I'll be leaving the hobby after 2+ years

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really got into metal detecting to find silver coins. The first year I found 10 or 11. But this past year I've only found 2(dimes; and I really had to work to find these). It's been 7 months since I found my last one. I've been trying to detect older areas so there could POTENTIALLY be silver to be found. But no luck. I guess other detectorists have cleaned these areas out or not as many silver coins were dropped back in the day as I thought there were. Yes, I find clad coins. But it doesn't make sense to spend $5 in gas to travel to a spot where I find $1.30 in clad. Also, I'll spend $10 on a new pair of gloves occasionally. And batteries cost money. It's gotten to the point where it's really not worth it. I'm not even finding silver rings anymore(go figure). I think my first year was just beginner's luck. There is so much mineralization in the desert soil that the AT-Pro only gets 2.5--3" of detection. If I use the big coil I might get 3.5--4". Maybe the silver coins are hiding deeper and I'm just not able to detect them. But I've tried everything and have run out of answers. I've read other posts on this site where detectorists consistently find silver, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've asked permission from some owners of older properties(i.e. old motels, old houses) but most of the time I hear a "no".
I'm going to concentrate on CRHing as I find silver coins more frequently with this method. It seems more time-worthy. BTW, if anyone out there is interested in buying my AT-Pro at a reasonable price, PM me. HH everyone. It wasn't all bad. Thanks for the memories. 7up.

Upvote 0

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude you are definitely in the hobby for the wrong reason. When I head out all I think about is the "what if" and I normally empty my pockets at the trash bin before leaving with all the junk I found. Am I disappointed, no way, do I want to come back, of course. I probably have never found, in total more than $10 over all these years but you know what today I found a ring. And where I found it has been hunted out as you mentioned, well guess what, not every thing is found.

By all means hang it up cause that's just one less person who's going to find something, in fact, I would like to ask all the members here to quit detecting so I can increase my odds. lol.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is it necessary for a hobby to cover all of its expenses? Do you have to make a profit?

When you are covering all of your expenses I think you go from hobby to job/part time job. Hobbies are fun. No one makes money from hobbies...ok 1/100,000 does.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty limited on what your looking for and you have to be in the right place. One gold is better then any silver! Don't give up, next plug might be a cache of silver! That's the thrill of the hunt:thumbsup: Hang in there, and make sure that AT is operating right. Good Luck!

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the problem is that some people see these guys on Youtube that claim to be finding caches of coins all the time which those of us experienced people know it's fake but people that have never used a detector fall for it hook line and sinker and turn those guys into celebrities.

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think your in it for the wrong reasons. I do it because its relaxing and the thrill of what might be out there. Sorry you won't get rich. Best to get out so the rest of us can get your goodies.....Good Luck

ditto, this is the reason i do it also.... Same has deer hunting, you would be better off to go to the grocery store and buy steaks, a lot of hobbies are expensive . When i turn MD into a money maker or a job.....that is when i will quit

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TreasureNet !

if the only reason you got into the Hobby was to find Silver.
Good choice to quit :thumbsup:

Last year I may have found 5 Pieces of Silver.
This year not much better .
But I really don't care that much. I like the Hobby.
and have been hunting for 50+ years .
and when it comes to silver, I have had good & Bad years.

I would suggest Coin shops or Coin auctions as an Alternate source.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

I agree if I'm doing it just for the silver value then I'll just buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been there myself. I got to the point where I thought about quitting a few times but I never did. I usually just take a break and spend my time doing a lot of research and before I knew it I was back out there finding even more than I had been before and it sounds to me like that's what the OP needs to do too. 2 years isn't very long and you need to give yourself more time in the hobby to really get in the swing of it. I have been doing this for over 20 years myself. My grandpa and uncles and their friends got me into it when I was just 6 years old and I've been at it ever since. One of my uncles actually sent me a Minelab CTX-3030 recently for an early birthday present because he knew that was my dream detector.

Not finding anything will definitely get you smarter.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, not finding anything for a while also motivates me to find something. It's weird how that works.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I think your in it for the wrong reasons. I do it because its relaxing and the thrill of what might be out there. Sorry you won't get rich. Best to get out so the rest of us can get your goodies.....Good Luck
^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.. If you're doing it to make money maybe it is time to quit. I know the general opinion is going to be to stick it out, don't give up, etc. But.. It's not for everyone just like any other hobby. My last detector was about a $750 machine that I bought from a guy who used it once for a couple hours and threw in the towel. I paid $200 for it. It's not a magic wand. It will never make Silver coins appear under the coil is Silver coins were never lost in that spot...

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please don't go, don't goooooo, don't go away. Please don't go, don't goooooo, I'm begging you to stay...hey, hey, hey.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Adios.

If you're trying to make money off of this, it's not a hobby!

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds are good, BUT IT'S THE HUNT! Just getting out there and looking. Doing something that 99.9% of the other people will never do. BTW if you are an Account, Treasure hunting is probably not for you, stick to your spread sheets and ledgers and balance your books ( I am married to an account and she just don't get it).
IMO you wont die rich, but you will die happy.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jobs = make money. Hobbies = cost money.:occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please don't go, don't goooooo, don't go away. Please don't go, don't goooooo, I'm begging you to stay...hey, hey, hey.

KC and the Sunshine Band :thumbsup:

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do a air test on your AT pro, if you still get those pitiful depth, then your AT pro is not right.

Folks, last ditch effort to stay in the hobby. Today I sent the AT-Pro back to Garrett to get it tested. It could be malfunctioning. Anxious to hear what they have to say. And thanks to all the encouraging replies. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread