NEWBIE - Buying Garret AT Pro - Multiple Questions - HELP!

kenscottix67

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2016
Asheville, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In short, I have watched a lot of videos and spoken to other people who have detected.
I am a treasure hunter at heart, and I have decided to take some of my eBay profits and
purchase a Garret AT Pro.

Can someone help me with the following questions:

1.) Are stock headphones good enough or should I look at others?
2.) What is a good digging tool to use?
3.) What coils should I get besides the stock one?
4.) Is the Garret pinpointer the best for the money?

I have read that the larger the coil, the deeper the detection but discrimination is
given up. Is this correct?

I am pretty excited about this. I have thought about purchasing this detector for years
and have finally decided to take the plunge.

All help is appreciated.

Kenscottix67

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
1st - Noticed this is your very first post - so - Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector.gif
2nd - Until a member(s) jumps in - you might browse Forum > Metal Detecting Forum > Brands > Garrett...

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome - I've used the Pro for about 10 years now and I feel that I am just learning it (I never claimed to be a quick study).

I have the stock coil and the smaller 5X8 but until you get the experience with the machine that you need in order to use it effectively, I'd stick with the stock.

I use a White's pinpointer but have been told Garrett's pinpointer is also very good.

Any of the Lesche type tools are fine but again, practice is what is needed. When I am coin-shooting in parks, gravel parking lots, etc., I use a flathead screwdriver and turn the sensitivity on my machine down. In sand you will want a scoop (obviously). What you want to avoid, especially if you get permission to hunt lawn areas, is to show up with a full sized shovel. That is overkill X 100 and will end your permission in a hurry. Always make a great effort to minimize any disruption of the surface when you hunt - leaving holes and dead plugs is what gets areas closed to hunting.

I bought Grey Ghost headphones with the thought that I might use them underwater someday - and I will once work and other committments stop getting in the way of my fun. GREAT investment. The sound discrimination is far better than the stock headphones but again, if you haven't learned your machine, it doesn't matter what accessories you have.

Welcome to a great forum and to an addictive hobby. Don't expect too much in the very beginning and press on. Speaking for only myself, I do this hobby strictly for enjoyment. I could never dig enough pennies and flip tabs to make it profitable. Seems to me that sometimes people spend so much money on their equipment that they feel obligated to pursue that big score which usually never happens.
HH
dts

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems like you are on the right path, with the questions you are asking. Look at the dealers here. Call and talk to ALL of them before you buy. You will get a good price on an AT Pro IF YOU ASK but there are a lot of dealers that make it up on the accessories (No discount) I would wait on buying some of the accessories... However their is just a few dealers(not many) that will give you deal on everything (machine and your accessories)and if you know that you need the accessories in the first or second year then go ahead buy from the dealer that will make you a deal on ALL what you want,

If you plan to go under water then you will want the better headphones (Grey Ghost ). If not stick to the one that comes with the ATP If you plan to work in the 2 or 3 feet of water. I would get the new orange Pinpointer, with the machine, 1 extra 5X8 coil & both coils with covers.

The digging tools (Lesche )I waited on (bought later) and saved money (shipping) buying on Ebay . Ebay the tools are the same price but free shipping really helps

Good Luck, I love the part of the state you live in,,,,, I went to school about an hour west of you

Tom

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Welcome to the forum.

It looks like you are ready to jump in feet first.

You will need a decent set of headphones, digger and a detector.

I would not worry about additional coils until later, focus on learning the machines language.

This is done by lots of practice and digging all of your targets until you figure it out.

There are lots of variables. Soil type, moisture levels, targets close to each other, etc. It can be confusing at first.

Once you start learning, you will notice that your finds get better and more plentiful.

Start finding clad, once you have enough for a new coil, you will know which one you want.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Asheville, isn't that Hippietown?

Garrett PP is the only way to fly IMO. I use the orange one, but the original is excellent too... just don't get it too wet.

Use stock headphones first, then decide if you want another set, or perhaps a wireless setup might to your liking. I went from headphones to ear buds, personal preference.

Lesche (Predator Tools) are the real deal, yeah, I know they "look" expensive, but they last and work perfectly. Lots of imitators, half the price, a third the quality. Don't be fooled.

The ATP is a good machine, hopefully, it will serve you well, and your pouch will be full of treasure!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard! The Garrett carrot, and the CORS Fortune 9.5x5.5 or the Garrett 8x5 along with a Lesche and you're set! I actually like the sound of the stock Garrett headphones better than the Grey Ghosts Amphibians which you'll need if you want to submerge the headphones.

OP
OP
K

kenscottix67

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2016
Asheville, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the information. Actually, I plan on getting the machine Monday and hope to try it out on the Outer Banks
this coming weekend.

I know I need a sand scoop. Also need to find the legal areas to hunt.

As for school 1 hr west, must have been ETSU in Johnson City. Good college by the way.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the information. Actually, I plan on getting the machine Monday and hope to try it out on the Outer Banks
this coming weekend.

As for school 1 hr west, must have been ETSU in Johnson City. Good college
by the way.

The $99 RTG pro mini (# 733) is all you need with the ATP. While the AT will ground balance down to wet salt it is a single freq detector and not the best on salt water beaches.

http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgaluminumscoops.htm

Last edited:

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WCU
Western Carolina University Cullowhee, NC

this coming weekend.

As for school 1 hr west, must have been ETSU in Johnson City. Good college by the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread