TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi guys,

I just thought you'd like the legend of a newbie to detecting who decided to blow his meager savings of his first year of full-time working that didn't go into useless stuff like food and rent (why am I living in an apartment when I could get a camper van for less?) on metal detecting gear. I also made the mistake of investing a good portion of my savings into a company savings program just a month before I caught the detecting bug, no idea if that's a good or bad thing :)

Over the last three months I've been buying gear like a mad man but as of today I have finally placed the last two orders that I had still postponed to this paycheck. Yeay to gear purchasing day!

Now I have it all, the good, the fancy and the luxurious!

Here's the list:

Garrett AT Pro kit with findings pouch and stupid camo hat that certainly won't replace my beloved Ford hat I found on the side of a
road five years ago.

Garrett Propointer AT, orange is my favourite colour after lime green and they didn't have a lime green model in stock for some reason.

NEL Hunter coil, straight from the Ukraine got delivered yesterday after only a week and some days. No testing done yet.

NEL Snake coil, finally purchased it today after postponing it for a while because I already have the 5x8 but people recommend it left and right so I bought it.

Mars Universal collapsible shaft for the AT, that thing is awesome as I get around by bicycle almost anywhere with just a backpack and being able to unfold the detector in a couple of seconds instead of taking a couple of minutes to assemble it is a godsend.

Very pretty looking two part shovel, finally ordered it yesterday and hope to get it by tomorrow. Oddjob recommended it to me and again portability will probably make this my number one digging tool, looks like a very fine piece of stainless that thing. I will probably wrap the handle with duct tape against the summer heat, but I guess otherwise it will be perfect.

My sand scoop is this one, works a charm, especially after I built a three-part handle for it.

Deteknix digging knife. Just purchased this today as well, in the end I got this over the Garrett Edge Digger frankly just because it was 10€ cheaper and has an orange handle :) I've mostly hunted beaches and playgrounds until now so I had no need for a digger. I dug my first plug last weekend and realized it was a lot easier than I thought so I'll most likely do that more often from now on.

While I was at it I also went for their wireless headphones. This purchase I pondered for a while now as the stock headphones are pretty nice actually. I like them, I just now that the wire gets in the way all the time and over time I will break them. Also by buying this I got into "no shipping cost" territory and saved 6.9€. Oh well, I think I will like them for shorter land hunts. What I don't like about them is that apparently the battery is not exchangeable and I hate when electronics have that flaw. But six hours of runtime should be enough for most cases and if I'm out longer I can get by with a powerbank or bring the stock headphones.

I also have a 5.11 Rush 24 backpack now that fits my gear and water bladder and then some. I looked for a detecting backpack since I started detecting and pondered a lot of options but in the end this one ticks all the boxes. It's well made with a big compartment, has lots of individual pockets for camera gear and odds and ends and all this super tactical molle stuff that enabled me to put a glasses pouch on the shoulder strap so I can change quickly between my prescription and sun glasses. I can't tell you how awesome that is, sunglasses for us glasses wearing folks are such a hassle otherwise.

So that's basically it, I also bought an Ace 350 with some addons (including a waterproof housing from the NEL guys) for when I want to detect with friends.

Now on to earning that money back, that's the great thing about this hobby, I mean lifestyle :coins:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Looks like you are on your way. Have you done much magnet fishing?

Quite a bit yes, but lately I've spent most weekends detecting, more profitable in the end :) However magnet fishing is a whole lot of fun, it's always amazing me what people think belongs in our waterways.

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Never heard of that collapsible shaft for the PRO. I'll have to check that one out!

You can get straight shafts, I think that would be even better honestly. I like the Mars but the straight shaft is most likely even more compact because it goes up into the armrest. However the Mars is great as well.

james-florida

Aug 31, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Man, Just checked out that AT Pro collapsible shaft. That thing is awesome! Never seen one of those before. It's definitely on my list now!

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Man, Just checked out that AT Pro collapsible shaft. That thing is awesome! Never seen one of those before. It's definitely on my list now!

Great thing indeed, makes getting ready so much easier. With the shovel this will be a winning combination, I'm sure of that.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Trashure is quite a good name.

I wish you the very best of luck. Don't forget to have some fun too.

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Trashure is quite a good name.

I wish you the very best of luck. Don't forget to have some fun too.

Thanks, I like it as well :) It's hard not to have fun while detecting so I think I'm safe.

james-florida

Aug 31, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
You can get straight shafts, I think that would be even better honestly. I like the Mars but the straight shaft is most likely even more compact because it goes up into the armrest. However the Mars is great as well.

Ok, yeah it was the Straight Shaft Mars I was looking at. The one that retracts into the armrest. Really neat!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That AAA spaten is great, I have the sand scoop as well.

My handle on the spaten is not covered, I just wear some mechanic gloves, well cheap knock off ones from Obi. LOL

You are ready though for sure.

By the way, my son says to thank you from him. After I told you about the youtube thing and you told me some things I decided to let him do it now. My wife said it just took a younger generation to convince me that life is not all about PERSEC and OPSEC; I still think she is nuts on that topic.

So my son has all this footage he has already shot with his cam mounted Mars shaft and from the cam on his velomobile.

He says he does not know much on the mater but I told him that he just needs to reach out to you, his German and English is great like yours so I am sure you two will be able to communicate.

I have been going over your grid for the island trip as well. Dude that place seems like a you just need to pull out your MD as soon as you get off the ship. It would be easier to find places you should not go MDing than places you should go. So I am sure from all the gathered intel your trip will get paid for fast and you will have some great vids to show us all.

Back on topic of your gear. When my son and I go out on velomobiles or bikes to hit MD spots we take a small first aid kit. Never do it with the SUV because naturally it is German plated and we follow TÜV Laws with the kit in the truck.

But I was thinking it may not hurt you to get you something small to disinfect any cut or poke you may get in your hunts until you can get to a doctor. I say this because a bike is more versatile than a vehicle folks often end up off the beaten path deeper into the bush just because they can more so than others.

Its just a thought man.

Take care and congrats on all your gear. Happy to see you got that snake in.

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That AAA spaten is great, I have the sand scoop as well.

My handle on the spaten is not covered, I just wear some mechanic gloves, well cheap knock off ones from Obi. LOL
That might work as well, but sometimes I have the glove off to use the buttons on the camera and I figure a strap of tape won't hurt :) Are you sure the Obi knockoffs were cheaper than real Mechanix? I never buy there because they put too high numbers on their price tags for my taste lol.

By the way, my son says to thank you from him. After I told you about the youtube thing and you told me some things I decided to let him do it now. My wife said it just took a younger generation to convince me that life is not all about PERSEC and OPSEC; I still think she is nuts on that topic.

So my son has all this footage he has already shot with his cam mounted Mars shaft and from the cam on his velomobile.

He says he does not know much on the mater but I told him that he just needs to reach out to you, his German and English is great like yours so I am sure you two will be able to communicate.

You have my email address and if he messages me on youtube I will receive a notification as well, any help I can offer :)
In the end youtube isn't that bad, or I wouldn't have started. Worst comes to worst you take the videos / channel down and two days later the whole world has forgotten about your existance :)

I have been going over your grid for the island trip as well. Dude that place seems like a you just need to pull out your MD as soon as you get off the ship. It would be easier to find places you should not go MDing than places you should go. So I am sure from all the gathered intel your trip will get paid for fast and you will have some great vids to show us all.
That's what I've been thinking, I guess I should be able to make some good money there. Camera will be rolling, I got enough spare batteries for it :)

Back on topic of your gear. When my son and I go out on velomobiles or bikes to hit MD spots we take a small first aid kit. Never do it with the SUV because naturally it is German plated and we follow TÜV Laws with the kit in the truck.

That's not a bad idea, I will make sure to get one soon.

Take care and congrats on all your gear. Happy to see you got that snake in.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it, should be here on Friday as Nugget had it in stock.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah it was Obi, right at the front with all the orange knock off stuff for the Obi Kundencard holders discounts. LOL

Your trip should be great, but it is really a hard one to guess at. On one end you have the Freizeit park where many of the Abi and future Abi classes would travel to, which makes it gold for everything they will drop and then on the other end you have the family side of things on that north beach.

I have been digging for every last playground I can find in all the neighborhoods. But so far what has really caught my eye I would hit first is the south west and south east beaches of Dranske. Higher end hotels, more parties more lost items.

Time will tell though, not much longer.

Are you taking your bike on the trip? WOuld not be a bad idea man, because these little German islands often offer up a great deal of good finds, sometimes you get lucky and they are concentrated like in Borkum but other times you have to keep moving along and this island seems like it is going to be a mix of both.

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeah it was Obi, right at the front with all the orange knock off stuff for the Obi Kundencard holders discounts. LOL

Your trip should be great, but it is really a hard one to guess at. On one end you have the Freizeit park where many of the Abi and future Abi classes would travel to, which makes it gold for everything they will drop and then on the other end you have the family side of things on that north beach.

I have been digging for every last playground I can find in all the neighborhoods. But so far what has really caught my eye I would hit first is the south west and south east beaches of Dranske. Higher end hotels, more parties more lost items.

Time will tell though, not much longer.

Are you taking your bike on the trip? WOuld not be a bad idea man, because these little German islands often offer up a great deal of good finds, sometimes you get lucky and they are concentrated like in Borkum but other times you have to keep moving along and this island seems like it is going to be a mix of both.

My original plan was to take the bicycle on a train, that's 50€ for the roundtrip but yesterday I realized I get rental cars very cheaply via my employer and one car level higher than I order so I'm currently considering paying 220€ for two weeks of rental car, then I would have a somewhat safe space for my gear and could bring my notebook along, I think if it's just tent and bicycle I will leave the notebook at home but I don't think I will be able to fit my bicycle in a smart or VW up lol.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My original plan was to take the bicycle on a train, that's 50€ for the roundtrip but yesterday I realized I get rental cars very cheaply via my employer and one car level higher than I order so I'm currently considering paying 220€ for two weeks of rental car, then I would have a somewhat safe space for my gear and could bring my notebook along, I think if it's just tent and bicycle I will leave the notebook at home but I don't think I will be able to fit my bicycle in a smart or VW up lol.

If it where me I would just stick to the bike, these Euro islands have some great bike paths. You know of all with a bike you can stop right away, no turn around looking for parking or anything. Just stop and MD.

Just my thoughts though, you have two weeks to clear the good spots and tucked away spots, plus no added cost either.

Also with a car on islands there are many of those roads that you can not drive on to.

Me I love profits and consider everything, a good vacation is one that pays for its self. LOL

Just do not forget that rain gear man or ground sheet if your using a tent. Decathalon sells ground sheets pretty cheap.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would like to have a shovel like that ,pretty cool . how well do they hold up. would be perfect on my four wheeler( ATV).

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn now I Have to look at the Link Chug

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guys,

I just thought you'd like the legend of a newbie to detecting who decided to blow his meager savings of his first year of full-time working that didn't go into useless stuff like food and rent (why am I living in an apartment when I could get a camper van for less?) on metal detecting gear. I also made the mistake of investing a good portion of my savings into a company savings program just a month before I caught the detecting bug, no idea if that's a good or bad thing :)

Over the last three months I've been buying gear like a mad man but as of today I have finally placed the last two orders that I had still postponed to this paycheck. Yeay to gear purchasing day!

Now I have it all, the good, the fancy and the luxurious!

Here's the list:

Garrett AT Pro kit with findings pouch and stupid camo hat that certainly won't replace my beloved Ford hat I found on the side of a
road five years ago.

Garrett Propointer AT, orange is my favourite colour after lime green and they didn't have a lime green model in stock for some reason.

NEL Hunter coil, straight from the Ukraine got delivered yesterday after only a week and some days. No testing done yet.

NEL Snake coil, finally purchased it today after postponing it for a while because I already have the 5x8 but people recommend it left and right so I bought it.

Mars Universal collapsible shaft for the AT, that thing is awesome as I get around by bicycle almost anywhere with just a backpack and being able to unfold the detector in a couple of seconds instead of taking a couple of minutes to assemble it is a godsend.

Very pretty looking two part shovel, finally ordered it yesterday and hope to get it by tomorrow. Oddjob recommended it to me and again portability will probably make this my number one digging tool, looks like a very fine piece of stainless that thing. I will probably wrap the handle with duct tape against the summer heat, but I guess otherwise it will be perfect.

My sand scoop is this one, works a charm, especially after I built a three-part handle for it.

Deteknix digging knife. Just purchased this today as well, in the end I got this over the Garrett Edge Digger frankly just because it was 10€ cheaper and has an orange handle :) I've mostly hunted beaches and playgrounds until now so I had no need for a digger. I dug my first plug last weekend and realized it was a lot easier than I thought so I'll most likely do that more often from now on.

While I was at it I also went for their wireless headphones. This purchase I pondered for a while now as the stock headphones are pretty nice actually. I like them, I just now that the wire gets in the way all the time and over time I will break them. Also by buying this I got into "no shipping cost" territory and saved 6.9€. Oh well, I think I will like them for shorter land hunts. What I don't like about them is that apparently the battery is not exchangeable and I hate when electronics have that flaw. But six hours of runtime should be enough for most cases and if I'm out longer I can get by with a powerbank or bring the stock headphones.

I also have a 5.11 Rush 24 backpack now that fits my gear and water bladder and then some. I looked for a detecting backpack since I started detecting and pondered a lot of options but in the end this one ticks all the boxes. It's well made with a big compartment, has lots of individual pockets for camera gear and odds and ends and all this super tactical molle stuff that enabled me to put a glasses pouch on the shoulder strap so I can change quickly between my prescription and sun glasses. I can't tell you how awesome that is, sunglasses for us glasses wearing folks are such a hassle otherwise.

So that's basically it, I also bought an Ace 350 with some addons (including a waterproof housing from the NEL guys) for when I want to detect with friends.

Now on to earning that money back, that's the great thing about this hobby, I mean lifestyle :coins:

Where are you from? You sound like me.....obsessive!! Lol I have to look up that collapsible shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If it where me I would just stick to the bike, these Euro islands have some great bike paths. You know of all with a bike you can stop right away, no turn around looking for parking or anything. Just stop and MD.

Just my thoughts though, you have two weeks to clear the good spots and tucked away spots, plus no added cost either.

Also with a car on islands there are many of those roads that you can not drive on to.

Me I love profits and consider everything, a good vacation is one that pays for its self. LOL

Just do not forget that rain gear man or ground sheet if your using a tent. Decathalon sells ground sheets pretty cheap.

I agree on the benefits of a bike, that's most likely what I'll be doing. Maybe they have a safe on the campground for the notebook, I will give them a call.

I would like to have a shovel like that ,pretty cool . how well do they hold up. would be perfect on my four wheeler( ATV).

Keep in mind I haven't received it yet but I would be surprised if it breaks under normal or even heavy use. I've had the hardest time finding the two part version, even here in Germany where stainless steel tools are made like crazy I couldn't find a second seller. If I were you I'd call the guy and see if he delivers to the US. I will update you guys once I receive it, I'm especially interested in how well the two pieces fit together but I have no fear that it will rattle the slightest bit, looks well made.

Where are you from? You sound like me.....obsessive!! Lol I have to look up that collapsible shaft.

Good ol' Germany :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread