Noob with a question

My Name Is Mud

Jun 17, 2015
Erie, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for creating a new thread but I couldn't find a proper one to ask about this.
So here's my story and question, I recently purchased my 1st MD, a used NASA Tom tuned Fisher CZ3D and a new Garret Carrot. A couple weekends ago my b.i.l. and 2 nephews decided to go for a little hike in the woods so I brought my new detector and my nephew brought his detector.
We came across a rock in the trail, a little bigger than the size of a fist, that my MD hit on, my nephews did nothing, the pinpointer did nothing. I ground balanced and tried again and got good solid beeps with mine. So we tried to dig it but with the ground being dry and full of roots we only managed to get the the rock removed and only dug a few inches down. I was still getting a solid beep above the hole and my nephew and the pinpointer still got nothing. We were running out of time so we stopped and filled the hole back in and left.
Am I correct in thinking that the ground right there was heavily mineralized from the rock and since I was using the 10.5" coil, IIRC I was running at 5 on the sensitivity, I was hitting on the ground mineralization. That's the only time my MD made a sound the whole time. I'm not sure what happened but I'm sure I'll go back there and try again. Any thoughts or input would be great. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since your nephews did nothing, assuming he had batteries in, then I would think maybe you found a ghost. I do know that sometimes new batteries will help this situation. maybe someone with a better understanding of your machine will pip in.

OP
OP
My Name Is Mud

My Name Is Mud

Jun 17, 2015
Erie, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His had batteries in it, we checked to make sure they both were working before we left, found a couple nails and a 1980 penny in his front yard. I don't know what brand or how old his were, but I was using brand new out of the package energizers.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could have been heavily mineralized roots, soil, or hot rocks. I have had iron-rich tree roots give me signals in All Metal. :occasion14:

OP
OP
My Name Is Mud

My Name Is Mud

Jun 17, 2015
Erie, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. That was what I was thinking but just wanted some expert opinions because I still have no clue what I'm doing.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you removed the rock did you check it again with your detector? Did it still give you a hit from it?

If not and you were getting a hit from the hole after removing the rock after digging a few inches, it could mean you didn't dig deep enough to locate the target.

The fact that your pinpointer didn't react in the hole could mean that the target was beyond the Pinpointers range.

I do not know what kind of detector your nephew has, but the fact that it didn't react could mean anything without more info. If he is using a super basic (cheap) machine or doesn't have it set correctly (sensitivity, discrimination), that could also explain why his did not hit on whatever the target was.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did it pinpoint? Check it from multiple directions in pp/ all metal mode and listen for roundness or the rise and fall of the pinpoint.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mud, did your detector indicate the depth of the object? Most detectors give the depth of a "coin-sized" item. A large, deeper item will usually show an incorrect depth.

OP
OP
My Name Is Mud

My Name Is Mud

Jun 17, 2015
Erie, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the late reply, I work 12 hour shifts.
I didn't check the rock again after extraction and my nephews detector is a basic introductory unit. I didn't even think about using the pinpoint function, stupid me. IIRC the meter was pegged to the right in the coin/2" zone. Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it and as you can see I have a lot to learn. I will have to go back and check it out the next time I go down for a visit, luckily it's in a pretty remote place and should stay undisturbed.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it will be a cache of silver coins! Keep us posted

OP
OP
My Name Is Mud

My Name Is Mud

Jun 17, 2015
Erie, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be great, but I still think it's nothing. I gotta find out for sure though and I'll be sure to post what it turns out to be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread