Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet..JPG Welcome to the addiction.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your pulling tabs, you will pull a gold ring. Just hunt where people play for starters, parks, beaches, etc.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNET - might try putting in a coin & trash garden with coins - pull tabs - square tabs - aluminum can slaw & bottle caps at various depths and practice - anyway I wish you many more great finds with your White's Treasure Master while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Welcome to the forum!

clv nailed it, dig those tabs until you are tired of it, that's where the rings are.

And... Sandman nailed it, as this is less of a hobby and more of an addiction.

You will never look at a patch of grass the same way as before...

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to say you don't need any advice being you're finding stuff, but that would be wrong. Be sure you are allowed to detect where you are and be conscious of what and where you are digging. Also, wear some gloves and knee pads and even though it all gets me funny looks the gloves can save on poison ivy, oak, or sumac. Be conscious of possible glass. The knee pads can also save you on the glass or sharp rocks and even some sore knees.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have fun with it. You will get more advice on here than you can ever process but all those tips you get somehow stay in your head and help you become better at detecting. Knowing the sounds of your detector is the most important thing you can learn. Once you begin to understand what it is telling you often times the faintest bleep will tell you it's worth digging and when you uncover a nice silver or a ring you will giggle to yourself thinking I got it now. Now I know what they are saying.

Most everyone on Tnet is more than willing to help and believe me some of these guys been detecting over 40 yrs. Read everything you can and watch Utube videos. Many people post how to's and even make videos but for me I found although much of it is helpful most often all they do is confirm what I already know. I have used setups from the so called experts on each of my detectors but one must remember location is important because of soil etc. I start by using standard stock programs and settings then modify them as I learn what works better for me.

In a nutshell it's trial and error and mostly tone.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As another poster said, your pulling tabs and coins, so the only thing I would suggest is doing some site research to increase your chances of digging what you are looking for. For example, I am interested in civil war relics so I purchased "The Atlas of the Civil War", "Maps and Mapmakers of the Civil War", and "The Official Military Atlas of the Civil War". I looked at maps of battles and axis of advance in my area, then did my best to match them up to Google Maps. This gave me a general idea of where positions were and I was able to find public areas to hit. It increased my chances in other words. If going to parks another poster taught me to think strategically to increase my chances of finding things. For example, if searching a soccer field...where do people usually congregate while watching the game (along the sidelines, or in the shade, around benches). Also searching 15-20 feet inside the line could yield a ring from a throw in, etc...but you get the idea.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do some testing in controlled conditions to get a baseline. Take some of your trash, coins, your own valuables, etc. and do some bench testing. Not that targets in the ground will behave the same, but it helps to know the general vicinity of where targets fall. Vary the distance from the coil and the orientation of the target and you'll get a better idea of how these variables effect response. Otherwise, dig everything for awhile and you'll settle into what's comfortable...but don't get too comfortable, go for every potentially good target.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do your research on your area and find out where people spent their time back in the day. Old parks, old schoolyards , old churches, old home sites etc. All of those types of places are where you will find the best stuff. Don't forget the old swimming holes. They lost a lot of coins and jewelry and other things at the old swimming holes back in the day too. I've seen guys eye ball old coins and jewelry in rivers and lakes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! I'm not supposed to tell you this Pathfinder, but here is the real secret to success as a metal detectorist. Use your machine as much as you can. Learn its language, what it can do - and importantly, what it can't do. Perfect your technique, overlapping your swings while keeping the coil low, flat, and slow. That's it. Not glamorous or exciting, but a lot of fun and rewarding! :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread