I'll be leaving the hobby after 2+ years

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really got into metal detecting to find silver coins. The first year I found 10 or 11. But this past year I've only found 2(dimes; and I really had to work to find these). It's been 7 months since I found my last one. I've been trying to detect older areas so there could POTENTIALLY be silver to be found. But no luck. I guess other detectorists have cleaned these areas out or not as many silver coins were dropped back in the day as I thought there were. Yes, I find clad coins. But it doesn't make sense to spend $5 in gas to travel to a spot where I find $1.30 in clad. Also, I'll spend $10 on a new pair of gloves occasionally. And batteries cost money. It's gotten to the point where it's really not worth it. I'm not even finding silver rings anymore(go figure). I think my first year was just beginner's luck. There is so much mineralization in the desert soil that the AT-Pro only gets 2.5--3" of detection. If I use the big coil I might get 3.5--4". Maybe the silver coins are hiding deeper and I'm just not able to detect them. But I've tried everything and have run out of answers. I've read other posts on this site where detectorists consistently find silver, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've asked permission from some owners of older properties(i.e. old motels, old houses) but most of the time I hear a "no".
I'm going to concentrate on CRHing as I find silver coins more frequently with this method. It seems more time-worthy. BTW, if anyone out there is interested in buying my AT-Pro at a reasonable price, PM me. HH everyone. It wasn't all bad. Thanks for the memories. 7up.

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't tug at my heart when a guy wants to give up - Less competition is a good thing.

Think its bad now, another decade or 2 ground found silver will really be a challenge to find. Then there is always the beach [for most folks anyhow] that at least replenishes, but there is increasing competition there as well, out in the water and on the sand.
I hit a beach this past labor day, day after actually. They do not allow metal detecting between memorial day and labor day. Went there the day after a few years ago and there was only 2 other guys there ,,, This year, 14 out in the water and half a dozen combing the sand - And this at the crack of dawn. Some guys even had head flashlights, they must have came during the night or 6am on the dot. I got there around 6:45am Managed to find a silver ring and a couple stainless, but I was shocked there we so many out there, most had AT Pros ... .
Yes sir to many out there swinging detectors now. The only ones it does good are the dealers and web sites .. I do not encourage new ones or ones that want to take up detecting..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread