Just bought a new detector

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the She Detector pkg. Congrats.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The Excal is extremely easy to learn. If you're digging with discrimination on, set discrimination to "1", and you'll blank out the iron and a lot of foil trash, but keep the gold rings. Take the threshold up to where you can hear it, just so, don't make it loud. When you pass over iron, the hum turns to a buzz - which is pretty annoying. But when you hit another target it will immediately switch to the hum. That buzz is another reason to keep your threshold just to the minimal sound, you'd get frustrated with that buzz pretty quick. Another option there is that on your next swing in the direction of the scoop, nearing the scoop you'll change back to the hum. But in highly iron areas, you'll get "buzzed" a lot - but you won't miss valid targets. Scoop those solid sounds, the repeatable ones.

And you'll be scooping on your virgin flight!

And educate yourself in the care and maintenance of the Excal and you'll be swinging for potentially years to come.

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congtats on the Excal we may both own one soon.

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Excal is extremely easy to learn. If you're digging with discrimination on, set discrimination to "1", and you'll blank out the iron and a lot of foil trash, but keep the gold rings. Take the threshold up to where you can hear it, just so, don't make it loud. When you pass over iron, the hum turns to a buzz - which is pretty annoying. But when you hit another target it will immediately switch to the hum. That buzz is another reason to keep your threshold just to the minimal sound, you'd get frustrated with that buzz pretty quick. Another option there is that on your next swing in the direction of the scoop, nearing the scoop you'll change back to the hum. But in highly iron areas, you'll get "buzzed" a lot - but you won't miss valid targets. Scoop those solid sounds, the repeatable ones.

And you'll be scooping on your virgin flight!

And educate yourself in the care and maintenance of the Excal and you'll be swinging for potentially years to come.

Interested in the care and maintenance you speak of? I understand the rest of your tips/guidance and thank you for that.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a lot more i myself have to learn yet.

First up, you don't want to be pulling on either the coil cable at the connection, or off the control unit headphone connection. Those are stress points and would require repair if abused = bucks you'd rather not have to spend a year into using it. Give a small flex length at the coil and cable tie the cable to the lower shaft. Do the same at the headphone cable.

Get a supply of silicone and use it on both your coil connection and headphone connection.

Rinse off and clean after each use, especially when you hunt salt water.

Learn to take off the coil cover and clean it every couple of hunts. No matter how tight it is and appears to be, you'll build up black sand, and even course sand in it and it'll drive you crazy falsing. However, do keep the coil cover on when hunting. Sometimes you can't see what you're bouncing that coil off in the water.

Absolutely get a knob guard, they're pretty cheap, and those knobs are very vulnerable, you don't want them being bumped. It's a little harder turning those knobs with the guard on, but it's likely one of the better investments you'll want to make.

I'm sure others will offer you tips I've not covered here. In fact, I'd like to see other tips by others.

Guess where I learned my stuff! The answer is here, and of course Clive's books too. He's a member here, and he sells his books in the Treasure Related Stuff For Sale forum.

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

First up, you don't want to be pulling on either the coil cable at the connection, or off the control unit headphone connection. Those are stress points and would require repair if abused = bucks you'd rather not have to spend a year into using it. Give a small flex length at the coil and cable tie the cable to the lower shaft. Do the same at the headphone cable.

Get a supply of silicone and use it on both your coil connection and headphone connection.

Learn to take off the coil cover and clean it every couple of hunts. No matter how tight it is and appears to be, you'll build up black sand, and even course sand in it and it'll drive you crazy falsing. However, do keep the coil cover on when hunting. Sometimes you can't see what you're bouncing that coil off in the water.

Absolutely get a knob guard, they're pretty cheap, and those knobs are very vulnerable, you don't want them being bumped. It's a little harder turning those knobs with the guard on, but it's likely one of the better investments you'll want to make.

I'm sure others will offer you tips I've not covered here. In fact, I'd like to see other tips by others.

Guess where I learned my stuff! The answer is here, and of course Clive's books too. He's a member here, and he sells his books in the Treasure Related Stuff For Sale forum.

Great info and other than the knob guard items I do currently with my Fisher F70.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Nice write up. Very helpful. I was thinking about the pinpoint conversion mod, moving it to the handle. How many people here perform that mod?
I could do it myself, but usually the first project is the worst one.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok everyone that responded here. I'm looking for some tips on pin pointing and digging in the surf. Any advice is welcome. TY in advance.

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Knob guard is purchased and may be here before my baby arrives!

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a thin bead of clear bathroom silicone seal in the small gap where the coil cover meets the coil ( top side of coil when the cover is installed ) and use my finger to squeegee it down into the crack. It keeps sand from getting inside the coil cover , and can easily be removed if you ever want to remove the coil cover. When it dries , you can't even tell its on there , so it's not going to make your new machine look all ghetto either. Good Luck and Happy Hunting !

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not sure I am getting a coil cover with my PKG deal but intend to get one if not. I have covers for all three of my coils for my F70 and thank you again for the great tips...keep them coming please

Comes with coil cover :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread