Any experience with the AT Pro with the 15" Attack coil?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put back on your stock coil ground balance and put the nel back on . However I do not know if the nel would balance out diff from the stock coil ? Balancing is a soil reading as I understand it . I would think it would be the same balance number for all coils on the same soil but I could be wrong . I am looking at the nel tornado and now I think I will ask some questions before I buy . Is your soil reading with the stock coil low numbers or high ?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
62/63 I should have read the instructions to begin with. They said to put the sensitivity down to a little less than half, ground balance it and then afterwards you can bring in all the way up. It worked :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
62/63 I should have read the instructions to begin with. They said to put the sensitivity down to a little less than half, ground balance it and then afterwards you can bring in all the way up. It worked :-)

I have the Storm... And when i switch between coils, i hold the power button and do a reset, and then i follow the instructions that you followed...

lkylemoore

Jan 28, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer, Nel Storm, Maxpedition Octa Versipack, Grey Ghost Amphibian
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Storm on the AT Gold....I just got it about a week ago. So far....I like it a lot! It is whole lot bigger than the 5X8 DD stock coil! Lots of coverage and more power from the larger coil which has those questionable hits on the smaller coil sound loud and clear on the storm. I have found so far that it def doesn't have the iron discrimination that the 5x8 has but that is something I expected before even buying. Just today, I was using the storm in a large field and found an area that was littered with iron. It sounded like a firework show! I ended up finishing the area with the storm and then coming back to that littered iron area and switching out to the 5x8 to get that separation I was wanting. When I first got the storm, I took it out in the back pasture to a small area where I have hunted over and over again. I found several more late 1800s and early 1900s shotgun headstamps and a 1902 Indian Head penny. The Storm is something I like to trade off for a massive amount of coverage and the increased depth for those on the edge hits that i was getting and those I was missing. Right now I will use it accordingly...depending on the area I am detecting......Good Luck & Happy Hunting!....Kyle

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Storm on the AT Gold....I just got it about a week ago. So far....I like it a lot! It is whole lot bigger than the 5X8 DD stock coil! Lots of coverage and more power from the larger coil which has those questionable hits on the smaller coil sound loud and clear on the storm. I have found so far that it def doesn't have the iron discrimination that the 5x8 has but that is something I expected before even buying. Just today, I was using the storm in a large field and found an area that was littered with iron. It sounded like a firework show! I ended up finishing the area with the storm and then coming back to that littered iron area and switching out to the 5x8 to get that separation I was wanting. When I first got the storm, I took it out in the back pasture to a small area where I have hunted over and over again. I found several more late 1800s and early 1900s shotgun headstamps and a 1902 Indian Head penny. The Storm is something I like to trade off for a massive amount of coverage and the increased depth for those on the edge hits that i was getting and those I was missing. Right now I will use it accordingly...depending on the area I am detecting......Good Luck & Happy Hunting!....Kyle

Yeah Kyle I went today myself. I found it hard to ground until I realize that that was just iron popping all over the place. I'm debating on whether to send back my attack because it is a little to heavy for my liking. I'm on the fence right now whether I should just buy the XP Deus. I'm going to keep my AT Pro for when I go in the river, but I would really like something lighter for my 8 hour hunts. I tell you this addiction can get really expensive. Lol

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you like the Storm?

I really like the storm for those big fields and also trying to see if there is something deeper at other spots... I agree with everything in the last two posts... I just added an AT Gold to my list ( used lightly from a member on here) and it seemed to pick more out than the pro... It is definitely a different working machine though...

The Storm is heavier of course! But since you want deeper, push, pull and drag it where you wanna detect!! Ha! I can also pin point with it pretty well already too!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much more depht are you getting with these large coils?

HH RN

lkylemoore

Jan 28, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer, Nel Storm, Maxpedition Octa Versipack, Grey Ghost Amphibian
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much more depht are you getting with these large coils?

HH RN

RN ~ So far I am noticing about an average of 60% increase in depth and sometimes up to 90% on some items with the Nel Storm 13x14. I have only had it for about a week, so I will get a better feel performance wise later down the road. So far though....I am really pleased. It definetly is heavier, but it is really balanced well and it swings well too. Pin pointing is a little bit more challenging compared to my stock 5x8, but that too is getting better and more consistent for me now with the storm.....Kyle

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sending back the Attack coil. It would be a good field coil but I'm trying to concentrate on a park in New Orleans ( City Park ). It's the oldest public park in New Orleans and the Attack sounds off like a war zone, not to mention pretty heavy. What coil would give me everything I'm looking for as far as maximum depth not too happy and iron discrimination?

lkylemoore

Jan 28, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which coil are you using on the Pro.....the stock 8.5 x 11 or 5x8? If you are using the 5x8 you have some good options, but if you are using the 8.5x11 there wont be much improvement with what you are wanting other than gaining about 10% on depth going to a 8.5x12. You will get about the same iron discrimination as the stock coil. To me spending the money isnt worth it because it is already really close to the performance of the stock coil. The other option is moving to the larger 12x13 coil. You will gain about 25% in depth and 10% or so in coverage as compared to the stock coil. It still should have good iron discrimination. Remember, the larger the coil.....the gain in depth and the loss of discrimination. Me personally, I would probably try the 12x13 and see what type of discrimination it gives you, especially since you know how the attack 15x15 did on the separation of iron. Basically, it all depends on what you consider a happy medium.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank lkylemoor I have both the 5x8 and the 8.5x 11. I just need that extra inch or two on depth. But I will look into the 12x13 right now. Thanks and for your interest. I appreciate that

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank lkylemoor I have both the 5x8 and the 8.5x 11. I just need that extra inch or two on depth. But I will look into the 12x13 right now. Thanks and for your interest. I appreciate that
Would you get the CORS Strike DD, the tornado or the Hunter 12.5X8.5"? Know think hard because whatever one you say is the one I'm getting. Not too much pressure is it? LOL I just need that extra for the soul city park that's been on in over all last few decades. But the trash still remains down to 6 inches deep, so I still need good discrimination.

lkylemoore

Jan 28, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh the pressure........lol! I would go with the Nel Tornado.....the Nel Hunter is going to be real close to your stock coil. The Cors Strike is probably okay, but I would stay with the trusted name brand. The Tornado's discrimination should be good and you will have good increase in depth.

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a nel attack on my AT Pro for the first time last weekend. I pulled an 1893 silver dime from a site that has been pounded to death in the past with other detectors. I have not seen the depth yet. time will tell or I just have not went over a deep coin yet. I can say that It does zero in on a dime with crisp tone at the 6" level. I am very happy with it so far. However, it will wear your arm out in a short time. Its front heavy. I hooked up a bungee strap from my machine and hooked it to my backpack. Works very well to help balance the weight and much easier on the arm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread