I'll be leaving the hobby after 2+ years

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really got into metal detecting to find silver coins. The first year I found 10 or 11. But this past year I've only found 2(dimes; and I really had to work to find these). It's been 7 months since I found my last one. I've been trying to detect older areas so there could POTENTIALLY be silver to be found. But no luck. I guess other detectorists have cleaned these areas out or not as many silver coins were dropped back in the day as I thought there were. Yes, I find clad coins. But it doesn't make sense to spend $5 in gas to travel to a spot where I find $1.30 in clad. Also, I'll spend $10 on a new pair of gloves occasionally. And batteries cost money. It's gotten to the point where it's really not worth it. I'm not even finding silver rings anymore(go figure). I think my first year was just beginner's luck. There is so much mineralization in the desert soil that the AT-Pro only gets 2.5--3" of detection. If I use the big coil I might get 3.5--4". Maybe the silver coins are hiding deeper and I'm just not able to detect them. But I've tried everything and have run out of answers. I've read other posts on this site where detectorists consistently find silver, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've asked permission from some owners of older properties(i.e. old motels, old houses) but most of the time I hear a "no".
I'm going to concentrate on CRHing as I find silver coins more frequently with this method. It seems more time-worthy. BTW, if anyone out there is interested in buying my AT-Pro at a reasonable price, PM me. HH everyone. It wasn't all bad. Thanks for the memories. 7up.

Upvote 0

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it necessary for a hobby to cover all of its expenses? Do you have to make a profit?

A hobby or a passion doesn't carry with it a balance sheet. The pleasure of getting outside in interesting places, the historical research, the thrill of the hunt, the occasional "big find" which is sometimes nothing more than a wheat penny, the playing with cool technology... these are the reasons to metal detect.

If you're constantly worrying about whether or not you'll find enough silver to pay for gloves and gas, then you're probably wise to pack it up. But it sounds like you would do well to re-evaluate what a hobby is for. When you make it into "work" don't be surprised when the fun disappears.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So many things to enjoy and appreciate about this hobby. One of them is the built in filter.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes,cardinal rule number one....let me give an example....

Here in southern Wisconsin there is an old farm that I have permission to detect right across from my work. Because I walk across the road to get to it,in the last 2.5 years I've hunted it literally 50 times. It's weedy,overgrown,BIG hostas out front which are impossible to swing in....my count up til last fall was around 10 wheats,a Merc,an Indian,a V nickel....I rooted that place for many many many hunts without a thing to show for it. Because the farm dates to the late 1860's,I COULD NOT believe there wasn't anything better in there.
Fast forward to last fall and my 1/2 hour lunch on a Friday. I had my Explorer2 with me and we had a forecast of 9" of snow later that afternoon. That would potentially shut me down til spring. I gave it one last shot,and decided to give the hostas a workout,since they were laying down now. Would you believe I wound up digging the second oldest coin I have found....EVER? An 1846 Large Cent in beautiful condition! I did not expect in a million years to find that coin there,and if I had based my decision to go back all those times on the number of finds I'd made,I would've never found that stunning piece of history.
Nobody wants to go out and get skunked all the time. If this is happening,change the circumstances. As Tom said,location is number one. Try to narrow down where things may be,then your chances of a good find increase dramatically. Be sure to test your machine,if I was only getting a maximum of 4" with ANY machine,I would be very unhappy. There must be more going on. The Minelab FBS machines handle nasty soil and mineralization much better than some other units. Depending on your finances,perhaps check into a used FBS unit.
No matter WHAT....the treasure hunters credo stands.....NEVER....EVER....EVER EVER EVER EVER GIVE UP!!!!

Great story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep..its all about location and attitude. Back in the 80's it was considered a bad day if i didn't come home with at least 2 bucks in silver. I just came back to the hobby last year and guess what? I have found no silver this year and one silver dime last year. Does it bother me? No, i get to get out of the house and do what i love to do. I dig new holes and seek out new clad in new civilizations. I boldly go where EVERYONE has gone before.

Last edited:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep..its all about location and attitude. Back in the 80's it was considered a bad day if i didn't come home with at least 2 bucks in silver. I just came back to the hobby last year and guess what? I have found no silver this year and one silver dime last year. Does it bother me? No, i get to get out of the house and do what i love to do. To dig new holes and seek out new clad in new civilizations. I boldly go where EVERYONE has gone before.

"I boldly go where EVERYONE has gone before"......:3some: Sounds like a girl I knew once...thanks for the belly laugh! That is SO true!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes,cardinal rule number one....let me give an example....

Here in southern Wisconsin there is an old farm that I have permission to detect right across from my work. Because I walk across the road to get to it,in the last 2.5 years I've hunted it literally 50 times. It's weedy,overgrown,BIG hostas out front which are impossible to swing in....my count up til last fall was around 10 wheats,a Merc,an Indian,a V nickel....I rooted that place for many many many hunts without a thing to show for it. Because the farm dates to the late 1860's,I COULD NOT believe there wasn't anything better in there.
Fast forward to last fall and my 1/2 hour lunch on a Friday. I had my Explorer2 with me and we had a forecast of 9" of snow later that afternoon. That would potentially shut me down til spring. I gave it one last shot,and decided to give the hostas a workout,since they were laying down now. Would you believe I wound up digging the second oldest coin I have found....EVER? An 1846 Large Cent in beautiful condition! I did not expect in a million years to find that coin there,and if I had based my decision to go back all those times on the number of finds I'd made,I would've never found that stunning piece of history.
Nobody wants to go out and get skunked all the time. If this is happening,change the circumstances. As Tom said,location is number one. Try to narrow down where things may be,then your chances of a good find increase dramatically. Be sure to test your machine,if I was only getting a maximum of 4" with ANY machine,I would be very unhappy. There must be more going on. The Minelab FBS machines handle nasty soil and mineralization much better than some other units. Depending on your finances,perhaps check into a used FBS unit.
No matter WHAT....the treasure hunters credo stands.....NEVER....EVER....EVER EVER EVER EVER GIVE UP!!!!

Can you send me a picture of that beauty?

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It should not be surprising that a good find would be in the 'hostas'. They were planted rather than a natural growth. Planted areas, particularly old ones should always be part of your hunting pattern. It also could indicate a building nearby no longer standing.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should not be surprising that a good find would be in the 'hostas'. They were planted rather than a natural growth. Planted areas, particularly old ones should always be part of your hunting pattern. It also could indicate a building nearby no longer standing.

Yep,people bending down and planting,tending to them,etc. I usually look at places like that pretty thoroughly but the plants were out of control huge and swinging effectively was not an option during the summer. Luckily they had laid down enough to get good swinging over them by the time I found the LC.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can feel your pain...:sadsmiley: This season has been so hot and dry that I have not even tried to get new permissions since mid July. :BangHead: I am not hanging up the coil however, better weather will soon be here. :thumbsup: I have found many keeper coins this season, yet not near as many silvers as last year. The thrill of digging a plug is still there for me. I am not that familiar with the SW, but I'd imagine there has to be some Reals in your area. :icon_thumleft: I seldom average more than $1.50 an hour when detecting public land in my area. You are responsible for you and if the thrill is gone, then it's gone. :dontknow: Have you gone to other areas and hunted with any Tnet members? Everyone that I have met are good people. :notworthy: The cost of the trips in no way could be recouped with the finds, but the adventure of hunting new sites in other states is elating as well as the fellowship of being around people who share the same passion for history and detecting.

Good Luck in what ever you choose to do.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can feel your pain...:sadsmiley: This season has been so hot and dry that I have not even tried to get new permissions since mid July. :BangHead: I am not hanging up the coil however, better weather will soon be here. :thumbsup: I have found many keeper coins this season, yet not near as many silvers as last year. The thrill of digging a plug is still there for me. I am not that familiar with the SW, but I'd imagine there has to be some Reals in your area. :icon_thumleft: I seldom average more than $1.50 an hour when detecting public land in my area. You are responsible for you and if the thrill is gone, then it's gone. :dontknow: Have you gone to other areas and hunted with any Tnet members? Everyone that I have met are good people. :notworthy: The cost of the trips in no way could be recouped with the finds, but the adventure of hunting new sites in other states is elating as well as the fellowship of being around people who share the same passion for history and detecting.

Good Luck in what ever you choose to do.

I found my first Reales last month. 1829 Spanish Mexican Reales. A feeling that I will cherish forever.
382e9f419a3af1d6530eb548859d3b5f.jpg
0ce4e32db8f0fb0aff0fb65c416505d7.jpg
b8449e36eb43f187dc08aff8e40e1c32.jpg
0c4f86808a17fc0578105e46b2ff1a23.jpg

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 7up2000,

Don't give up!! It's hard sometimes as there are dry spells! Here's a few ideas:
1) When detecting at public parks, always make sure the land has history.
2) When detecting at a park with history, search the perimeter of the park FIRST. Do not go through the center and the common areas first. Detect around the border of the park, and the land close to the border of the park. Those areas are less hunted than the center of the park.
3) It's more work but detect in the bushes and detect in the wooden areas of a park, where there's thorn bushes and nettles, etc. These areas are often less hunted. If you are at an old park that has bushes around the perimeter, search there!
4) Try the grass area of sidewalks! You can tell if a sidewalk is old by the age of the homes in the area. You can also tell by looking at the characteristics of the sidewalk stone border. Look for square shapes, crumbling stone borders, etc. One FYI about this though, people often tend to suspicious and pissed off if you are hunting in their neighborhood. Try to ask permission from the home owner(s). Also, look for grassy sidewalks where the height of the grass is level with the height of the stone border. Often, old sidewalks were filled with dirt and redone. You can spot these by identifying grass that is taller in height than the border. Search the level ones.
5) You can try grassy sidewalks near old churches, old buildings also, in addition to neighborhoods.
6) Try hunting under old trees! Often, old trees had swings attached at one point and coins fly out of pockets, etc.
7) Try hunting in parks in areas where there isn't grass/lawn. Search in the pine needle-dirt areas.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet !

if the only reason you got into the Hobby was to find Silver.
Good choice to quit :thumbsup:

Last year I may have found 5 Pieces of Silver.
This year not much better .
But I really don't care that much. I like the Hobby.
and have been hunting for 50+ years .
and when it comes to silver, I have had good & Bad years.

I would suggest Coin shops or Coin auctions as an Alternate source.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, is he gone yet? You think I can have the cherry yogurt he left in the member fridge in the lounge? 8-)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, is he gone yet? You think I can have the cherry yogurt he left in the member fridge in the lounge? 8-)

This was his last post, but he was on today. Surely he's read through here, and is still thinking.

But, if he doesn't have the love, then he's in the hobby for the wrong reason. We're here because we love the excitement of the next find.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it's Yoplait no way man! Cherry Orchard is the best flavor out there!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes you catch stellar waves most of the times you don't!

I was sitting around the house wanting to go MDing and thought to myself there has to be a silver coin or wheat penny in my big old 1950 yard. So got out my detector and found a 1954 silver quarter and a wheat penny!
Older yards are where everything in families happened over the years.
Get someone interested in family history and I bet you'll have a ton of yards to detect.
And as others have said "never give up".
Best of luck on your choices!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first Reales last month. 1829 Spanish Mexican Reales. A feeling that I will cherish forever.
382e9f419a3af1d6530eb548859d3b5f.jpg
0ce4e32db8f0fb0aff0fb65c416505d7.jpg
b8449e36eb43f187dc08aff8e40e1c32.jpg
0c4f86808a17fc0578105e46b2ff1a23.jpg

Trade you my LC?? Hehe...

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been there myself. I got to the point where I thought about quitting a few times but I never did. I usually just take a break and spend my time doing a lot of research and before I knew it I was back out there finding even more than I had been before and it sounds to me like that's what the OP needs to do too. 2 years isn't very long and you need to give yourself more time in the hobby to really get in the swing of it. I have been doing this for over 20 years myself. My grandpa and uncles and their friends got me into it when I was just 6 years old and I've been at it ever since. One of my uncles actually sent me a Minelab CTX-3030 recently for an early birthday present because he knew that was my dream detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread