Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent my stock coil in a couple of weeks ago for a replacement due to defect, and along with the new coil they sent me a set of the new gaskets (which surprised me because I didn't buy them or ask for them). Is there a specific way to replace the old ones or is just simple pop-out/pop-in? The only reason I ask is because I thought I remembered reading something one time about greasing or oiling the new O ring before it went in, but I can't find that reference now...

Upvote 0

DURASPANK

Greenie
Aug 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use 100% silicone grease. Any petroleum based products will deteriorate rubber.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume they sent you the grey ones. If so just clean out the channel it fits in without any specs of dirt. I use alcohol pads and a toothpick to get everything. Same for the ridge on the battery.

Minelab does not recommend using the grease as it will attract small particles of sand which can lead to a place for moisture.

I have been in the ocean 5 of the last 7 days using the grey O rings without grease with no issues. If you do decide to use the grease remove the ring with every charging, clean and replace the grease. If you do develop a leak be sure the unit has the grey rings (or original red ones) and clean out the grease when sending back for warranty service.

cjweber

Sep 26, 2016
Missouri (for now)
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, and that damned old Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume they have replaced all red rings with grey ones on any further 3030's they ship out correct? Just want to make sure mine is arriving with the right ones and I don't have to wait on a set of rings to be ordered and arrive... has anyone bought a 3030 in the last couple months?

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume they have replaced all red rings with grey ones on any further 3030's they ship out correct? Just want to make sure mine is arriving with the right ones and I don't have to wait on a set of rings to be ordered and arrive... has anyone bought a 3030 in the last couple months?

I believe they have...don't know why they wouldn't. It was weird with mine - I sent my big coil in to be replaced and these O-rings just showed up in the mail about a week later. I don't know if that's something that's covered by warranty and they just sent them because the warranty showed it hadn't been done yet or what, but I'm impressed with their customer service regardless.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent my big coil in to be replaced and these O-rings just showed up in the mail about a week later. I don't know if that's something that's covered by warranty and they just sent them because the warranty showed it hadn't been done yet or what, but I'm impressed with their customer service regardless.

I would guess they are sending them out to limit the warranty repairs caused by the old seals leaking. Cheaper to send out seals that replace circuit boards!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread