Broke my detector today

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can this be fixed by myself ?? Slipped on a rock and it snapped right in half ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469561103.962882.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469561126.357812.jpg

Upvote 0

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
If all the wiring is in place it looks like you need to bond it back together like a broken cup.
Crazy glue is not enough, you need a better, thicker bonding agent to keep it together permanently...if sending it in to be repaired is not a chosen option.

The JB Weld company has all kinds of products that enable permanent fixes for all kinds of surfaces and materials.
There might be other brands too, but I have used some of this company's products and when they say permanently bonded they mean it.

http://www.jbweld.com/collections/all

Probably epoxy putty would be a good choice, Quicksteel is another brand.
Who cares what it looks like as long as it repairs it permanently.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey digger27, thanks for reaching out to him and trying to help. You define the reason we are here addicted to this site!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
All a real man needs in this world to get along is a Leatherman tool, a hammer, a wrench, some duct tape, a can of WD 40 and for this kind of repair some good epoxy putty.

Buy some, knead a good amount of it until it is pliable, place it all around the broken edge and push together till it is set correctly in the right position.
Spread whatever is on the surface up and down along the surface to cover that crack fully and let harden.
You got one shot at this...once it hardens there will be no further adjustment possible.

Good luck!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sender back,my M-6 did that,got it back and looked like a brand new machine.

GOD Bless

Chris

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; DO NONE OF THE ABOVE.!!! It is a Whites Detector. Send it to Whites and they will repair it CORRECTLY for "FREE" ok. Problem Solved.!! PEACE:RONB

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi; DO NONE OF THE ABOVE.!!! It is a Whites Detector. Send it to Whites and they will repair it CORRECTLY for "FREE" ok. Problem Solved.!! PEACE:RONB

I don't know about free,cost me 160.00,out of warrantee..:tongue3:

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I already called whites they said 20$ to ship then 80$ an hour to fix so I think I'll try the apoxy

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F it, buy a new one....but be sure to use a Tnet supporting vendor.:thumbsup:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Or buy a good used one from the Dealers or Classifieds here. PEACE:RONB

PS: I'm surprised. They fixed my DFX for free. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have that machine, but looking at the break, as long as the wires would not be in the way.......
I'd be looking for a mop handle, rake handle, maybe large size dowel, or a round piece of wood that would snuggly fit them holes, and splice the 2 pieces together. You could use the epoxy or glue on the wood (I would think), and on the inside you would have extra support, at the break.

I can't say that, that would work permanently. But that's what I'm usually trying to do, fix things, with things I already have...... :BangHead: Sometimes though, ya just gotta splurge. :dontknow:
Good luck and let us all know, what you do to fix it. May can help someone else, on down the line.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont believe the epoxy will hold for long under the stress of swinging.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
If all the wiring is in place it looks like you need to bond it back together like a broken cup.
Crazy glue is not enough, you need a better, thicker bonding agent to keep it together permanently...if sending it in to be repaired is not a chosen option.

The JB Weld company has all kinds of products that enable permanent fixes for all kinds of surfaces and materials.
There might be other brands too, but I have used some of this company's products and when they say permanently bonded they mean it.

All | J-B Weld

Probably epoxy putty would be a good choice, Quicksteel is another brand.

Everybody take notice. digger27 is totally right about JB Weld. That will fix anything and it will stay fixed forever. Your machine will be good as new in in a few hours...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait --- hold the phone!! There's a MUCH better product for fixing that break, and it will hold up. Just a min...gotta try to find the stuff. I have a package here somewhere.

We bought it at a box hardware store - I think Lowe's. It's a fiberglass wrap that, once you wet it with water, you wrap tightly and let dry. Hardens like steel!! It's really inexpensive and you can use it within a couple of days.

Will post again once I find the product....wish me luck! :BangHead:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F it, buy a new one....but be sure to use a Tnet supporting vendor.:thumbsup:

someone I see is trying to make MOderator