Carrying a firearm while detecting

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

Upvote 0

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
I drop one ear to the wind also, and look
around a lot too. Carry when I think truly
necessary, but not always, or everywhere.
Always in the valley of the shadow of death,
which is a real physical place, not figurative.

This world, and some people in our country,
are more treacherous now, than I ever seen.
The old timers in the 70's said... "It's getting
bad"... Kinda glad they don't have to see some
of this insanity now. Culture? How about would
be nice, if more had a good moral conscience...

Take care!

cjweber

Sep 26, 2016
Missouri (for now)
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, and that damned old Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was thinking about this very topic on Friday night... I am an avid 2A supporter and I carry my gun both concealed and open on a regular basis depending on the situation... except when I am going to and from work on a military installation... well, I was hunting on post on Friday and supposedly there have been bear sightings on post lately... well I heard a noise and of course that got me to thinking about bears... On post it won't help me because I can't carry, but it is something I will be thinking about the next time I am deep in the woods somewhere... So I agree with most everyone else... woods - definitely; beach, school, fed gov areas - we are out of luck, or there is little need for it... until the sharks start growing legs and walking up on the beach to get me!

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was thinking about this very topic on Friday night... I am an avid 2A supporter and I carry my gun both concealed and open on a regular basis depending on the situation... except when I am going to and from work on a military installation... well, I was hunting on post on Friday and supposedly there have been bear sightings on post lately... well I heard a noise and of course that got me to thinking about bears... On post it won't help me because I can't carry, but it is something I will be thinking about the next time I am deep in the woods somewhere... So I agree with most everyone else... woods - definitely; beach, school, fed gov areas - we are out of luck, or there is little need for it... until the sharks start growing legs and walking up on the beach to get me!
Can you carry pepper spray??

shadeogray

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2016
Gulf Breeze, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry all the time where legal. Thanks to our loose immigration and issues now arising from that I would and do carry on the beach or any place else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember this is not the politics forum, please keep political statements out of posts..

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
gun-control.jpg

duxsrus

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2016
OH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
99% of the time, I'm carrying, regardless of what I'm doing be it work or play. Nobody is invincible from the reckless society we live in nowadays.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Don't carry a gun. I carry Kleenex. Never know when you have to blow your nose or clean you glasses. Not sure what I would do if I was being robed. My guess is , I would let them take the Kleenex. Not worth risking your life for it. And I don't think I would be ok with killing someone over it.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not everyone should carry that is for sure. If you know you don't have the ability to react under stress you are carrying around dead weight IMO, But to say it would just be used against you and Assuming that would be everyone would be extremely foolish. I would much rather have a fighting chance then the unarmed citizens that gets gunned down on a regular basis(even after they comply). Too each their own.

Riggleman

Mar 7, 2016
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a police officer i always carry, even detecting. Not that i honestly feel threatened its just the way i am. Its unnatural for me to not carry. On the other hand the alot of people i see carry have no business. Untrained, inexperienced, ill equipped. It is something that may have landowners feel uneasy. When i see someone with a HiPoint in a $10 nylon snap closure holster walking around with their weapon uncovered hanging off their a** it makes me want to bang my head on a wall. If you are gonna carry train, practice, research, spend the $ on a reliable weapon and holster/retention. Not calling anyone out, just my 2c.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a police officer i always carry, even detecting. Not that i honestly feel threatened its just the way i am. Its unnatural for me to not carry. On the other hand the alot of people i see carry have no business. Untrained, inexperienced, ill equipped. It is something that may have landowners feel uneasy. When i see someone with a HiPoint in a $10 nylon snap closure holster walking around with their weapon uncovered hanging off their a** it makes me want to bang my head on a wall. If you are gonna carry train, practice, research, spend the $ on a reliable weapon and holster/retention. Not calling anyone out, just my 2c.

Very well said. Over the past 17 years there have been only a few times that I haven't left the house without being armed. And thanks to H.R. 218 it doesn't matter where I travel, I can always have my firearm. Like you, it's not because I feel threatened, it's just an unusual feeling to not be armed. I think the only time I don't carry is the few times a year when I head to Vegas. My blood alcohol level wouldn't allow it!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry, not out of fear either. It is my right and it is insurance just like life, health, car or home insurance. You buy insurance in hopes you never need it but prepared just in case, it is the same when you carry.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I always carry, not out of fear either. It is my right and it is insurance just like life, health, car or home insurance. You buy insurance in hopes you never need it but prepared just in case, it is the same when you carry.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Everyone has the right to carry any item that is legal. If you carry things just in case, you could wined up carrying a very heavy load. People carry because of a perceived threat and a concern for their personal safety. I say perceived because two people can be living next to each other's, traveling the same roads and encountering the same people. One will will feel perfectly safe the other will carry a gun...just incase. So is it safe or dangerous out there? It depend on which of the two neighbors you ask. Keep in mind there are conditions and areas that it is understood that are not safe. I also believe that some people carry guns because of the power it imparts. You are instantly stronger. You have to admit, some do carry for that reason even though they may say otherwise. Not anyone here of course. Stay safe and carry on. Also I support the second amendment.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to see these Legal CCW holders shooting folks with Road rage?????????????? I think the national Statistics of CCW permit holders commiting crimes is almost not measureable. SO hopefully that was not what you were insinuating.
While Jackalope here is another one just this week .... And he was a CCW holder ..... DSCN0913.JPG

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While Jackie here is another one just this week .... And he was a CCW holder ..... View attachment 1367434

Yes I saw the "one" that happened after all of your false claims, I even thought about how that is the first one I have seen and how it was perfect timing for this thread, lol, but even then it was quoted as being a "legal gun owner" in the story I read, not a ccw. But let's see all of the ones you were quoting. Please post up all of those that you have saying happened. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.. but that same clock is not considered a accurate clock, or even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while. So again post up all your claims.

You can go look up FBI statistics. They are public..

Last edited:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, my husband and I carry if we will be deep in the woods where dangerous animals may be present. My firearm would probably just piss off a bear, but my husband's would do damage. If we do run into a bear, for example, that appears to not be afraid of us, then hopefully just firing off into the sky will do the trick. If not, that's going to be an "oh $hit" moment. Otherwise, we are not close to high crime areas, so that is the only time we feel it is necessary to carry.
Regarding the OP's comment about having on your headphones while detecting so that one may not hear danger approaching, we just keep the headphone on one ear and slide forward of the other ear, plus we have our dog with us for an alarm system.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, my husband and I carry if we will be deep in the woods where dangerous animals may be present. My firearm would probably just piss off a bear, but my husband's would do damage. If we do run into a bear, for example, that appears to not be afraid of us, then hopefully just firing off into the sky will do the trick. If not, that's going to be an "oh $hit" moment. Otherwise, we are not close to high crime areas, so that is the only time we feel it is necessary to carry.
Regarding the OP's comment about having on your headphones while detecting so that one may not hear danger approaching, we just keep the headphone on one ear and slide forward of the other ear, plus we have our dog with us for an alarm system.

Be careful on the "firing into the sky" comment. You have to know where your bullet is going..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No i do not save all the news papers or do i tape the news shows... But if one gets in to fights and has a temper they are likely to have a violent personally and those kind of people do not impress me . And like you i do not believe every thing the government puts out to us.... DSCN0911.JPG

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say flat out, You are full of it. If you want to falsely claim folks are getting mad and quoting all these false claims you have a responsibility to back it up period. The fact of the matter is you can not and are just here to push your agenda. We have proof to everything that has been said about CCW holders being about being the "by far" least likely group to commit crime. No one can argue that, no one period. If they could you could post up facts and you can not. .

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I will say flat out, You are full of it. If you want to falsely claim folks are getting mad and quoting all these false claims you have a responsibility to back it up period. The fact of the matter is you can not and are just here to push your agenda. We have proof to everything that has been said about CCW holders being about being the "by far" least likely group to commit crime. No one can argue that, no one period. If they could you could post up facts and you can not. .
I am done with you for you are one of those hot heads that thinks you are always right. Even when wrong..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread