spending $500 or $600 - what metal detector to buy for beach (not in the water)?

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, so I've gone back and forth for months and what I want to get and what I plan on doing. I'm in St augustine so hunting in the water is a no no.

I'm looking to spend $500 or $600. Maybe $700. I considered the Deus detector but it's at $800...not sure if that's necessary.

I'll be hunting on the beach, not in the water. Mostly looking for coins and jewelry. What detector would you recommend? I want to make the purchase today so I can finally get out there (been dreaming about this for MONTHS)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

quick edit: I'd prefer not digging up a ton of trash, so I'm guessing the $200-$300 are not a good idea. Will the $600 models still be giving me aluminum tabs and other trash?

is the garrett 350 ok for beach? decent detector?

another edit: I might be steering away form this and just shelling out the cash to get something that goes DEEP. Depth is important to me

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not necessarily how much you spend on that detector but whether or not it's design/functions well for the beach.
I've gone round and round with purchasing detectors that weren't really made for beach detecting and ended up back where I started, with a Minelab Sovereign GT. Buy one used and get what I believe to be the best beach detector ever made. IMHO of course.
Best of luck in your search.

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not necessarily how much you spend on that detector but whether or not it's design/functions well for the beach.
I've gone round and round with purchasing detectors that weren't really made for beach detecting and ended up back where I started, with a Minelab Sovereign GT. Buy one used and get what I believe to be the best beach detector ever made. IMHO of course.

Thank you. I've been reading more about depth ,and I do want something that finds things pretty deep. So I was now considering an XP Deus. How about that, with an 11" coil?

Looking into the Minelab now

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What he said.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. I've been reading more about depth ,and I do want something that finds things pretty deep. So I was now considering an XP Deus. How about that, with an 11" coil?

Looking into the Minelab now

Single frequency detectors don't do as well in high salt content say like in the wet sand or heavy mineralization.
The Minelab Sovereign GT detects as deep if not deeper than most and has no problems detecting in the wet.
The tones of the different metals are clear and very easy to separate from the trash.
From shallow water to the dry sand it does it perfectly.
If considering a Sovereign a later GT used with a straight shaft is perfect.
No experience with the Whites. Maybe someone will chime in on it.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the DRY SAND, get yourself a Tesoro Silver uMax, with the 11" x 8" widescan coil. Be SURE to get a long handled, dry sand scoop! The Discrimination oo the Silver uMax is fantastic, it's LIGHT as a feather, and it is as DEEP in the dry sand as that $800.00 XP Deus, or Minelab Sov. - Good Luck! :skullflag:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to throw this in and rattle a cage here! Last year I gave my cousin my Ace 250. He lives on the coast, and doesn't often go out detecting. But in the past year he's found 6 pieces of gold jewelry. I'm still waiting myself.

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alright guys. I pulled the trigger on a White's Surfmaster DF. Will be hunting in wet sand, salt-water. I know it's PI and I'm going to be DIGGING, but I like that it goes DEEP :D

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the DF had one. Great little PI detector and lightweight but you will be digging trash, that's cool though.
Let us see the pics of your stellar finds.
Best of luck out there!
Rusty

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just made a lot of Tesoro Sand Shark owners smile! Don't be surprised to see one following you in the water. :laughing7:

Good luck and Big gold with your new machine! :occasion14:

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just made a lot of Tesoro Sand Shark owners smile! Don't be surprised to see one following you in the water. :laughing7:

Good luck and Big gold with your new machine! :occasion14:

Is what I got just as good as the sand shark? I considered that model. Hope I made an OK purchase lol

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is what I got just as good as the sand shark? I considered that model. Hope I made an OK purchase lol

You're Good! It is a "Chevy vs Ford" thing. :laughing7: Although, for what you spent on the DF, you could have bought a Sand Shark AND a Compadre! :occasion14:

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're Good! It is a "Chevy vs Ford" thing. :laughing7: Although, for what you spent on the DF, you could have bought a Sand Shark AND a Compadre! :occasion14:

Okay :) *wipes sweat from forehead* lol I've been researching detectors for so many months that, when you said that, I thought, OH SHOOT NOO!!

I'm considering buying a second detector actually for my wife - for out of the wet sand but regular sand. Figured she could search that area while I search the wet area. Would you recommend that compadre for dry sand? Or is that more for land? WISH I could hunt on land here, unfortunately it's banned and deemed illegal. which stinks because I can only imagine the amount of treasure troves that are still hidden here in St augustine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Compadre is great for dry sand and quite deep deep too. Simple to operate, light weight. Wouldn't be surprised if she out hunts you.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Compadre is great for dry sand and quite deep deep too. Simple to operate, light weight. Wouldn't be surprised if she out hunts you.:thumbsup:

Really!? Wow, maybe I shouldn't have bought the DF lol. I figured I'd find more in the wet sand, though; things that have possibly been there for years and years. I'm mostly hunting for old spanish coins. :D

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted in the water there many times and the wet sand. The Sand Shark or Dual Field are about the cheapest route if you want to submerge the unit. A Safari, Explorer or Sovereign are all great machines up on the wet sand(which is quite wide in your area). Good luck with the old Spanish coins! I've been looking for one for several years now!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted in the water there many times and the wet sand. The Sand Shark or Dual Field are about the cheapest route if you want to submerge the unit. A Safari, Explorer or Sovereign are all great machines up on the wet sand(which is quite wide in your area). Good luck with the old Spanish coins! I've been looking for one for several years now!

Thanks. St Augustine law is "no hunting in the water." So I won't be submerging it, just hunting on the wet sand. Did I spend too much? You think I'd be better off with one of the others?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread