One heck of a lot of coins for one day!

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Whites 6000 DI Pro, Whites GMT, Whites Surf PI Dual Field......want a Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well today was my best day ever for finding coins! 358 of them total. Started at my favorite place here in Boise at 8 am and finished up at 7 pm. $12.59 total but sadly they were all new. The oldest was a 1962-D penny and two 1964-D pennies. Found one of those quarters at an honest 6" with my Whites MXT All Pro which is a record for it in this highly mineralized soil. Couldn't believe I dug 284 pennies......never again....lol Those zinc pennies just aren't worth it.......I'm currently looking for a metal detecting pardner!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 186
Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!...you must be exhausted...
After 3 zincs, I would have discriminated them out...

OP
OP
F

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Whites 6000 DI Pro, Whites GMT, Whites Surf PI Dual Field......want a Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wanted to create a new record for myself......my previous record was only 110 pennies......and I broke it with 284! My detector reads "zinc" on zinc pennies and I'm just not going to dig them anymore. But at least my record stands.........lol

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that's a lot of digging. It beats digging junk.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are my new hero!

your palms must be fried

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wanted to create a new record for myself......my previous record was only 110 pennies......and I broke it with 284! My detector reads "zinc" on zinc pennies and I'm just not going to dig them anymore. But at least my record stands.........lol

I have been told that 'zinc' can be gold--- dig em

OP
OP
F

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indian head pennies can read zinc, but the chance of finding one in a city park is not very high. If I'm detecting in a ghost town or an old farm yard.....yes.....I dig all zinc readings. I've never dug anything gold that reads zinc yet.....only gold I've found reads between 12 and 35 on the scale....no more zinc pennies tho.....lol

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I agree with big-wave-dave: If I'm ever in a spot with THAT much prolific clad, and if I'm in a mood to just "bulk up" (am not counting on oldies or jewelry), then I just dig only quarters. On 2 occasions did that, and ended up with over 100 quarters at each time. But to dig 284 PENNIES ? Sheesk. On the beach perhaps this is a "must", because you're digging all conductors after storm erosion. But on land, my knees hurt just thinking about that.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember those Zincs may have stuff under them at a deeper depth. Cleaning out the top "Slaw" exposes better the older and deeper signals that have been lost for even longer. I would put sens super high until the brink of stable/ unstable and dig the squeaks from beneath, never know what's down there!

That is an amazing haul of clad, Hoping the next hunt brings that much silver!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned, it would be site dependent for me. In a modern park, I'd ignore zinc readings. At the beach, I scoop them. At an old site, I'll dig them based on depth or sound.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that is a lot of coins. :thumbsup: You earned almost $1.05 an hour. Make sure you dig zincs when hunting older sites. Indian Heads ring up in the zinc range. Did you dig much trash?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is a lot of coins. :thumbsup: You earned almost $1.05 an hour. Make sure you dig zincs when hunting older sites. Indian Heads ring up in the zinc range. Did you dig much trash?

One guy from the local club said he was digging Zincoln type signals with his Minelab and pulled out a 1/8 bit of Spanish Reale from an old park.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job, you blew my record of 282 coins in 6 hours away. I always dig the zinc penny signals, you never know whats underneath them plus I have found several rings that initially sounded like zincs. Pennies add up, I had over 2600 when I ran last year's clad through a coinstar machine. I always throw away the corroded ones though as they just get rejected anyway. HH! :thumbsup:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got blisters reading this post.

OP
OP
F

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, I didn't dig a lot of trash......maybe 5 or 6 tabs & a few bottle caps. My MXT All Pro does a pretty good job of telling you whats down there once you get used to it.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There must not be much to do in Boise! Lol I get tired of digging junk zincs after about 10 or so! I started skipping zincolns yesterday after about the 5th one. There comes a point when I decide I'm ok with missing that certain ring that might happen to have the same VDI number.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Had plenty of these days in my younger years, now I am happy if I can do 4 hours in a day.

Great work man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread