Carrying a firearm while detecting

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

Upvote 0

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Quote deleted for rule violation)

Speaking of reciprocity, there are about 22 states who recognize a California issued CCW as being valid in their state. How many states does California have reciprocity with for CCWs issued elsewhere? ZERO. If you have a CCW issued in another state, you can't (legally) carry here. I just don't understand the mentality of the extreme liberal lawmakers here on the west coast.

I love your thinking!!!

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my life time of travels i have been beat up, cut up, and shot up. and still carrying lead in my body. and was never a criminal . i have always been able to defend myself but we all get older.and the way times are getting, believe me im going to be packing.

I am sorry for what you have had to endure. Hat tip to you and keep on hunting!!!!

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Self Defense? BaHaHaHaHa Dam Rattlers they can run fast. I agree with your post but I smiled about the self defense. Don't get mad.
Toolman Butch
I have used a handgun in defense against rattlesnakes on various occasions (anyone who says they don't get aggressive & attack is a moron) & once against a pair of mountain lions. I always carry when we have to go to towns or cities. Around here most men, women & a lot of kids above the age of 10 carry almost everywhere & know when & how to shoot. Crime is almost non-existent... any doubt there's a connection?

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time I've got a sw 642 38p or my g19 on me. Concealed. Though I hunt in areas with bobcats, coyotes, black bear, feral dogs, as well as those in less desirable areas of town...

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(Quote deleted for rule violation)

Speaking of reciprocity, there are about 22 states who recognize a California issued CCW as being valid in their state. How many states does California have reciprocity with for CCWs issued elsewhere? ZERO. If you have a CCW issued in another state, you can't (legally) carry here. I just don't understand the mentality of the extreme liberal lawmakers here on the west coast.

Because they're Whack-a-doodles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckRogers2000

Aug 24, 2016
Logan, Utah
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I usually carry. I work on a ski/RV resort in the Northern Utah mountains. It takes law enforcement about 45 minutes to reach us.

While I'm MDing, I have a couple of ballistic solutions available. I've had my CCW for about 7 years now. I've never had to draw.

From what I've read, the vast majority of defensive gun uses don't involve discharging the firearm.

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a small 9mm in my pocket or on my ankle when I'm detecting. Situational awareness is key. I keep my headphones around my neck rather than on my ears -- I'd rather miss a tone than someone trying to rob me.

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a small 9mm in my pocket or on my ankle when I'm detecting. Situational awareness is key. I keep my headphones around my neck rather than on my ears -- I'd rather miss a tone than someone trying to rob me.

I tend to wear one earphone intact and push the other above my ear so I have "awareness" around me as well. I would love to hunt with someone rather than solo, but that isn't always an option.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since my original post was deleted due to getting around profanity by using symbols, I will attempt to tell my story again without violating the forum rules (sorry about that, my apologies).

So my family was visiting relatives in Louisiana and we decided to visit New Orleans and get Beignets at Cafe DuMonde then visit the WWII museum. I had my wife, three kids and my father-in-law with me. After parking the car, two gentlemen of questionable character approached me and asked for money. I responded with "I have nothing for you". They then proceeded to direct me to an ATM where I could withdraw some money and give it to them. I immediately replied along the lines of "are you out of your mind?, I'm not going to go to an ATM to give you money" ...followed by something similar to "you better get on your way out of here". The two gentlemen of questionable character then aggressively approached my father-in-law and looked like they were about to attack him and punch him in the face. I responded along the lines of "you better back off friend". After that one of them approached me and started reaching his hand behind his waist. I responded along the lines of "you better keep your hands where I can see them". Simultaneously, my right hand swept toward my gun and he stopped in his tracks. Noticing this, his gentlemen friend of questionable character advised him that they better leave. Thankfully the incident ended there. I was a gnats hair from drawing down on him, and if he had continued to approach or kept sweeping his hand behind his back, he would have gone to sleep permanently.

The moral of the story is bad things can happen in the best of places and the worst of places. That is a fact of the real world we live in. Sure chances are nothing would happen, but on this day I had actually contemplated not carrying my weapon even though LA and my state have reciprocity. Had I not been carrying this situation could have been a disaster. If anything were to happen to my kids because I was too lazy to carry that day, I could never live with myself.

Unless you can predict the future it is always better to be prepared. It has nothing to do with being paranoid and it has nothing to do with what part of town you are in. I choose not to leave the safety of my family to chance or the devices of other people.

c6b9afd7fa647a8aa84d8d5d38570e46.jpg

Last edited:

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
Self Defense? BaHaHaHaHa Dam Rattlers they can run fast. I agree with your post but I smiled about the self defense. Don't get mad.
Toolman Butch

Actually in the rocks & mountains here a rattler can move a lot faster than a man, so can a mountain lion. However, if I ever seek advice on self defense here in AZ it won't be from someone in NY.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry every where, always. I get a kick out of people that say ccw holders live in fear, he'll I'm not afraid of anything in this world. I have lived an interesting life and it will not end because I don't have a weapon or enough ammunition. The only wild life I encounter are the bipedal humanoid type and you just never know what they will do, they are crazy!

usatc

Nov 28, 2008
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm in the stix of MS. I've never had any reason to be personally afraid but I've always carried my sig mosquito with CCI hollows and an extra mag. I figure I don't need a hand cannon and don't expect to unleash hellfire with a .45 so its small & compact and suits me. Going to get my enhanced concealed in the next month or two and may upgrade to a slightly bigger sig. It's nice to have, I'm usually out of phone reception in the middle of nowhere, and since I roll with close to 3 grand in gear (CTX and larger coil) it's a smart overall decision for whatever I may come across and need protection.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to carry something that large chambered in .22LR, I suggest minimizing your footprint with all that gear you are carrying. Take a look at the M&P Shield or GLOCK 42 or 43. They can all be carried comfortably inside the waistband (IWB), or outside the waistband (OWB). The shield can be purchased in 9mm, .40, or .45. The GLOCK 42 is chambered in .380, and the 43 is 9mm.

Chipperi

Greenie
Aug 4, 2016
Piney Flats, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in TN and with a permit you can carry open or concealed. I usually carry my Colt Defender concealed so I don't draw undue attention. I just can't carry when I am hunting local schools....that's a felony.

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOu should try earbuds. I converted my AT Pro with the cable that allows a 1/4" connector, then I tossed in a downsizer, and a 3' volume control, then put on my apple earbuds. Works so amazingly well. No more weird tan lines, no big old headset, and I can hear EVERYTHING in between beeps. People "think" I'm listening to music, and most of the time, I'm listening to them talking about me. LOL

Total cost of the conversion was about $40. $37 for the AT Pro cable, and $3 for the volume control and downsizer (I bought cheap on e-bay... I even got SPARES for the $3.).

I'll go back to the headset in winter, when it gets cold again, and I wear a wool hat, but until then, it's earbuds!

Skippy

Any way to convert to the wireless earbuds? I love the idea of what you have explained but the earbud chord is short as heck! I can't use earbuds and put my phone in my pocket let alone set my detector down?🤔

Trapper340

Aug 21, 2016
Lebanon missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a card holder for about 4 years now and my RugerSR40 cal.goes where I go. I just can't take a chance with all this crazy stuff that goes on now days. I'm not a big man and my dad always said that if your out numbered or they have a weapon you get yourself an equalizer.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my M&P Shield 9mm. Never leave home without it. Had my cc permit since 1968. Rabies is a big threat here in central N.Y. and if I'm in the middle of a 10 acre field and here comes a rabid animal, I can guarantee you I will not make it back to my truck before it gets me. Also carry when visiting local cities as there are some rough areas there and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm old. Either that or the kids are getting younger, so I want to be able to protect my wife and I from all the stuff going on in this crazy world.

Ima digger

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I carry almost everywhere, except the buildings where it's illegal. I detect in remote areas, and am always armed, so that's a given. I don't use earphones, because I always want to know whats going on around me. That's a big part of my enjoyment of being out there. I want to know someone is around, before they know I am around. I won't list the reasons for carrying, I have the right, and choose to do so. Believe me, I have never been sorry that I carry. and have been glad I was prepared. Here in TN, if you are in the B&W (bushes and woods), anyone you encounter will be armed. You don't want to be a woman, in a remote area, at the disadvantage of being the only one not armed. Keep on keeping on, Ima

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a CCW but only carry in the woods .. I never feel the need to carry any other time ..Now i see a lot of road rage with ones pulling out there weapons out and even shooting them in the news as of late .. I knew that this would happen eventually. But like everything there is a GOOD and BAD side to it ... Most of my family and friends do not even know i have any thing except a 22 rifle..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions