Digging coins out of somone's plugs?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
The strangest experience happened at the park today. I hunt it whenever I have a couple hours and am there frequently.

I hit and recovered coins from more than a dozen brown plugs today. Everything from nickels to quarters. Some right on the side wall standing on edge, others another 1/2" deeper than the plug, and others in the grass roots.... something in every plug! Some plugs mere feet apart.

Planted, or somebody new with a toy grade machine, or?

It was surreal. I kept looking to see if someone was filming or something.

What is going on here? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DT,

Odds are a newbie that couldn't locate the targets in the plug at least he/she replaced the plugs and didn't leave them uncovered with trash outside the hole which I've come across a couple of times.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
A tector not using a handheld pinointer, or purely green at the hobby. I missed stuff before buying my first pointer.

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Maybe they dug pull tab or some other metal thing and didn't recheck the hole . just to bad for them and great for you happy hunting

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALWAYS! recheck your hole or target area.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie, or machine going up or just not good at metal detecting.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Heck ... I use a pinpointer today but back before they were common place I only had a handful of times I didn't find the target , just place handfuls of dirt over the coil . So it's not so much this person missed them because they didn't have a pinpointer but they were just plain stupid ... and you can't fix stupid .
IMHO , Woodstock

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I tend to agree with lack of pinpointer combined with a new detectorist trying to learn the ropes alone.

I had been considering I had a jewelry hunter at my park that was even more hardcore than I. Like, if it's not gold or silver it's not coming out of the ground; that kind of hardcore.

I've gotten along without a pinpointer on a few hunts. Just takes more effort, but I always recover the target...eventually.

Still, with some subsidized apartments along one side of the park, I can't shake the thought someone was playing the joker.

Strange hunt indeed.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or they didn't want to pick up pennies, nickels, dimes or quarters. Maybe they were after silver or jewelry, never know! Haven't run into that situation before.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seen it and seen it posted here before. They don't know the machine and no pinpointer. If they filled their holes, then point for them.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am going with a newbie w/o a pinpointed! I will confess a "newbie" mistake I made when I started. Got the signal, dug the plug, couldn't find the coin?!? About to replace the plug and there it was, stuck to the bottom of the plug in plane view! :dontknow::tongue3::censored:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie without a pinpointer for sure, reminds me my debut in the hobby. Check the next time, you'll know if he's a fast catcher ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
much Better then picking Scrap'nel out of someone's plugs :thumbsup:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with woodstock. I have hunted for over forty five years and never had a pinpointer until about five years ago and never left anything in the hole. Early days there was no discrimination either so we dug and took away all targets. Just somebody who hasn't a clue. I still have old hunting buddies who think pinpointers are just an unnecessary expense to their hunting. They never miss a target either.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always run your coil over the plug and the hole even after you find what you think is the target.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with woodstock. I have hunted for over forty five years and never had a pinpointer until about five years ago and never left anything in the hole. Early days there was no discrimination either so we dug and took away all targets. Just somebody who hasn't a clue. I still have old hunting buddies who think pinpointers are just an unnecessary expense to their hunting. They never miss a target either.

I have news for you...

I followed you for 40 years ... :P

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a new E-trac user! I remember my first few days of digging were horrendous. The machine was picking up the signals and i was sort of fumbling around with the pinpointing. My son kept pulling coins out of my holes behind me. One even had 5 quarters in it. Talk about frustration! I had no idea what was and was not trash.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have news for you...

I followed you for 40 years ... :P

Guess you didn't find much after our BFOs sounded off over every piece of metal and we dug and removed all targets! Dang there was a lot of cool stuff in the ground around here back then!! I've gone back to a lot of those old honey holes with modern machines and we didn't miss much with those BFOs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions