A Strange Kind of BEER....

Rob.IV

Jan 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure we have all heard of Root Beer. When googled, one finds the biggest variety ever to be displayed. The different kinds are quite overwhelming. Many I have heard of, and quite a few I haven't heard of. But when detecting in an old park this evening, and the name Welch's appeared, I was really astonished. I never would've thought that my "breakfast" drink would've ever had a part in making Root Beer.

The great year of 1978!!! The year that I was born in!!! Maybe…just maybe, Welch's leaped at the chance to fulfill my mother's pregnancy craving to mix juice and root beer together..?? It's as explainable as all the other cravings, (such as pickles and ice cream), and whatever else that strangely happens to mothers-to-be.

Anyways... If anyone knows or has any info about this type of Soda, plz feel free to chime in. The following pic of the whole can is all I could find on the net. Just a pic with no info. The other pic is the twist-top I found that started this madness... I love metal detecting!!!!!! Lol...

56a5deaf3a0a43f21741bce599cce661.jpg

6ac6b18a9def2a7a595664b313ca4fc3.jpg

6485128085b9ad8db0058e7d1b7674ef.jpg

Upvote 0

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 70's and 80's, a friend of mine's father worked for Welch's in Westfield, NY. I used to go to the Welch's family picnics with them, which were usually held at Waldameer Park just outside of Erie, PA. One thing I remember is that they had barrels full of ice and Welch's soda and there were all kinds of flavors, not just the grape soda that everyone knew about. Since root beer is my favorite, I had many cans of it at those picnics. The funny thing was that I could never find any of those flavors in the stores, even in Chautauqua county, which is where Welch's was headquartered at the time.

Scott

OP
OP
Rob.IV

Rob.IV

Jan 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 70's and 80's, a friend of mine's father worked for Welch's in Westfield, NY. I used to go to the Welch's family picnics with them, which were usually held at Waldameer Park just outside of Erie, PA. One thing I remember is that they had barrels full of ice and Welch's soda and there were all kinds of flavors, not just the grape soda that everyone knew about. Since root beer is my favorite, I had many cans of it at those picnics. The funny thing was that I could never find any of those flavors in the stores, even in Chautauqua county, which is where Welch's was headquartered at the time.

Scott

Wow.. That's really cool. Wish they still made them cause I'd like to try one.

Thanks for the input...

Bloodiest Pirate of the Pull-Tabs...!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread