Cutting to the Chase what's the top Metal Detector in the World-Money no object

Deathgiggle

Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife turns to me and says she wants to get a metal detector and check out our property here in rural Louisiana. Used to be an old train depot here in the 1880's and there are 3 old homesteads on our property from the 1800's as well. My wife also knows a lot of these old country folk and won't have trouble getting permission to search other possible areas and old home sites.

She has worked extremely hard over the years to put herself through college and med school while holding down a full time job. After that she spent the last 2 years working 12-20 hour shifts, all nights and weekends and wore out many pairs of shoes along the way. Now that she has established herself she has a better rotation of 4 days on and 6 days off, we can start enjoying life.

In all the 12 years we been together my wife never asked me for hardly anything. She wanted a car that ran to get her to school and work, a new pair of shoes every 3 months and food cooked when she got home. She never asked me for anything for Christmas, birthdays, etc. Now she out of the blue says she wants a metal detector and asked me to do some research and order her one.

I Googled around for top metal detector but as you can imagine every company would like to think they are the best. I come to you because I know that many of you have put in years of real world testing, research and for some of you it is your main hobby and you take it seriously.
I'm not looking for a beginner machine or something easy to learn. My wife is super smart, she can name off every bone and muscle in the body. She can pronounce medical words I can't even spell, lol. I'm pretty sure no matter the difficulty, if she puts her mind to it, she will learn to use it.

I just want to know what you would purchase today if money were no object. Let me identify the possible places she would be using it as well.
Mainly she will use it on old homesteads and rural Louisiana land. She may want to take it down south to the beach or to Florida when we go, but she won't be putting it in the water. Our beach trips are just a couple times a year so not a big priority. We probably won't ever go out west and hunt nuggets or anything like that. She has more of a historical interest than anything else.
I fully intend by the end of next week to order her the best machine I can find. I am just still shocked she asked for something and I'm determined to put the best in her hands. She never said no to me when I wanted a boat or an ATV, etc. I will never deny her anything in this life if it's within my power. I love her more than anything on earth an if she wants to detect something I'll be her chauffeur and personal digger, lol.

Upvote 0

sovereign76

Aug 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, was reading the threads, and wanted to add that i had ace 150 with 11dd coil and had some good finds execept at beach, since upgrading to minelab sov my finds have tripled i mostly at least come back with a pocket of change, i also found that my second machine eurotek pro was a massive improvement on the ace in terms of depth and falsing alot less i had the 250 before the 150 and dropped it in water, i had emalied garrett and they said they get same depth so just replaced it with 150 i think the aces have had their day and there are far more effective machines out there for not alot more money, i think a new detectorist can do better than the ace without spending loads

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus is wayyyyyy better than any Minelab!
:headbang:

LOL Not to me.

I know the Sovereign, I know the Explorer, & even know a 1970's Whites Coinmaster .
so for me I say those 3 machines are better then a Deus :thumbsup:

Now if you want to ship me a freebie to learn, I'll add it to My list of good detectors :laughing7:

My point being what you are most experienced with outshines everything.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the upper range Minelab detectors to be simple and easy to learn. Bought a Safari, it was a piece of cake to use, simple and deep, had a chance to get a barely used ETrac and bought it, more advanced than Safari but still fairly simple to use. Got CTX 3030 now and found it to be deep, fun and easy to use as well.

I own Excals and Sovereign GTs, no problem learning and no one helped me other than members on TreasureNet through questions asked.

If new owners explores the menus and messes up the settings a simple factory reset clears it up and they are back to where they started. Andy Sabisch writes fantastic hand books for the upper end detectors that makes learning the detectors easy too...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Last edited:

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha - Thought it was kinda odd for you to flip flop like that. I remember seeing a Whites commercial to, featured an old guy who found a stash of silver Morgans in his back yard the 2nd day he used it. While things like that are possible, they are highly, highly unlikely. But yeah, alot of folks including me get frustrated when they are not finding anything good for extended periods, fact may be that there is nothing to find in the areas they are hunting.
Could be hunted out, could be out of reach, could be simply nothing there in the 1st place. Thats where the "thrill of the chase" part comes in, and turns frustration into determination [for me at least, usually].
just trying to lighten up a conversation that was getting a bit too serious. Should have added LOL. happy hunting all.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found the upper range Minelab detectors to be simple and easy to learn. Bought a Safari, it was a piece of cake to use, simple and deep, had a chance to get a barely used ETrac and bought it, more advanced than Safari but still fairly simple to use. Got CTX 3030 now and found it to be deep, fun and easy to use as well.

I own Excals and Sovereign GTs, no problem learning and no one helped me other than members on TreasureNet through questions asked.

If new owners explores the menus and messes up the settings a simple factory reset clears it up and they are back to where they started. Andy Sabisch writes fantastic hand books for the upper end detectors that makes learning the detectors easy too...

DT2016

Treasure Hunter hit the ten ring. I'm no techno wizard...no cav guy I know is....but I learned the CTX...as well as the Deus with little effort. Don't be afraid of a detector that offers multiple options. They also have turn on and go capabilities until you feel more comfortable with it and can start to explore the enhanced options.

The original post asked for the best detector on the market...money was no object. He also stated that his wife was a smart cookie and would have no trouble learning any detector. Given that, the suggestion of the CTX and the Deus seem to fit his stated objective. They're not hard to learn.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Since acquiring my CTX, my other machines seem to have fallen into retirement.

The CTX, with a harness, proper diggers, pin pointers, finds pouch and a small satchel for bug spray, water, bandaids, extra coil bolt, PP batteries, lipstick and all other accessories ($ not a factor) would make a wonderful set up.

That's phase one, equipment.

Phase two is training.

A highly calibrated torque wrench is just a funny looking hammer if you don't know how to properly use it.

Andy's course, local club's, books or someone who is a very experienced operator- all should be considered.

Things are only difficult or overwhelming if you don't understand them.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you guys find it funny. I'm laughing myself as I made that post to rile up the minelab clicke that obviously hang out in the metal detecting forum.

"OMG guys......I got a 1246! Unfreaking believable! I just dug a Rosie dime 10 inches down in this clean, hunted out park!" :laughing7:

As soon as I saw the title to this thread "Money no object" I knew the minelab guys would jump all over it. So predictable!

What's funny is even if the thread had "Only got $300 to spend" in the title you guys would still reply "E-twack!"

:laughing9: O.k I'll leave now!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you guys find it funny. I'm laughing myself as I made that post to rile up the minelab clicke that obviously hang out in the metal detecting forum.

"OMG guys......I got a 1246! Unfreaking believable! I just dug a Rosie dime 10 inches down in this clean, hunted out park!" :laughing7:

As soon as I saw the title to this thread "Money no object" I knew the minelab guys would jump all over it. So predictable!

What's funny is even if the thread had "Only got $300 to spend" in the title you guys would still reply "E-twack!"

:laughing9: O.k I'll leave now!

Buy a Minelab :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... Don't be afraid of a detector that offers multiple options. They also have turn on and go capabilities until you feel more comfortable with it and can start to explore the enhanced options.
..... the CTX and the .... They're not hard to learn.

You think the CTX is "not hard to learn" ? Perhaps you mean that ... provided, someone starts with it's "turn and go capabilities", right ? Ie.: the default dumbed down presets, right ?

If so, then sure, in that case, it would be "easy to learn". But the devil is in the details:

NO ONE CONTENTS THEMSELVES with the bumper cars child mode. They will feel like they are "missing out" if they don't go in and fiddle with the adult options. I have not seen a beginner yet that can't resist, lest he not be "in league with the big boys". And assume for the moment they content themselves with presets: You can bet that the mere presence of all those other star ship enterprise controls (even if not using them) will simply have them feeling intimidated.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You think the CTX is "not hard to learn" ?

I had been using a CZ21, Excal, and DF and still thought the CTX was like going from simple addition to figuring out the area of 3D objects:laughing7: First few hunts were pretty bad just using the factory settings. Each time I went out I would make some changes and reread Andy's book...After about 35-40 hours I finally have what I think are my presets. I think a beginner could get frustrated very quickly trying to learn that machine + learning how to metal detect...the problem is they go out 1-2 times and get frustrated and just quit - I think it happens a lot even with simple machines.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottom line after seeing many people start on the cheap (me included) and upgraded a few times in the 1st 12 months, you might as well get the best you can afford. All detectors have preset processes that any beginner can turn on and go with. Weight, balance, ergonomics, design, tone/sounds, all should be considered though. For instance, I rather have a good balanced detector that does not require an arm strap to be used.

BuckRogers2000

Aug 24, 2016
Logan, Utah
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, I'm requesting that the OP adopt me. I'm almost house broken (6 or 7 years and I should be trained). I'd love an opportunity to detect his proprty!

Anyway, I'm new to detecting myself. I found an excellent book that really helped me:

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Detecting-Beginners-Beyond-Kerber/dp/1501066692

I purchased a White's MXT. I'm now busy scouring the ski resort where I work, just to get experience. I'm taking the wife to various ghost towns in our region...while we may not find treasure I bet we have a glorious anniversary trip!

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'm going to toss my .02 in here as well:
I began with a metal detector from big 5 sporting goods and graduated up once I tested the dirt so to speak.
My favorite is the Garrett AT Pro as it is lightweight and a powerhouse in the terrain I use it in.
The most important things I can tell you is each machine has its own "language" that translates into tones. Once you are able to understand what the tones are saying, the hunt is on!
There are customizations you can make to every set up, for example, you can buy a carbon fiber shaft by Armstrong to lighten the overall weight, but, before you venture that route, spend some serious time swinging the stock version.
Also, coil modifications. For the AT Pro I love the 5x8 coil, it is my go to 80% of the time. For old homesteads that have a lot of area to cover, may I recommend the NEL Tornado. The depth and sensitivity is outstanding!
There are also some essentials in metal detecting in regards to tools: Lesche digging tools are strong, sharp and comfortable in my opinion and my overall favorite.
Pin Pointers are a must to ease the digging energy. I love the Garrett AT (carrot) or the Garrett II.
Gloves are also essential. Padded palms are great for pushing down on shovels, picks, etc. not to mention, protect your hands from cuts when unearthing glass or old iron.
Earphones: stock are ok....but I really like the Ghost Amphibians they are clear as a bell, light, breathable and overall comfortable!
A nice storage Bag is great to have. Everything in one spot, easy to grab and go!
This is a great hobby! Full of surprises and at times extremely challenging.
The secret of success begins with the research. I wish your wife the best of luck and fun!
Happy Hunting!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think the CTX is "not hard to learn" ? Perhaps you mean that ... provided, someone starts with it's "turn and go capabilities", right ? Ie.: the default dumbed down presets, right ?

If so, then sure, in that case, it would be "easy to learn". But the devil is in the details:

NO ONE CONTENTS THEMSELVES with the bumper cars child mode. They will feel like they are "missing out" if they don't go in and fiddle with the adult options. I have not seen a beginner yet that can't resist, lest he not be "in league with the big boys". And assume for the moment they content themselves with presets: You can bet that the mere presence of all those other star ship enterprise controls (even if not using them) will simply have them feeling intimidated.
I have talked to many members who have only been using factory settings on their high end detectors like Safari, ETrac and 3030 for years

DT2016

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to mention when you make several changes and are unsure about what you changed simply do a factory reset. The ctx really is not hard to learn and use with a little time spent watching videos and reading online or printed materials.

sovereign76

Aug 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best detector minelab sov im drunk out my skull im in scotland thats where i live, good to hear from you americans treasure hunters happy huntin ma dudes

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems quite evident that many do not remember the days of tv before cable. Or the days of cb radios. It was all about changing everything possible to get the best signal. From twisting the antenna to the proper degree, to twisting the round tuner that went around the channel knob, to getting the squelch set just right to getting a 100 antenna put up in the back just to get the best signal possible. There was no science to it. No factory settings. It was a shot in the dark. It was trial and error. And when you got it tuned in just right the wind would change and you would have to go back to square one and start all over again...twisting every knob, changing the angle on the antenna...there were never any permanent settings. Detecting is no different. (except now with some machines there are some presets) I have just started detecting, and evidently have purchased 2 or the more complicated machine, but folks this ain't rocket science and I don't have a rocket, I have a MD. ITS NOT going to blow up. Its a toy or a tool used for enjoyment and recreation. 99% of us will never hit something big. But thats ok because I am enjoying the search, recreation and the challenge of learning something new and meeting new folks. Ever since I was a teenager I knew the importance of getting the best equipment or tool the first time for whatever I was doing. It just increases your odds and saves money in the long run. Have a good Saturday hunt every one.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of viewpoints to draw from here,it's almost like trying to buy a car....which ones best? Start out with certain criteria and go from there. In the game of detecting,major components will increase your odds of finding what YOURE after.
1) Location. I know someone else put this second,but it's first.
2) Experience with YOUR machine
3) Perseverance
4) The equipment your using
We all have certain detectors we are partial to. MY opinion is,of the 3 machines I own and the 5 I've tried(CTX,Explorer2,IDXPro,ATPro,DEUS),the Explorer2 has the best audio. The IDX is the best balanced. The DEUS is the lightest.....you can only swing one at a time,what to do? I use the one that finds me the most old silver and copper coins,that's what I'm after. Right now that's the CTX.
You(she) has to decide first of all exactly what it is she's after. Hunting relics is different than hunting coins,and requires a different mindset and slightly different equipment. She will NOT want a Sovereign,way too "knobby". A nice machine with touchpad,a promise to stay in factory presets for the first 50 hours to learn the machine,an excellent VAST array of coils to choose from in the aftermarket and factory coils and a track record of being at the top of the most competent fun machines to own....the Minelab Explorers. Big money does not necessarily equate to big results. A location with potential to hold what you're looking for is absolutely the most important factor in any of this,that will never change. While ANYTHING can be ANYWHERE,it is not usually the case. I don't go looking for good things in bad places. I used to. Then I learned not to. In a situation such as yours,if she cleans out your property and then hangs the machine up,I'd feel better about NOT buying that CTX. A nice used Explorer2 or SE can be had for way less than a CTX and has the performance to keep her learning for many years. Many other machines may also grab her attention but keep in mind the list above and the importance of it. You need the good site first,if it's not there she won't find it.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would argue that a beginner with an advanced machine decreases odds of finding goodies, not increase.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread