New Jersey metal detecting info

Aug 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
I live in warren county new jersey and I am just starting to get into the hobby. Is there anyone on here from jersey or someone who detects in jersey that can help me with the laws and the what to do and not to do. I am also interested in detecting the rivers and lakes for lost items. Thank for the help

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet bulldog, A great place to share the passion of the hobby/obsession. I lurked on this site for a few months reading others posts and did a lot of searching for the info I was interested in learning. On the job training is the best. Just take your detector out in the yard and place coins of different denominations down along with a gold ring, pull tab, & nail or screw. For better trash to treasure ratio's until you get some swinging time under your belt you might want to discriminate out everything and if your detector will allow, notch nickels back in. Hunt your yard and maybe friends and relatives and practice, take this time to learn to dig good plugs. No one want their yard to look like a WW 1 battlefield. Watch videos of others using your make and model detector. Again Welcome to Tnet

GL & HH

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bulldog, (wasn't that a Beatles song?)

I live in North Hunterdon near Califon. I think Loco gave some good advice. Spend some time in your own or friends yards getting to know your machine. After that you can look into finding more interesting sites to hunt. I just up-graded last week and will be spending some time with the learning curve before venturing out to a few spots I have been lining up.

As far as NJ laws, basically follow general laws regarding trespassing. Remember that in NJ, the land is owned by someone, whether it be private, or public. If you aren't sure, check with the towns tax assessor for property ownership before taking the chance. Different counties have different regulations regarding detecting. Hunterdon does not allow it on county property, but Somerset does. You just have to remember to replace any plugs you dig.

Send me a PM and maybe we can get together for a hunt before winter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread