First 'Non-Presidential' Silver Coin & a Question

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at an old home site in the woods... no foundation or cellar hole other than a couple of corner stones. It might have been a simple cabin. What tipped me off that it was a site at all was some nails, old iron whatsits and, of course, flat buttons. Later, I found a few coppers... a KG III and some Coronet LC's. Also, there were some crotal bells, early tools, horse and ox shoes, etc. Then, I found this:
DSCN0931.JPG
DSCN0932.JPG
It was all by itself a dozen yards from the home site and only three inches down... it really sang! I found a Washington quarter and Roosevelt dime with the Ace 250 a while ago, but it is officially my first silver coin with the AT Pro. WooHoo! So, the question: Does anyone know what the stamp on the obverse is?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooh, that's a toughy... can you take a pencil rubbing of the obverse on a piece of paper and make out the details any better (overlay with thin paper and take the side of the pencil and lightly rub quickly to catch relief...)
I'll try that, but I think the detail doesn't go far beyond what you can see... it's rubbed out a bit, as is the rest of the obverse. I've studied it with a loupe and it actually looks flatter when magnified. What I can say is that it seems to be stamped upside-down in relation to the coin... that's just a guess, though.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest: