Something to consider about antique machines = metal detectors & capabilities

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in '83 or '84 I picked up a Fisher 1260X and went places with that machine then that my Garrett wouldn't go.

I've a second home site, horribly littered with trash, above & beyond about the worst I've ever seen. I took my Etrac there and it just couldn't cut it, way way too much noise, deafening.

Back when I'd had that 1260X, and even now I'd not taken that baby there, I seldom use it now. But back when I'd used it for a while, the 1265X came out and I wanted one of them. But then began my lost years of very heavy overtime and a very stressful life.

BUT! Then now I'm retired. Ran into a deal on a Fisher 1265X here a couple weeks ago and that baby looks pretty cherry.

So, I went to that horrid house & did some of the yard. I dug far more beer can tops than I did coins.

But I managed to cut right through that mess for 6 coins for 38 cents.

I wouldn't even try my CTX there.

Here's one for the oldies too :)

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Those were good Fisher machines for their era. The first machines to slow down the motion sweep speed required , if I recall. However they are very dated depth wise , compared to today's machines.

Bugalooob

Aug 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in '86 I had a 6000 dipro, I pulled out more silver with that baby then and other machine...but it would only go down to around 6inch's and silver was getting scarce...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An etrac with a tiny coil and in two tone ferrous should be a good combo for that area. You'll still get a machine gun burst of iron, but, there should be some high chirps in there to investigate. The Deus is also a good machine for highly infested iron sites. With both machines, you have to swing the coil at a snails pace however. The CTX should have the same success as the Etrac with the added benefit of target trace where you can have more than one target on the display at a time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions