recommend a set of headphones/ how well do they help?

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not wanting to get caught up on the other thread here on animal free headphones. I am leaning toward the Grey Ghost but there are so many models and also not knowing who has the best price on the net. I have the stock headphones for the ATP. Are they good enough? I am sure headphones does make a difference on hearing some sounds you would miss without them. ..Is that correct? I want to keep headphones around $100 + or minis a few $

The adapter that is sold separately for the ATP would I be better off buying one of those & getting a set of earbuds........AND anyone that has an adapter tor the ATP or a set of headphones they want to sell/ shoot me a PM. Would prefer to buy used/love to save money :-)

I will not swim underwater with them. Headphones will be 95% on land and the 5 % I will only be in 2 to 3 feet of water. Recommend a link on where to buy for the best price.

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you are well buddy.

I actually prefer headphones with extra animal parts in them! The high tone on my machine sounds like pig squeal. Umm... pork...

I got the adapter and ran ear buds... you have to have inline volume adjustment on the ear buds. They allow better situational awareness, and you can hear the pinpointer. I thought that the stock ATP phone were OK, just too hot for me, and I had to move one cuff off my ear to hear the pinpointer. I know a lot of people love the headphones, but I prefer something lighter.

I would NEVER hunt with the speaker on the machine. You WILL miss 80% of the good targets. At first I didn't believe this, but it is true.

All of the products have some variation in sound... more tinny, or brassy or whatever. Just like stereo speakers. All of the brand name products should be fairly good though. You know how it works, expensive is usually good, cheap is almost always bad.

As for vendors, I've had luck with Keith at Fort Bedford, he is a TNet supporting vendor, and a good guy IMO.

PM or text if you need anything.

Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope you are well buddy.

I actually prefer headphones with extra animal parts in them! The high tone on my machine sounds like pig squeal. Umm... pork...

Carolina Tom, That is music to my ears! You know how your northern cousin from NC feel about pork :occasion14: Do you think the ATP has enough amp to properly cook the pork? Anyway hope you are doing well.........stop by for that PBR if you make it my way. The grill is always hot and beer is cold here in Lexington. Kill it grill it :-)

Tom

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones are so much a personal thing, that it's hard to recommend a particular one. We all have different comfort levels and hearing needs. Over the ears? on the ears? in the ears? High tones? Low tones? We all our preferences. As for quality.... Grey Ghost makes nice ones, so does Koss and many other brands. If you have a detector store nearby, I'd recommend you try a few out before you buy. Keep in mind that you will be wearing them for hours, so, comfort it a BIG deal.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The better metal detector headphones all use the same Audiosears 150 Ohm speakers. Killer B's and Sun Ray Golds do, and I'm told that Gray Ghost, Black Widow and possibly Jolly Rogers do too. Audiosears have a high pitched tone and are very sensitive to the "whisper" from a deep target.

The best in my opinion, are the Killer B's and Sun Ray, both made by the same guy. The KB's and Sun Ray have soft LEATHER on the headband and earmuff. The super-sensitive Audiosears speakers, a tough coiled cord with 90 angled plug, detented volume control(s), good switches, etc. take a look at the Killer B's and Sun Ray's website. The standard KB's go for just over $100, from several suppliers, the top model, for about $125.
I didn't think they were worth that much before I bought 'em, but I do now. I started with cheap 32 Ohm headphones from Wally, then bought a volume control and adapter. They sounded OK, but the flimsey cord got caught on every twig, and they let more outside sound in so that it was harder to concentrate.
Whichever you choose...happy hunting!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was amazed at how much more you become "as one" with your detector by using headphones. I would never hunt without them. As mentioned above, comfort is a big thing as you'll wear them for hours on some hunts. I'd recommend buying as good a pair as you can afford for the performance and consider that you'll probably NOT be buying more anytime soon. I use Gray Ghosts which fit my head a bit tightly, but I really like the sound they produce.
luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i just got a pair of jolly rogers from ebay for about 85.00.they are way better than the one that came with any of my whites.
brad

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the stock Garret's and the grey ghosts amphibians for the ATPro. If I am only land detecting I prefer the Garretts. They are more comfortable and have better sound than the GGA's. So if you aren't wanting to submerge your head I would not buy the GGA's.

I also own the Grey Ghost NDT's that have very good sound on my other detectors (do not have the ATP adapter) You can buy the adapter and use any pair of headphones with a 1/4 plug. The NDT (no down time) headphones come to it's an extra cord in case you damage the ones on your headphones while hunting. You simply stick a new cord on the headphones via a quick connector.

Last edited:

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use the deteknix wireless headphones on my AT pro and cant be happier. theyre comfortable, have great sound quality, lightweight, wireless, and they dont swallow my ears and cover half my head in 90 degree weather. my stock garrett headphones have a softer, quieter tone that sounds cheap to me. also the stock phones basically act as earmuffs and over heat my brain. personally, i feel like i can hear more with my deteknix. i love them

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
The better metal detector headphones all use the same Audiosears 150 Ohm speakers. Killer B's and Sun Ray Golds do, and I'm told that Gray Ghost, Black Widow and possibly Jolly Rogers do too. Audiosears have a high pitched tone and are very sensitive to the "whisper" from a deep target.

The best in my opinion, are the Killer B's and Sun Ray, both made by the same guy. The KB's and Sun Ray have soft LEATHER on the headband and earmuff. The super-sensitive Audiosears speakers, a tough coiled cord with 90 angled plug, detented volume control(s), good switches, etc. take a look at the Killer B's and Sun Ray's website. The standard KB's go for just over $100, from several suppliers, the top model, for about $125.
I didn't think they were worth that much before I bought 'em, but I do now. I started with cheap 32 Ohm headphones from Wally, then bought a volume control and adapter. They sounded OK, but the flimsey cord got caught on every twig, and they let more outside sound in so that it was harder to concentrate.
Whichever you choose...happy hunting!

pinenut,

The Detector Pro brand headphones now use a lower frequency 150 ohm speaker in them which I like a lot better as I feel I can hear the edges of the targets better and prefer the tone of them. They changed speaker vendors a few years back and there newer headphones have the new speakers in them. There older model headphones had a 150 ohm speaker in them similar to the Killer Bees speaker. The new speaker is flat looking and chrome with even spaced small hole in it. The older speaker looked a lot like the speaker in the Killer Bees more conical bigger holes in the face of the speaker (kind of hard to describe correctly). I like Killer Bees myself but I find them slightly a little to tinny or high pitched sounding for me on some or most detectors and have a tougher time hearing the edges of target. I never really noticed this issue until trying the newer Detector Pro headphones. I had used the older ones and had not noticed much of a difference like said between my Killer Bees. I do wish Detector Pro offered the leather ear muff and the more finite control volume knobs on there headphones like the Killer Bees do. Sun Ray headphones are manufactured by Killer Bee with higher end features switch's and knobs with Sun Rays name on them.

Pic of new speaker design below.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread