NEL Hunter (12.5x8.5) - Have used it for a while on my AT Pro... my thoughts.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you liked it and let us know. I went ahead and bought the Anderson carbon fiber shaft specifically for this coil as my Garrett one wobbled just a slight bit with the extra weight. No wobbling issues anymore and now I can do quick changes if needed by leaving the coils on and just swapping lower shafts then winding/plugging in the end. Takes about 3 minutes this way. Good luck Skippy! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for letting us know. I ordered the NEL Attack 15" used it for 2 days and returned it yesterday. To big, to heavy and in a park it sounds like New Years Eve at midnight. I gonna order the NEL Hunter now on the strength of your report. Also ordering the Anderson carbon thanks to cruiserkev. I hate changing out my coils, I also have the 5x8". It messes use my rubber rings and it's just a pain screwing it one. Thanks again to you both. ORDER UP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amizer

Aug 19, 2016
N. Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's 5900/Di Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Deteknix Wireless H-Phones, Pro-Pointer II, Nel Sharpshuter, Nel Hunter, Lesche Digger, Predator Raptor, Predator Ultra Eagle.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the Nel Hunter soon after I purchased the Sharpshuter. I was so impressed with the smaller coil (and its tight quality tones) I knew I could never go back to the stock coil. The ironic thing about it is, I figured I would use the Sharpshuter about 80% of the time and have the Hunter for those 'open field areas only.' Now it's 80% Hunter and 20% sharpshuter.

After reading your post I started laughing because I feel the same way you do. Man that thing is impressive. I can (almost) get as good of separation, while at the same time gain depth and of course better coverage. Nel's site list the coil as only being .5 % less than the Sharpshuter for separation. That is a 9 out of 10 vs. the 9.5 for the smaller coil.

Needless to say I thought someone was 'padding' the #s. I remember the first few times I used it I was almost in disbelief. Anyway I'm glad to hear someone share a 'likewise' experience with the Nel Hunter. I would also like to mention that because of the hard epoxy they use to seal their coils, I have never used the cover with it for the grassy areas I go to and it doesn't show a scratch, and that's with me 'scrubbing' the ground. ... Cheers!

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you guys ever start detecting really trashy areas like demo lots and such. Try the NEL Snake out sometime. It's the 6-1/2" x 3-1/2" coil and it's built and acts just like it's big brothers, but can get into tighter and trashier areas. I love mine!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, let me offer a HUGE thank you to Kellyco for sponsoring the Charter Membership. I won the June drawing, and used the $50 gift card toward the NEL Hunter coil! The support was great, and shipping was done nicely.

My NEL Hunter Coil for the AT Pro experience:

When I first got the coil, I was impressed again that it CAME with a coil cover... Very nice! And then on top of that, the coil is completely sealed up. No epoxy showing with the coil cover off. Very well constructed.

Right away, I tried to connect it up to my lower rod using the AT Pro's screw. Bad idea. Didn't quite work right, and I broke the stock plastic screw. Definitely use the one that comes with the coil! Also, the coil is definitely a little bigger than the stock! It just looks "weird" under the lower rod. But that WEIRD is so freaking amazing when I'm swinging it.

Swinging the coil: The 12.5" coil length apparently matches my stepping when I'm swinging. I felt like I was ALWAYS slowing down when using the stock AT Pro (11 inches)... and was always having a small gap between swings. With the NEL hunter, it's like my swing has become "perfect" with nearly exact swinging coverage. I feel like I'm totally doing a better job swinging without wasting overlap. My find rate feels like it's gone up a bit, too, but that's for another reason as well.

Discrimination I'd swear... really I would!... that this coil actually discriminates better on targets. Foil is a little more "foily" and rings and coins are a little more "solid." Sure the pop tab also rings up more nicely, but after about 20 hours of using it, I've gotten to the point I'm now skipping over even more trash. I just know it's trash. The last hunt, I called out everything in my head and was 100% correct, with the exception of pop-tabs, which always sound too nice to know (so... for those, I always called out in my brain, "let's check if it's gold!")

I've had no shortage of rings found with it, and have now found 8. 2 silvers. They hit "harder" than the stock AT Pro coil did.

Depth most of you who know me, know that I'm a park and school hunter and I don't do deep. But that being said, I've had to back off a notch on sensitivity over what I was running. I was catching items that were too deep for the 8" I'm allowed in the parks (by ordinance). Basically, if I can't catch it with the Lesche, it's too deep.... Now I'm running at sensitivity 3. And I can confirm I'm finding quarters at the 8" mark and then a little (if they're in the bottom I'll still root around for them). I had to run a 4 sensitivity on the Stock coil to pull those, and with stock it was always an "iffy" signal. With the NEL, these are loud and clear. Quarters ring up like church bells now.

Target Separation I was a bit concerned that the larger length in the coil would catch more double targets. It does. Of course it does. It's got another 1.5" to catch double targets. It's not that big of a deal though, as a shift in stance, or simply wiggle method reveals that there are two targets. I even managed to pull a quarter off the top of a nail, yesterday. The targets were so dang close it just rang up as blipping to 00 and 88. Unsure what it was, I pulled the sod back and about 5" down there was the quarter. I don't think I'd have had such a nice 88 with the AT Pro, as it typically would "average" some of the targets if they were too close (such as when coins were stacked). I still got the average effect with the NEL hunter for stacked coins, but if they're off just a little bit, the coil seems to report it. It's quite nice.

I ran it in the water, and found it was just fine. Had no problems swinging or getting coverage. Worked great.

Lastly, the weight is negligible. I can tell there's a difference, but it wasn't even enough to result in muscle fatigue. Clearly, it's close enough to have my arm simply "adapt" to the extra ounce or two at the end of the lower rod.

------------------
Final thoughts:

That thing looks WEIRD at the end of my lower rod. Kind of an oblong shaped coil of awesomeness. I love it. I love the coverage, the better discrimination, and the target separation. I don't think I'll ever go back to the stock coil.

Cheers!

Skippy

Thanks for letting us know. I ordered the NEL Attack 15" used it for 2 days and returned it yesterday. To big, to heavy and in a park it sounds like New Years Eve at midnight. I gonna order the NEL Hunter now on the strength of your report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread