Carrying a firearm while detecting

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

Upvote 0

Gravitytester

Feb 29, 2016
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine lab Excalibur I, Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry a gun. this is what happened the last time I used a metal detector in a sketchy part of town.
hummer.jpg

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you cannot carry a firearm get you a gun Taser you shoot them with has excellent knock down and decent range. Some even look like 9 mm pistols. Then get you a 1 ear piece headset so at least you can hear your surrounding and your detector. Just food for thought working with the DOT I get away with having a pistol on me :icon_thumright:

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
damn bro rough side of town, stay safe

sweetinsanty

Jan 26, 2017
Cashtown
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my wife and I really only carry when we are up in the mountains. when we are near the ccc camps or Michaux state park. you meet some interesting people on the Appalachian Trail. some walk on by.... some stop and talk and ask questions.... while others sit a watch without saying a word! yea, they are the ones I never turn my back on. its against the law to brandish a gun, but I have already taken my sweat shirt off over my head so the grip of my Glock can be seen sticking out of my concealed holster. the guy gathered his things and moved on. when in our mountains we always stay with in eye sight of each other.

356rmb

Jan 16, 2017
NEPA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT/MAX, APEX, ACE 350 WITH A DD COIL,TEKNETICS DELTA 4000,
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANY TIME I LEAVE MY HOME I'AM ALWAYS ARMED.I HAVE MY 380 AT MY FINGER TIPS AT ALL TIMES. YOU CAN OPEN CARRY IN PA BUT IT BRINGS SO MUCH ATTENTION TO YOU. IF YOU CAN GET YOUR LICENSE TO CC IT BETTER JUST TO DO IT THAT WAY $20.00, A BACK ROUND CHECK, YOUR DRIVER LICENSE AND THAT IT. TAKES ABOUT 15 MIN AT THE SHERIFFS OFFICE. MY LICENSE IS GOOD FOR 5 YEARS. IT SUCKS IT HAS TO BE LIKE THIS BUT THE WORLD WE LIVE IN TODAY I WOULD RATHER BE A SURVIVOR THEN A VICTIM.

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry concealed. I may be wrong but I don't want to cause good people to feel uneasy around me (and some will) and I always thought that if I have to face down some bad hombres I don't want to show my hand. It may deter some but cause others to make better plans.

Sengoku

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2015
JAPAN
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry bear spray because we have bears. The boars run away first, hardly ever see them, they're smart. The deer, well sometimes they scare the heck out of you because you get right on top of them and they whistle , like a yelp , really loud.
This time of year I worry about the hunters more than anything and make a lot of noise in the bush. Only hunters can carry shotguns and rifles. The ticks are the biggest danger.

Traildust69

Feb 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking about just carrying the belt holster with pepper spray in it to cut down on weight. Holster still visible through shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Advice on Bear Spray:

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking.

The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them.

This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered.

Spraying the pepper into the bear's face will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area.

People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur.

Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread