Carrying a firearm while detecting

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

Upvote 0

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, again show everyone here where I have been a hot head, this is typical of someone who has no proof to what they claim and don't like someone asking for them to back their statements , just call them names, that will fix your lies..lol. For you it is one false statement after another. That is all you have. I for one hope you are done making false claims and calling people hot heads because they do not believe a word you say. But again feel free to quote any posts here where I have been a hot head, then proceed to back up all these horrible ccw villain claims as well :D

Here is other similar name calling scenerio, someone's does not like their tax dollars spent on illegal immigrants who put nothing into the system. Does this have anything to do with race? Absolutely not. But what are they called? Racists... why is that? Oh could it be they have a valid point but it goes against the name callers agenda? You betcha

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Well actually you can get a gun and carry it around legally without any type of mental evaluation. A good number of people with no criminal or documented mental illness are turned down by police departments for being unfit. How much of that is geared towards their psychological capacity for being armed is unknown by myself. But I'm sure some get turned down for that reason based on the test.
So you will always have some who own guns and shouldn't. You can read about then in the news. Nothing is predict.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well actually you can get a gun and carry it around legally without any type of mental evaluation. A good number of people with no criminal or documented mental illness are turned down by police departments are turned down for being unfit.

Yes another example of how ccw's permit holders are generally scrutinized to a greater level then the average gun owner.

With that being said, statistically speaking the average "law abiding" gun owner is not the source of crime. It does not matter what group of people you are lumped into. Eventually with over 300 million people in the USA there will be that one person who screws up of course, but at this point it is a numbers game. The liberal media picks up on the .00004 % and blasts it into everyone's homes how guns are evil and gun owners are horrible and blatetntly avoid telling the truth. Then people who have no ability to think for them selves believe the sky is falling and gun owners and guns are bad not taking the time to investigate the truth.

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Riiggledman, I was in the Border Patrol, and narcotic invdstigation and now, have many years exploring unexplored country here in Old Mexico, looking for lost Jesuit mines.I do not feel comfortable without my S/W mod 28 .357 now, It kept me in food and secure but there were some hairy moments with bandidos, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would not be here if I hadn't been carrying it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am done with you for you are one of those hot heads that thinks you are always right. Even when wrong..

Keppy, there is not a word in that road rage incident report about either one having a conceal carry permit..... The most common weapon used in road rage is a vehicle, not a firearm. Conceal carry permit owners have the lowest incidence of illegally use of a fire arm.

Consider the two large states at the front of the current debate, Florida and
Texas: Both states provide easy web access to detailed records of permit holders.

During over two decades, from October 1, 1987 to May 31, 2014, Florida has issued permits to more than 2.64 million people, with the average person holding
a permit for more than a decade.3 Few -- 168 (about 0.006%) -- have had their
permits revoked for any type of firearms related violation, the most common being accidentally carrying a concealed handgun into a gun-free zone such as a
school or an airport, not threats or acts of violence. It is an annual rate of 0.0002
percent.

The already low revocation rate has been declining over time. Over the last 77 months from January 2008 through May 2014, just 4 permits have been revoked
for firearms-related violations. With an average of about 875,000 active permit
holders per year during those years, the annual revocation rate for firearms
related violations is 0.00007 percent – 7 one hundred thousandths of one
percentage point.

For all revocations, the annual rate in Florida is 0.012 percent.
The numbers are similarly low in Texas. In 2012, the latest year that crime data
are available, there were 584,850 active license holders.4 Out of these, 120 were convicted of either a misdemeanor or a felony, a rate of 0.021 percent, with only
a few of these crimes involving a gun.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunfacts.info Gun Facts | Gun Control Facts Concerning Concealed Carry

CCW map 2016-07-01
Myth: Concealed carry doesn’t prevent crimes

Fact: News reports tell many stories of armed civilians preventing mass murder in public. A few selected at random include:

A citizen with a gun stopped a knife-wielding man as he began stabbing people in a Salt Lake City store.
Two men retrieved firearms from their cars and stopped a mass murder at the Appalachian School of Law.
Citizen takes out shooter while police were pinned down in Early, Texas.
Citizen stops apartment shoot-up in Oklahoma City.

Myth: Concealed carry laws increase crime

CONCEALED CARRY - Concealed Carry Expansion and Violent Crime RatesFact: Forty three states, comprising the majority of the American population, are “right-to-carry” states – thirty six are “shall issue” states where anyone without a criminal record will be issued a permit, and seven states require no permit. In 1988 there were only 10 “right-to-carry”. Statistics show that in these states the crime rate fell (or did not rise) after the right-to-carry law became active (as of July, 2006). Seven states are “may issue” states where it is nearly impossible to obtain a CCW permit.

Fact: Gun homicides were 10% higher in states with restrictive CCW laws, according to a study spanning 1980-2009 1

Fact: Crime rates involving gun owners with carry licenses have consistently been about 0.02% of all carry permit holders since Florida’s right-to-carry law started in 1988. 2

Fact: After passing their concealed carry law, Florida’s homicide rate fell from 36% above the national average to 4% below, 3.

Fact: In Texas, murder rates fell 50% faster than the national average in the year after their concealed carry law passed. Rape rates fell 93% faster in the first year after enactment, and 500% faster in the second. 4 Assaults fell 250% faster in the second year. 5

Fact: More to the point, crime is significantly higher in states without right-to-carry laws. 6
Type of Crime % Higher in
Restrictive States
Robbery 105%
Murder 86%
Assault 82%
Violent Crime 81%
Auto Theft 60%
Rape 25%

Fact: States that disallow concealed carry have violent crime rates 11% higher than national averages. 7

Fact: Deaths and injuries from mass public shootings fall dramatically after right-to-carry concealed handgun laws are enacted. Between 1977 and 1995, 8 the average death rate from mass shootings plummeted by up to 91% after such laws went into effect, and injuries dropped by over 80%. 9
Myth: Concealed carry permit holders shoot police

Fact: The Violence Police Center started listing instances of CCW holders shooting police. 10 From May 2007 through November 2009 (2.5 years) they recorded nine police deaths, three in one mass killing by a white supremacist using an AK-47 rifle. Of the nine, five had yet to be tried or convicted as of the date of their report.
Myth: People with concealed weapons licenses will commit crimes
State 11 Licenses issued Revoked licenses % Revoked Violent Crime Rate Change 12
Florida 1,327,321 13 4,129 0.3% -30.5%
Virginia 50,000 14 0 0.0% -21.9%
Arizona 63,000 15 50 0.9% -28.7%
North Carolina 59,597 16 1,274 1.2% -26.4%
Minnesota 46,636 17
12 0.03% 8.0% 18
Michigan 155,000 19 2,178 0.1% 1.4%

Fact: The results for the first 30 states that passed “shall-issue” laws for concealed carry licenses are similar.

Fact: In Texas, citizens with concealed carry licenses are 14 times less likely to commit a crime. They are also five times less likely to commit a violent crime. 20

Fact: People with concealed carry licenses are: 21

5.7 times less likely to be arrested for violent offenses than the general public
13.5 times less likely to be arrested for non-violent offenses than the general public

Fact: Even gun control organizations agree it is a non-problem, as in Texas “because there haven’t been Wild West shootouts in the streets”. 22

Fact: Of 14,000 CCW licensees in Oregon, only 4 (0.03%) were convicted of the criminal (not necessarily violent) use or possession of a firearm.

Fact: “I’m detecting that I’m eating a lot of crow on this issue … I think that says something, that we’ve gotten to this point in the year and in the third largest city in America there has not been a single charge against anyone that had anything to do with a concealed handgun.” 23

Fact: In Florida, a state that has allowed concealed carry since late 1987, you are twice as likely to be attacked by an alligator as by a person with a concealed carry permit. 24
Myth: 460 people have been killed by CCW permit holders

Fact: The “study” by gun control group Violence Policy Center covers a six year span, meaning that at worst there is an average of 76 shootings of all types per year, including justifiable homicides.

Fact: As of 2001, there are over 11,000,000 CCW holders, meaning the worst case kill rate (justifiable or not) is 0.004% of all CCW holders.
Myth: Concealed guns in bars will cause violence

Fact: In Virginia, in the first year where CCW holders were allowed to, the number of major crimes involving firearms at bars and restaurants statewide declined 5.2% The crimes that occurred during the law’s first year were relatively minor. 25
Myth: Texas CCW holders are arrested 66% more often

CONCEALED CARRY - Concealed Carry Licensee Crime Rates vs General PopulationFact: Most arrests cited are not any form of violent crime (includes bounced checks or tax delinquency). 26

Fact: The Violence Policy Center “study” only includes arrests, not convictions.

Fact: Many of these arrests in this premature VPC “study” came in the early years of Texas CCWs when the law was not understood by most of the law enforcement community or prosecutors.

Fact: Compared to the entire population, Texas CCW holders are about 7.6 times less likely to be arrested for a violent crime. 27 The numbers breakdown as follows:

214,000 CCW holders 28
526 (0.2%) felony arrests of CCW holders that have been adjudicated
100 (0.05%) felony convictions

Fact: A different study concludes that the four year violent crime arrest rate for CCW holders is 128 per 100,000. For the general population, it is 710 per 100,000. In other words, CCW holders are 5.5 times less likely to commit a violent crime. 29

Fact: “I lobbied against the law in 1993 and 1995 because I thought it would lead to wholesale armed conflict. That hasn’t happened. All the horror stories I thought would come to pass didn’t happen. No bogeyman. I think it’s worked out well, and that says good things about the citizens who have permits. I’m a convert.” 30

Fact: “It has impressed me how remarkably responsible the permit holders have been.” 31
Myth: CCWs will lead to mass public shootings

CONCEALED CARRY - Concealed Carry vs Multiple Victim Mass Public ShootingsFact: Multiple victim public shootings drop in states that pass shall-issue CCW legislation. 32

Fact: CCW holders have prevented or curtailed mass public shootings – Pearl, Mississippi (Pearl Junior High School), Edinboro, Pennsylvania (Parker Middle School), Winnemucca, Nevada (Players Bar and Grill), Colorado Springs, Colorado (New Life Church).

Fact: Of all the alternatives to preventing mass public shootings, police officers believe that civilian concealed carry is the most effective. 86% also believe mass shooting “casualties would likely have been reduced” or “avoided altogether.” 33
Myth: People do not need concealable weapons

Fact: In 80% of gun defenses, the defender used a concealable handgun. A quarter of the gun defenses occurred in places away from the defender’s home. 34

Fact: 77% of all violent crime occurs in public places. 35 This makes concealed carry necessary for almost all self-defense needs. But due to onerous laws forbidding concealed carry, only 26.8% of defensive gun uses occurred away from home. 36

Fact: Often, small weapons that are capable of being concealed are the only ones usable by people of small stature or with physical disabilities.

Fact: The average citizen doesn’t need a Sport Utility Vehicle, but driving one is arguably safer than driving other vehicles. Similarly, carrying a concealable gun makes the owner — and his or her community — safer by providing protection not otherwise available.

Fact: 56% of Americans say more concealed weapons would make country safer. 37 Millions of Americans have concealed carry permits, and this doesn’t include people who carry in states that do not require permits.
Myth: Police and prosecutors are against concealed carrying by citizens

Fact: In a survey of 15,000 officers, 91% said concealed carry should be permitted citizens “without question and without further restrictions.” 38

Fact: 66% of police chiefs believe that citizens carrying concealed firearms reduce rates of violent crime. 39

Fact: “All the horror stories I thought would come to pass didn’t happen …I think it’s worked out well, and that says good things about the citizens who have permits. I’m a convert.” 40

Fact: “I … [felt] that such legislation present[ed] a clear and present danger to law-abiding citizens by placing more handguns on our streets. Boy was I wrong. Our experience in Harris County, and indeed statewide, has proven my fears absolutely groundless.” 41

Fact: “Virginia has not turned into Dodge City. We have not seen a problem.” 42

Fact: “The concerns I had – with more guns on the street, folks may be more apt to square off against one another with weapons – we haven’t experienced that.” 43

Fact: “… to the best of my knowledge, we have not had an issue. I had expected there would be a lot more problems … But it has actually worked out.” 44

Fact: “Coming from California [where he was on the Los Angeles police force for 28 years], where it takes an act of Congress to get a concealed weapon permit, I got to Maine, where they give out lots of carrying concealed weapon permits, and I had a stack of CCW permits I was denying; that was my orientation. I changed my orientation real quick. Maine is one of the safest places in America. Clearly, suspects knew that good Americans were armed.” 45

Fact: Explain this to the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, Second Amendment Police Department, and Law Enforcement for the Preservation of the Second Amendment, all of whom support shall-issue concealed carry laws.

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/concealed-carry/

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
But .. TH .. I never said there was any thing wrong with having a CCW i think if you qualify and meet all the criteria you should have one ..

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Riiggledman, I was in the Border Patrol, and narcotic invdstigation and now, have many years exploring unexplored country here in Old Mexico, looking for lost Jesuit mines.I do not feel comfortable without my S/W mod 28 .357 now, It kept me in food and secure but there were some hairy moments with bandidos, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would not be here if I hadn't been carrying it.

That wouldn't happen to be the S & W Model 28 Hwy. Patrolman?? If it is, I owned one. That was one sweet shootin' pistol. I was layed off one winter at the mill and had to sell it....sure wish I hadn't...

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Handgunlaw.us. click your way through the states of importance to you and read the limitations, etc. Eye opener..........

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

Handgunlaw.us. click your way through the states of importance to you and read the limitations, etc. Eye opener..........

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually carry but that being said when I'm detecting a always have my shovel digger which is very intimidating you know the one. I have never felt threaten but always feel safe enough to keep doing what i'm doing. I always use common sense and try not to put myself in position where there is not an out or there is a perceived danger. Even though I'm out doing this for fun and enjoyment I rarely let my guard down but that applies to everything I do. I guess you could say I'm an engaged citizen.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm right there with you. I metal detect in the Whallons where the oldest neighborhoods are the worst neighborhoods to be in. Of talk myself in to going but my commonsense won't allow me to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I'm right there with you. I metal detect in the Whallons where the oldest neighborhoods are the worst neighborhoods to be in. Of talk myself in to going but my commonsense won't allow me to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudos to common sense. Armed or unarmed, hard to stay out of trouble without it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the S&W Highway Patrolman and found it to be a fantastic firearm. The other day, my wife suggested that I go to the range and try out the two pistols that I purchased several years ago but hadn't shot yet. Smart.
What I found was, I really loved the buttery smooth handling of the Beretta PX4 as opposed to my Ruger LCR+P.
I could group the shots really well with the Storm but the .38 was harder to shoot.
Practice safe gun handling!

Riggleman

Mar 7, 2016
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My digging load out. I know the 380s not much but if it doesn't get the job done I've got my 31" T-handle.

Attachments

• 1481740506075.jpg
    1481740506075.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 1481740522832.jpg
    1481740522832.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 1481740536726.jpg
    1481740536726.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 73

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you so scared of?

Neither man nor beast . . . thanks to the 2nd Amendment. ;-)

I keep a snow shovel in my car this time of year but it's not because I'm afraid of snow. I live in "the sticks" and I may need to dig myself out of a ditch or drift before help arrives. And if I am prepared help won't be needed. Same reason I carry a pistol. When seconds matter the police are only 20 minutes away.

I carry when detecting because I don't see a reason to avoid carrying then - except school yards. Which I don't much detect, anyhow.

DSCN1725_zpsl6wdv3sk.jpg

cb46c4b2-4dbb-480b-844a-c0c197b100f3_zps6jbaiy9o.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1725_zpsl6wdv3sk.jpg
    DSCN1725_zpsl6wdv3sk.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have updated my open carry preference. Two Ruger Super Blackhawks! (.44 mag)
'cause you never know when cannons are needed...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread