Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: Cutting to the Chase whats the top Metal Detector in the World-Money no object

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4155 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    haha, you are given oodles of options, since this is a "chevy" versus "ford" question. And some great options are listed. But gauranteed, if someone here who-routinely brings in seated coins were to offer up his suggestion (hey, hard to argue with seated coins, RIGHT?) you can get THE EXACT SAME MACHINE and find absolutely nothing. But if the person who's advise you took came to the exact same property, he can maybe find seated coins.

Because some of the machine's listed as "best" ONLY ARE SO in the hands of users who spent a year learning their nuances of sounds. Like the CTX (or explorer II, etc...) are GREAT machines. Yet I can gaurantee you, that if you just grabbed one and headed out, that the tooty-fluty sounds, and complicated instructions, would have you pulling your hair out. You almost have to have someone with you (who's a proficient user, not just a sand-box hunter) showing you side by side signal-instruction for many days. The printed instructions, on machines which are so sound specific, become useless. Because there's no way for "print" instructions to convey "sound".
    That's one of the nice features of the CTX. You don't have to hunt in multitone if you don't want to. It has a 4 tone or 2 tone option too. As for location, and what your may find, that will apply to whichever machine she chooses. Research is the key there. Learning the machine would apply to any choice also. Naturally, some are easier to learn than others (as some machines are more versatile than others), but, once you get a couple hundred hours in on a machine, it will feel like an extension of your body, and hence a moot point. The CTX has the technology and the options to cover just about any situation you would encounter.
    adamBomb and MrMikeJackie like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    I dig deep holes

May 2004
    Camano Island, WA
    CTX3030, Many more on a rotating basis. Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
    1121 times
    I will agree that the CTX is an excellent choice.

I also want to add that she sounds like a gem, and you should keep her. She deserves what ever unit she wants.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, 1265X, Garrett Carrot, Stealth 920iX Keene A52
    12635 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I'm a Minelab guy, love the CTX - it's everything I wanted in a machine. If she chooses that, just swing it from the stock menu, and listen to the sounds. We can post a chart of the FE-CO numbers for her to reference. She'll be on the verge of understanding the language at about the 50th hour of use. Be sure to get Andy's book, and study that in off times. The machine is so overwhelming, yes it'll frustrate her at first. Just keep it simple and read & swing it - it will come.

And on the other hand, one of my hunting partners is an 84 year old man - bought his first detector in '71, and heads West next week to hunt meteorites out West. He's been doing that for 40 years.

He swings a Deus and does very well.

He challenged me to a competition where the winner gets a 6 pack of Coors.

I told him I couldn't afford to buy him a 6 pack every time we went hunting!
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, 1265X, Garrett Carrot, Stealth 920iX Keene A52
    12635 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Something to consider as an option.

Every year Andy Sabisch hosts boot camps for several detector manufacturers. I think he's done for the year but you might wish to keep watch on his website. He hosts both Deus & CTX camps, in addition to writing books about each.

treasure hunting outfitters - Home

His books are great.
    Loco-Digger and Kace like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    OIF05+OEF08, 101st ABN DIV.

Dec 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
    598 times
    Metal Detecting
    You guys are offering her a tank, when she should be driving a technical. Lol. My advise get her a easy to learn mid level detector. As she advances in skills over the year, then buy her a 3030 or deus or what ever high end detector people here offer up.....

us
    Dec 2014
    Maryville, TN
    XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
    212 times
    I swing the Deus now, but my favorite do it all detector after 40 years of swinging has been the Garrett AT Pro. Get the optional 5x8 coil, a pinpointer and Lesche digger and she will have great capability at a very reasonable price. If she is small the Deus maybe a great machine. Lightest machine on the market, wireless and very capable.

My experience with the awesome Minelab machines is that I did not get it. Hated those machines, but your wife sounds smart so the CTX 3030, which is waterproof like AT Pro, maybe way to go. Probably 3030 is most capable hobbiest machine on the market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    7072 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    That's one of the nice features of the CTX. You don't have to hunt in multitone if you don't want to. It has a 4 tone or 2 tone option too..
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    I'm a Minelab guy, love the CTX - it's everything I wanted in a machine. If she chooses that, just swing it from the stock menu, .....
    cuda-Mark and Deep-seeker, I've seen this supposed "fix" for offering tanks to beginners before. That they can still adapt no problem, by simply going with the default menu, pre-set settings, dumb it down by going into 2-tones (verus full-orchestra), and so forth.

SO TOO was the same logic promoted back in the days when the Spectrum and XLT were all the rage (1990s): Veterans would still consider them to be equally beginner machines, because "all you have to do is use the pre-sets and don't mess with the advanced settings".

On the surface, this sounds totally logical. But in my experience, hardly any beginners can resist fiddling around with the controls "lest they be missing out" ! Doh!

Example: There was a beginner at our club meeting who complained of not being able to figure out the XLT. So one day I agreed to meet up with him and help him out. I took a look at his controls, and he had them ALL "maxed out". I asked him "why'd you do that?", and he said "because I didn't want to miss anything". Because in his mind's eyes, the default stock settings would be like riding bumper cars at the carnival, rather than real driving, and he was certain he'd be "missing out" if he didn't go in and fiddle with the "adult" options. I saw this same scenario play out with multiple others, so I assume it would play out for the CTX as well.
    beerguy, luvsdux and Davers like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    May 2014
    Wilmington NC
    CTX; Fisher CZ21; Minelab Excalibur II; White's Surf PI DF; 920i Stealth Scoop
    409 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    So you can see from all of the threads there are two schools of thought...

Get the CTX but she is going to have a very steep learning curve OR

Get a mid level machine that will be significantly easier for her to learn

In considering these options here are some things to think about. Metal detecting involves skill, luck, and knowledge of the machine, etc. That skill part is huge and takes a long time to learn. When you first start out you really know nothing. Even reading about it isn't the same as being out in the field. I keep a detailed journal and reflect on each hunt to learn more about the area I hunted, my finds, and my machines. The thing about the CTX is that it is one of the best machines out there but it is complicated. When I got mine I already how to detect and the machine was still very complicated even though I knew how a lot of the settings affected my other machines. So your wife is going to have to learn to detect while at the same time learning one of the most complicated machines out there...by complicated think if you were trying to learn to drive and have never driven before but decide to start with a mac truck instead of a small automatic car...and then imagine trying to learn to drive that mac truck without a teacher there. It can be done its just going to take dedication on her part and in the beginning its going to be frustrating for her...so if she is prepared for that and is willing to learn I see no reason why she shouldnt go CTX but remember she is going to have like 100+ hours on it before she figures out the machine and knows how to metal detect.
    Davers likes this.

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2341 times
    CTX, Etrac, Nokta FORS Relic, Makro Racer2 or 1, F75, F19, G2+, Tesoro Vaquero/ Tejon. Just get one of each and try them all!
    fishstick and Davers like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4155 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liu21 View Post
    You guys are offering her a tank, when she should be driving a technical. Lol. My advise get her a easy to learn mid level detector. As she advances in skills over the year, then buy her a 3030 or deus or what ever high end detector people here offer up.....
    They asked for the best, not the easiest. If she's as smart as she's supposed to be, she won't have any problem learning the CTX. All machines have a certain learning curve and take time to master. Starting with the CTX, she won't be bringing any bad habits from a previous machine!

can
    us
    Dec 2015
    NC
    xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
    457 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    They asked for the best, not the easiest. If she's as smart as she's supposed to be, she won't have any problem learning the CTX. All machines have a certain learning curve and take time to master. Starting with the CTX, she won't be bringing any bad habits from a previous machine!
    That is my thinking as well. If you have to learn something why not learn the best. That was my thought process when I bought my deus, then the ctx. That way I learn just once.

us
    Aug 2014
    Laconia, NH
    XP Deus v4.1 beta 2
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by can View Post
    That is my thinking as well. If you have to learn something why not learn the best. That was my thought process when I bought my deus, then the ctx. That way I learn just once.
    Which one do you like the best, the Deus or the CTX?

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Deus XP, AT Pro, Racer 2, Ace 400
    2196 times
    Metal Detecting
    Very rarely ever a good idea to start with a high end machine - More than likely you'll have it on craigslist or ebay at a decent loss within half a year, and it doesn't matter if she knows how to spell every state capital backwards ect ect.

That said, as a coin shooter, if someone walked up to me and said they are going to buy me any metal detector I want for being such a handsome fellow, I'd go with a Minelab Etrac.
    What I'd advise is a Garrett Ace 400.
    Davers likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    4155 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    Very rarely ever a good idea to start with a high end machine - More than likely you'll have it on craigslist or ebay at a decent loss within half a year, and it doesn't matter if she knows how to spell every state capital backwards ect ect.

That said, as a coin shooter, if someone walked up to me and said they are going to buy me any metal detector I want for being such a handsome fellow, I'd go with a Minelab Etrac.
    What I'd advise is a Garrett Ace 400.
    There again, that isn't what they asked for. We can debate the merits of a starter machine if you like, but, they asked our opinion on which machine is the best. I don't think there is any machine out there that a newbie couldn't turn and go with a stock program and be reasonably successful. My only concern with someone who has never detected before is, will they stick with it, or, give up because either they decide "it's not for me" or they just can't handle the physical part of it.Figuring out how to best tweak the machine for their type of hunting just takes time and experimentation (and advice from us here on Tnet!)
    RobRieman and can like this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    21809 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Sovereign XS 2 Pro with W.O.T. Coil.

as said Before , it all comes down to what your Comfortable with.
    & it's made by Minelab

in detectors Price isn't always important. You need to swing Over the Target
    and Dig it up. whether the detector says Good or bad.
    Sometimes Iron things are worth More then Gold Things.
    the Detector won't tell you if your signal is a Rusted Bottle cap, $1.00 Gold Piece, a Pull Tab from a Beer can, crumpled up aluminum foil that was wrapped around a 1960's Sandwich , or the edge of a Pirate era Cannon stuffed with Doubloons.
    till you dig it up, it is all & non of those things.

No Metal detector on Earth will Tell you what is in the ground before you Dig.
    (unless it is in the hands of a former pro Rastler) There are some that supposedly show you the Shape of the Object.
    But I think in that case the Objects need to be the size of a Car & shaped like a foundation. (Ground Penetrating Radar)
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Aug 25, 2016 at 04:01 AM.
    can, Tom_in_CA and Davers like this.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links