QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I found my first ring a couple of weeks ago and got my acid test kit today. Not sure how to interpret the results.

Of all the acids only the 22K and Platnium acid dissolved the metal on the stone, no other reactions with silver, 10K, 14K, or 18K.

Not sure if its platnium or white 22K gold.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you stick a magnet to it also?

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Not plat or 22k if the mark dissolves when using those acids. If it, the mark on the stone, holds at 10k and up to 18k then you might just have a 18k ring.
Other things to consider or check are weight and if the ring is magnetic. Magnetic (confirms Iron)is not good if it has a strong or even slight attraction.
Weight can help when compared to the size of the ring.(you should also get yourself a digital scale)
Also...Pictures are a big help for others on the forum in seeing just what you have and are trying to get info about.
SS

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could possibly be stainless steel that is why I asked about the magnet stainless will pass a lot of the acid tests.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160828_120154_resized.png

So I found a magnet.....drum roll please. Ok so the ring doesn't have any attraction at all to the magnet. So what you all think? It weighs exactly 4 grams.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough to say, the brushed finish looks good, but only 4g for what appears to be a pretty good size, thick, possible 18k ring......, I would think should have some more weight to it. At that weight I would guess stainless, best to take it to a jeweler.
SS

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow, there is a lot to determining metals, thanks very much for the suggestions. Just finding a ring was exciting, especially when all you have found before were maybe a few pennies, loonie, bobby pins and garbage, lol. Yeah it is really light and the metal seems super tough to scratch on the stone. Thank you all, hey Skippy hows the pinpointer?

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Video is private but thats ok. I haven't had a chance to really use mine that much a few times and when I did I have had no issues, so I had no idea there were even issues. I used it a bit more on my last hunt in shallow water and it was useful, the only thing I found I had to hold it closer to the tip to feel it vibrate, I should actually read how to use it cause ive simply turned it on and off. Sorry to hear you have had such bad luck, yeah wish we had received the detector but oh well I wouldn't own this awesome Infinium LS now so it all worked out for the best.

Yeah Garrett really knows their stuff, I definitely will be buying the carrot if need be.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread