Permission for churches?

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've always though about hunting a couple churches in my area, but I never have, because I don't have permission for them and it would seem... Well.. Wrong. On a few occasions I've read threads on here that gave me the distinct feeling that some guys don't even bother asking to detect a church. Sorta sounded like a "fair game" mentality.

What's the consensus? Permission for churches, or no? Personally, I will not detect a church until I get permission, as it is private property.

Upvote 0

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This seems a no brainer to me. It is private property therefore it requires permission.

I have found speaking with the pastor to be the simplest way to gain access at old churches. Most maintain office hours at their churches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^ This. Churches are private property....permission is needed or you are breaking the law.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every Church or church owned property that I asked about, I was told no. One told me that I could detect if I gave them everything that I found.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every Church or church owned property that I asked about, I was told no. One told me that I could detect if I gave them everything that I found.

I would have laughed in their faces. I tested 4X local churches the last 24 hours after reading this...3 of 4 told me no.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's been my experience too. They seem to be the least likely to give permission vs. other private property I've hunted. The ones I've asked were very unfriendly, to the point of being rude.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They've got the sidewalk dug up and the street side excavated on a nearby church. I am thinking I'll put on my hard hat and "go to work". I won't complain if I get locked up but not about to go snooping for permission. I just need that orange or neon vest n I don't think anyone will notice me lol.

Chipperi

Greenie
Aug 4, 2016
Piney Flats, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
I am 1 for 1. Saw the old guy who mows the grass and is in charge of the property an he said sure but I have to split anything over $10,000 with him! it's just a little country church.

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive never asked to detect a church. ive never detected a church. my only day off usually is sunday and i never want to bother them then. but now im curious cause there are many churches here that are pre 1800. ive always thought about it and now after reading this id be interested to see what results i get since im in "the south". it could be either the nicest person in the world and say yes or the rudest person ive met with a no. around here theres no in between.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Pastor told me no.:laughing7:
I was like Dude!...remember that time you dunked me in the water? And we were cool and all?
He must have an old detector in his rectory.:dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always though about hunting a couple churches in my area, but I never have, because I don't have permission for them and it would seem... Well.. Wrong. On a few occasions I've read threads on here that gave me the distinct feeling that some guys don't even bother asking to detect a church. Sorta sounded like a "fair game" mentality.

What's the consensus? Permission for churches, or no? Personally, I will not detect a church until I get permission, as it is private property.

Back in the 70's , 80's Churches were fair game around here.
No permission needed. after all they are churches.
The preacher don't own them, They are just employees .
and the grounds keepers don't care. and everyone was laid back.

as times have changed and I got older, I still see detectorists Help themselves.

But I ask Now. And though The Preachers say they Don't care, They & the Grounds keepers in most cases
say the Church Committee must be asked & Vote. Of course there is always one unchristian type person at every Church Function who is there to throw their weight around.

I had one preacher in the past told me he didn't think his Parishioners would want their lost items found.
20 years later the next preacher just wanted to see my finds.

And 99% of churches here give a No when asked , but those who help themselves seem to have Free reign over & over.

Sorry ! Just how I say it.

Best option Ask the Preacher or Groundskeeper.
If they say Yes, do it.

If they say you need to go to a Meeting.
move on don't bother.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was like Dude!...remember that time you dunked me in the water? And we were cool and all?

That was epic....I laughed my butt off at that Dave.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I guess the only way to find out is to become an altar boy :laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a Christian, not a Catholic.....doh!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Still, church grounds are private property. Would be the same thing if someone wanted to detect the lawn of a local business....assuming there ARE lawns in the area! :laughing7:

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's funny. At two old churches I asked at the Pastors both told me knock yourself out, but I've been detecting here for years, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fafe

Oct 6, 2010
Huntington, WV area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this is a timely subject for me. I recently received permission to hunt a local church which is 145 yrs. old. Of course, the church has been added to and expanded over the decades, but still is a relatively small church. To those who have hunted churches before, are there certain places on the property I should concentrate?

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 1 for 1. Saw the old guy who mows the grass and is in charge of the property an he said sure but I have to split anything over $10,000 with him! it's just a little country church.

Same here! I cased an old country church out until I saw the caretaker mowing, I stopped by and waited til he was done and told him what I do, I love local history and not only did he give me permission, he gave me a tour of the place, showed me where the traveling preacher stayed when he rolled into town and just ask I refrain the 2 times a week church is in session...slim pickins, but I did dig my first Buffalo there! The smaller, rural churches seem more apt to allow detecting...ddf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Permission, absolutely - Keep in mind the sidewalk strips are fair game, might well have been there as long or before the church itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread