's)

Back in the day when I was heavy into woodworking, I used Delta tools exclusively. Their quality to price ratio was 2nd to none. Over the years, I watched as Chinese-made tools started coming into the marketplace. After that, there was a slow but steady decline in tool craftsmanship and quality. It got so bad that if I hadn't injured my neck, I was about ready to start creating a line of power tools that WOULD be 2nd to none! For people who wanted to buy tools ready to work, they'd have that option. Or they could build from plans. I never got to make that dream happen. Fortunately others have. And UNfortunately, it didn't go over as well as I thought it would have. ...Maybe the same thing for MD's - I dunno. Doesn't seem people put nearly as much stock in the phrase "highest quality" anymore.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
If you decide to do it yourself, use JB Weld. Those repairs won't break. I have bonds on a 1995 Goldwing done over a decade ago, on side cover tabs. They've been pryed off and removed dozens of times over the years and not one tab has failed. The surrounding, existing original material will break before the JB Weld bond.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 small strips of sheet metal and 4 pop rivets - you're back in business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread