I'll be leaving the hobby after 2+ years

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really got into metal detecting to find silver coins. The first year I found 10 or 11. But this past year I've only found 2(dimes; and I really had to work to find these). It's been 7 months since I found my last one. I've been trying to detect older areas so there could POTENTIALLY be silver to be found. But no luck. I guess other detectorists have cleaned these areas out or not as many silver coins were dropped back in the day as I thought there were. Yes, I find clad coins. But it doesn't make sense to spend $5 in gas to travel to a spot where I find $1.30 in clad. Also, I'll spend $10 on a new pair of gloves occasionally. And batteries cost money. It's gotten to the point where it's really not worth it. I'm not even finding silver rings anymore(go figure). I think my first year was just beginner's luck. There is so much mineralization in the desert soil that the AT-Pro only gets 2.5--3" of detection. If I use the big coil I might get 3.5--4". Maybe the silver coins are hiding deeper and I'm just not able to detect them. But I've tried everything and have run out of answers. I've read other posts on this site where detectorists consistently find silver, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've asked permission from some owners of older properties(i.e. old motels, old houses) but most of the time I hear a "no".
I'm going to concentrate on CRHing as I find silver coins more frequently with this method. It seems more time-worthy. BTW, if anyone out there is interested in buying my AT-Pro at a reasonable price, PM me. HH everyone. It wasn't all bad. Thanks for the memories. 7up.

Upvote 0

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I find silver nearly every time I'm out...but I live at the beach so people seem to always be losing it. Its all about finding the right places to go but I dont land hunt so I cant really offer you any advice.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What settings are you using in the ATP

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, how about this...just take a break, don't bail.
Stick with the crh, till the weather breaks....around New Years, start fresh. Also, keep the detector for road trips, vacations and the like...

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do a air test on your AT pro, if you still get those pitiful depth, then your AT pro is not right.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I'd suggest the same thing that BigWaveDave said. If you are located in Tucson, I'd think you'd find more on parking curbs and old lawns. Have you tried there?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your in it for the wrong reasons. I do it because its relaxing and the thrill of what might be out there. Sorry you won't get rich. Best to get out so the rest of us can get your goodies.....Good Luck

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep... if you are doing this to find a set amount of money or jewelry- nada

After you sell your detector you will find that perfect hunting ground, and no detector.

So please pass on that perfect spot.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Most newbies in my area will have the same silver-count experience, if rushing out to the same tired sad parks and schools, that we worked to smithereens in the 1970s and '80s. But I betcha there's guys around Tuscon who routinely find seateds, barbers, silver, etc.... The trick is location location location. You're not going to find easy-4-star silver at the *obvious* places.

If you don't have hard-core successful guys to buddy up with, then here's a last frontier loaded with easy-gimmees (as easy as yester-year park or school yard hunting) : Old yards of old homes. Knock on doors of the post WWII homes, and you'll get easy silver (albeit common post WWII era losses). The downside is: It's no fun knocking on doors and cold-calling :(

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever considered other types of metal detecting. You are in gold bearing country right? I have always wanted to try prospecting for nuggets with a detector. You may be able to trade out for an ATGold and use it for both types of hunting. The xterra 705 is another good machine

How about relic type hunting in ghost town sites? Just another option to mix it up a bit.

Owning the ATP have you thought about freshwater lakes/ swimming areas? They up your chances of finding dropped jewelry much more than the average park type setting.

Last edited:

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never give up!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's too bad you never went after meteorites. You are in the perfect place for it. There is very little old silver out west compared to here on the East Coast, but you have things like silver and gold nuggets, and Meteorites! :skullflag:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
frog bird.jpg

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KEEP THIS IN MIND -it's always when you're looking for something that you can't find it but when you are not looking for it that you find it. This hobby is like a tool in the shed can't find it when want it but when you don't need it was right under your nose...

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a break for a while and I don't try to predict how long my current infatuation with this pasttime will last, but it is the one thing I do that stirs the soul in ways other hobbies can't. I like the idea of CRH, but I also like to get out of the house, use technology, explore the region. Yeah, it's hard to find places to hunt and remain continuously productive, but things change over time. As others have suggested, keep it on standby. I guarantee you'll find yourself somewhere saying "Dang, wish I had my detector". Good luck 7up!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into this HOBBY - to add to my coin collection - after one year and just a few silver coins - almost gave it up
look at me now 40 yrs later and Im somewhat well known in the detecting community - over 1000 gold items
1000s of silver coins - have had many ups - many downs -some stuff came easy - some had to work my butt off for
Like Terry Mentioned - other forms of detecting out there
Have you tried hooking up with other TH'ers in your area or are there any clubs?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into this HOBBY - to add to my coin collection - after one year and just a few silver coins - almost gave it up
look at me now 40 yrs later and Im somewhat well known in the detecting community - over 1000 gold items
1000s of silver coins - have had many ups - many downs -some stuff came easy - some had to work my butt off for
Like Terry Mentioned - other forms of detecting out there
Have you tried hooking up with other TH'ers in your area or are there any clubs?

Welcome to treasurenet Casper-2... glad to see you are new to the hobby and community :P

:)

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is sad. You're breaking the #1 rule in MD. NEVER....EVER......GIVE UP!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes,cardinal rule number one....let me give an example....

Here in southern Wisconsin there is an old farm that I have permission to detect right across from my work. Because I walk across the road to get to it,in the last 2.5 years I've hunted it literally 50 times. It's weedy,overgrown,BIG hostas out front which are impossible to swing in....my count up til last fall was around 10 wheats,a Merc,an Indian,a V nickel....I rooted that place for many many many hunts without a thing to show for it. Because the farm dates to the late 1860's,I COULD NOT believe there wasn't anything better in there.
Fast forward to last fall and my 1/2 hour lunch on a Friday. I had my Explorer2 with me and we had a forecast of 9" of snow later that afternoon. That would potentially shut me down til spring. I gave it one last shot,and decided to give the hostas a workout,since they were laying down now. Would you believe I wound up digging the second oldest coin I have found....EVER? An 1846 Large Cent in beautiful condition! I did not expect in a million years to find that coin there,and if I had based my decision to go back all those times on the number of finds I'd made,I would've never found that stunning piece of history.
Nobody wants to go out and get skunked all the time. If this is happening,change the circumstances. As Tom said,location is number one. Try to narrow down where things may be,then your chances of a good find increase dramatically. Be sure to test your machine,if I was only getting a maximum of 4" with ANY machine,I would be very unhappy. There must be more going on. The Minelab FBS machines handle nasty soil and mineralization much better than some other units. Depending on your finances,perhaps check into a used FBS unit.
No matter WHAT....the treasure hunters credo stands.....NEVER....EVER....EVER EVER EVER EVER GIVE UP!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions