Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fellas I'm in a 1 month dry spell right now and it's killing me. If somebody would please PM me the secret to using plat maps. I don't care if I have to pay for them, just help me get to the promise -land...FAST!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth-
Plat maps work well when noticeable target areas on say a 1920's map is overlayed on a current map of today. Have you checked out historicaereals.com? Easy to use but will take some research time.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth-
Plat maps work well when noticeable target areas on say a 1920's map is overlayed on a current map of today. Have you checked out historicaereals.com? Easy to use but will take some research time.

Yes I've used historical aerials but they don't line up correctly and before 1965 it's not that good. I was just looking for something that was better than that.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I've used historical aerials but they don't line up correctly and before 1965 it's not that good. I was just looking for something that was better than that.

What the "T" mean, say like on example T1932, on historical aerials site?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Download and learn how to use Maprika. You can overlay any map onto another and correct any inconsistencies. Once you learn it you will love it.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looked at the Historical Aerials website for Abita Springs La.

Noticed a cluster of 5 buildings just North of Town, that were there in 1935, and gone by the 1960's.

They're on a hilltop. I think I'd start by looking there.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Download and learn how to use Maprika. You can overlay any map onto another and correct any inconsistencies. Once you learn it you will love it.

Man I sure appreciate the tip. I'm going to look it up when I get home I just don't seem to be computer savvy with overlays but I'm just going to have to figure it out. I can't wait to love it.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I sure appreciate the tip. I'm going to look it up when I get home I just don't seem to be computer savvy with overlays but I'm just going to have to figure it out. I can't wait to love it.

Google Maprika. There are a few great tutorials that will walk you through it. It's a head scratcher at first but it will click. You can sent your map to your phones Maprika app when your done and use the GPS in real time while you search for your site. I gave up figuring it out the first time but the tutorial made it easy!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have a main Library in your town?

Tell the Librarian you are interested in learning more about the history of the area you are interested in.

Ask if there are any old maps that you can compare to modern maps in the library.

Ask about any books on the area's history that might point to modern landmarks as you research the past.

My Library here in White Plains, has a "Special" room that is kept locked, with items, maps and drawings going back to before the Battle of White Plains, in 1776. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google Maprika. There are a few great tutorials that will walk you through it. It's a head scratcher at first but it will click. You can sent your map to your phones Maprika app when your done and use the GPS in real time while you search for your site. I gave up figuring it out the first time but the tutorial made it easy!

Brother I appreciate that so much. Now I'm going to have to watch the tutorial about 20 times but that's OK. I'm looking for the promised land you know what I mean? Lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have a main Library in your town?

Tell the Librarian you are interested in learning more about the history of the area you are interested in.

Ask if there are any old maps that you can compare to modern maps in the library.

Ask about any books on the area's history that might point to modern landmarks as you research the past.

My Library here in White Plains, has a "Special" room that is kept locked, with items, maps and drawings going back to before the Battle of White Plains, in 1776. :skullflag:

You're right I haven't been in the library in the past 35 years I guess it's time. I'm going to do that and I'll let you know how it turned out. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread