Think I am going to take some time off...

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The heat and humidity is really bad right now in NC. And even though we are getting the occasional thunderstorm, it doesn't seem to help with the dry ground. Couple that with what I believe to be elbow tendonitis in my swinging arm, I think I might take August off from doing any detecting.

Of course if we happen to have a cool (below 85) day with light rain or I get a new permission that looks killer, then the self imposed exile probably won't last. :laughing7:

Good luck and keep hydrated!

PS - I know water hunting is the way to beat the heat, but I haven't located anywhere around here to do that.

Edited to add: Getting up at the butt crack of dawn is another way to beat the heat, but I'm not that much of a morning person.

Upvote 0

whtlion

Mar 31, 2015
new Danville,Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Minelab's Sovereign XS-2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be safe really warm up here in PA as well

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really hot and dry here in VA to but take off a whole month?? I'd die from withdraw!
I have to work in the heat so I might as well play in it. Just pace yourself.

HH RN

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
While you are lying around sucking up the A/C your detectors are hanging out developing bad habits.

They will get used to not finding anything and being turned off.

Send them to someone willing to get out there and sweat- don't let your detectors get lazy too!

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really hot and dry here in VA to but take off a whole month?? I'd die from withdraw!
I have to work in the heat so I might as well play in it. Just pace yourself.

HH RN

Oh I'm sure I'll have some withdraw! lol The chances of me actually going the whole month without detecting are slim, but we'll see how it goes.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since we do this hunting for pulltabs for fun there is no reason to torture ourselves. If it is to hot to hunt on land do it in the water. There has to be some swimming hole near by.

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last few days in Raleigh NC have been brutal. Heat indexes of 111 and 109 has been almost unbareable. What part of North Carolina are you in Blade Runner?

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last few days in Raleigh NC have been brutal. Heat indexes of 111 and 109 has been almost unbareable. What part of North Carolina are you in Blade Runner?

Winston-Salem (Triad area)

Brutal is right man. I went Monday evening around 8pm and it was rough. SOOOO much humidity. I can deal with the heat somewhat. Just have to have shorter hunts. What frustrates me is the ground being as hard as a rock. That's just no fun to dig in.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's hot in Concord also. Been doing a little gold mining in the creek, but with no breeze the water doesn't really help.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey man, I don't blame you a bit. It has been brutal hot, even early in the morning. I have been heading home at lunch.

Good to see you last month, the cool weather will be here again and we can get together and hunt a bit.

Best of luck to you brother!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
111 here in central cal. today looks like house work

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out today by 6, left at 7:30 for a beach hunt and it was hot. Got about $2 in clad. And a key. But I did get out, then did the dishes, did the wash, had a carpet salesman come over to try to sell me, repaired a stone wall, had the contractor come over and replaced a window glass in a greenhouse window, let the chickens out to play, took out the trash and then it was NAP TIME.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out today by 6, left at 7:30 for a beach hunt and it was hot. Got about $2 in clad. And a key. But I did get out, then did the dishes, did the wash, had a carpet salesman come over to try to sell me, repaired a stone wall, had the contractor come over and replaced a window glass in a greenhouse window, let the chickens out to play, took out the trash and then it was NAP TIME.

After a hunt it's time for a nap..:laughing7: The house work can wait for the rain...:occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The heat does not bother me, but the very dry soil does limit my choices of where to hunt. I have migrated to the woods and the water. It did rain a little yesterday so I went to one of my public honey holes and pulled a large clad haul and eked out a 64 rosie. Today I need to install screen doors on the french doors which my neighbor and I replaced last Saturday. I feel your pain, but I remember when I was in Uzbekistan and Afghanistan (2003/04) in full battle dress when it was 126 degrees. High 90's with some humidity while doing something I enjoy is not a problem, it just means a few more water breaks.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The heat does not bother me, but the very dry soil does limit my choices of where to hunt. I have migrated to the woods and the water. It did rain a little yesterday so I went to one of my public honey holes and pulled a large clad haul and eked out a 64 rosie. Today I need to install screen doors on the french doors which my neighbor and I replaced last Saturday. I feel your pain, but I remember when I was in Uzbekistan and Afghanistan (2003/04) in full battle dress when it was 126 degrees. High 90's with some humidity while doing something I enjoy is not a problem, it just means a few more water breaks.

Much respect to you for your service. You make a good point and it definitely puts things into perspective.

I have been meaning to ask. Is the avatar picture when you were deployed and is that an AK you're holding? That's not standard issue is it? :laughing7:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lived in Goldsboro, NC from 1968 - 76. Wife and I hunted 12 months a years. Hit every small town in a 50 mile area at least once. Most of the time we where the first to pass a coil over ground there.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Much respect to you for your service. You make a good point and it definitely puts things into perspective.

I have been meaning to ask. Is the avatar picture when you were deployed and is that an AK you're holding? That's not standard issue is it? :laughing7:

I was issued an M16, but one mission had us at an Afghan base, so I borrowed the AK for the pic. Here is a pic of the soldier I borrowed it from. He wanted to pose with mine.

DSCN0648.JPG

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blade, I hail from central Ohio and thought it was hot here...that is, until I spent the last 2 weeks working in Charlotte and then Raleigh...outside...wow...(on industrial heaters no doubt)..we had to start at 5 am to beat the heat working with spotlights from the service trucks. And was I ever glad to get back to 90 degree Ohio...lol, felt like a/c ! Ddf

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Winston-Salem (Triad area)

Brutal is right man. I went Monday evening around 8pm and it was rough. SOOOO much humidity. I can deal with the heat somewhat. Just have to have shorter hunts. What frustrates me is the ground being as hard as a rock. That's just no fun to dig in.

im 10 minutes out of Winston ....Welcome, NC :-) I know what you mean by the heat :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread