Chipperi

Greenie
Aug 4, 2016
Piney Flats, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Now I am new, but I notice as I watch shows, and videos, that people seem to carry large backpacks. I carry my detector of course, pinpointer, a short shovel. I shove most finds in my pockets (I plan on getting some kind of pouch). I also keep some spare batteries, and some bottled water in the truck. Not enough to necessitate a backpack.

Now all you guys/gals what do you lug into the field, that you need a pack for??

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just depends. If I'm near the car I just wear my finds pouch with my digger and pinpointer on the belt. If I'm going to be further into the woods or out in a huge farm field, then I carry a small day pack with water, snacks, extra battery, coil bolt, tape, yadda-yadda-yadda. :skullflag:

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I carry pretty much echos that of Terry -- my finds pouch, pin-pointer, Lesche tool, screwdriver, and a small water bottle if I'm searching a park or somewhere near my vehicle, as less weight to carry makes hunting easier, and a walk back to my car/Jeep isn't hard.

In my vehicle I keep my shoulder bag, which has a couple of extra screwdriver digging tools, a small trowel, spare batteries for my detector and pin-pointer, flashlight, headlamp, spare batteries for those, spare coil hardware, spare velcro cable wraps, a couple of extra rubber straps for my knee pads, Swiss Army pocketknife, magnifier, small pair of binoculars, sunscreen, emergency fire starter, space blanket, and small signal mirror, a few Ziplock bags, protein bar or two, a roll of TP, a 2-quart canteen (two during the summer), hand cleaner, rag, and a bag of test targets, just in case I need to verify something in the field again or see how a particular item sounds off/ID's in the conditions I'm in.

If I'm going out further, and it's not blazing hot, I usually wear a photographer’s vest with those items in it, and a whistle on it (I usually hunt alone), and the vest carries easier than a shoulder bag. Add in a shovel and spare backpack if cache hunting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a large suitcase in my trunk,

DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0006(1).JPG

has everything from spare AA batteries, to different size tools,
to medical supplies, to bug spray,etc.

when I walk out on the field, or into the woods, besides my detector

DSCF0010.JPG DSCF0007.JPG DSCF0003(1).JPG DSCF0011.JPG DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0014.JPG DSCF0015.JPG DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0002(1).JPG

a Small 10" Finishing Pan when I'm doing Public Pools & Private Yards For Excess Dirt

DSCF0004.JPG

the cough drops are my replacement for water .
a hand full in my pocket takes up less space.
when I get thirsty I pop a Drop. Tastes Better then a Pebble .

when I be hopping in someone Else's Vehicle to go to a Spot.
Then I pack one of these String Backpacks

DSCF0013.JPG

with the above & add these

when I remember.

DSCF0008.JPG DSCF0002.JPG

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just a finds pouch...that camo one made by garrett. I beach hunt so if I need something I will just go back to my car. I also never travel more than 20 mins from my house.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a military pistol belt and suspenders (LCE - load carrying equipment). On that I have an ammo pouch that carries my car keys, bug spray, and phone. I have my finds pouch secure on the left and my digging tools on the right. My pin pointer is secured on the left shoulder suspender.

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
ForsGold+ ,Garrett AT Pro,Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
CamelBak with my garret pouch clipped to it that carries plastic scope, small rock hammer, misc items.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have a bag that is dedicated to MDing equipment.

Spare batteries and packs.
Spare headphones
Spare digging tools
Handheld GPS unit
Spare pinpointers
Water
snacks

I just wanted to keep it all in the same place, so I can grab it and know I got all my stuff.

Also, if I ever found something that I needed to get out of a field incognito, I figure this bag is just the ticket.

I do like the suitcase though, I may have to look into that.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt in the city, mostly parks and stuff. But if I ever need a pack, i would carry spare batteries, 5x8, 8x11 coils, water bottle. Bug spray, my keys, and what ever else I might need.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry my pin pointer, my Lesche, my detector and that's it. I put my finds in my pocket. I am 71 yrs old and I don't need a backpack to load me down.. I can stay out about 4 hours before I need a break, most often I am out about 2 - 3 hours. When you're my age and you drop down 35+ times for $5 in clad plus the tabs and other false signals I don't need the drag of the backpack. I don't even mess with a pouch or a belt for my pin pointer or lesche.. I keep things a simple as I can..

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a roll of TP cactusman's post- I don't bring a whole roll, but enough to uhhh- blow my nose once or twice.

Also carry a can of bear spray. Works for all kinds of creatures, woods or city hunting.

Your pack has to be tailored for your style of hunting, but my number 1 must have item, a spare coil bolt. (I keep two in my pouch)

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a small 12" tool bag from walmart for for roughly 10 bucks. Holds my Lesche tool, Garrett carrot pin pointer, gloves and a small plastic case that I use to but my finds in. Could easily hold a small water bottle and can hold extra batteries. I line it with a plastic shopping bag and doubles to hold trash too!!

mr

OP
OP
C

Chipperi

Greenie
Aug 4, 2016
Piney Flats, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Also carry a can of bear spray. Works for all kinds of creatures, woods or city hunting
I am in TN so as long as I am not on school grounds, there is a Colt Defender under my shirt...

I forgot to mention as part of my kit....Gloves! I need to get some pads for the patella's too! You have given me some more good ideas too like bug spray. I also keep a folder in my truck with all my signed permissions in it.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a lady so I have a metal detecting apron with three pocket partitions that holds my trash in the left pocket, my gloves in the middle pocket,and in the far right one an empty plastic gum container to hold small finds like bullets,etc. my pinpointer is in a sheath on my right side,and a small digger in a sheath on the left side.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
backpack? we don't need no stinkin backpack

I have extra batteries in my truck
I wear a mesh bag on my beltloop, detector in left hand and digger in right ( when beach detecting I have a cooler at the chairs and the wife to protect it)

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a 5.11 Rush 24 now. Reason for a backpack for me is that I have no car and cycle everywhere I go. That means I have to carry the detector, sand scoop, camera, food, my wallet and keys and all odds and ends with me (and a 2l water bladder, those things are awesome). The Rush 24 is really perfect for all that. Once I get my Mars telescopic shaft for the AT Pro it will get even better.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides the typical gear that everyone wears I sometimes take a 6-pack cooler (with spare batteries, 4 bottles of water and 4 freeze packs) with me after I park knowing that I have to walk a long distance from the van to where I plan on swinging. Other times I wear a hydration pack. I sometimes carry my tablet in it so I can use google earth or historic aerials when hunting a new site, my smart phone is a mobile hotspot. :thumbsup:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Besides the typical gear that everyone wears I sometimes take a 6-pack cooler (with spare batteries, 4 bottles of water and 4 freeze packs) with me after I park knowing that I have to walk a long distance from the van to where I plan on swinging. Other times I wear a hydration pack. I sometimes carry my tablet in it so I can use google earth or historic aerials when hunting a new site, my smart phone is a mobile hotspot. :thumbsup:

Loco, I just realized that I am not as prepared as I thought I was.

You put me to shame...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I needed some Freezer Packs a few Years ago, But never remembered when in the stores .
Thankfully while Hunting an Old Reservoir Site, I saw three Freezer Packs Laying over the Reservoir Embankment with Trash.

DSCF0001.JPG

I call it my " Forward Psychic Will ", Put them there .
Unfortunately I haven't been able to "Conjure up" a decent Cooler with that Psychic Will Yet.
Or remember to Purchase one. So they sit Idle in my Freezer 90% of the Time.
as the cooler I have will only fit 3 Cans of Soda with the Packs.
but recently switched to water and by water bottle is too big for my tiny cooler.

so I live on Warmed Water when out Hunting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread