Has anyone used this underwater metal detector before?

jk1031

Dec 7, 2014
Lockhart, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ & Nokta Makro PulseDive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The model number is MD-7020C. It says it's submersible up to 100 feet. I know it's a cheap knockoff, but for the price, just wondering if it would be worth trying out for my first underwater metal detector. I plan on using it primarily in freshwater rivers in Texas. I couldn't find too many reviews online, so I figured someone on here might be able to offer some feedback.

Here are some links to the detector:

King Detector - Underwater Metal Detector for Sale | MD-7020C Fully Waterproof Gold Finder

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/KingDetector-Professional-Waterproof-MD-7020C-Detector/dp/B01DZSDP78

Ebay - MD 7020C Professional Underwater Diving Waterproof Metal Detector w Headphones | eBay

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they can't spell the word "detector" correctly in the description I would leave it be!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the feeling you would be flushing your $$ away with this

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knock off of name brand products pass

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
You would be better off investing that money in a decent underwater handheld pinpointer, a set of cheap goggles and a snorkel.

Notice how you can't find any easy to find reviews good or bad on this thing anywhere.
If you look at one seller on EBay and go to their seller's ratings there is one comment there that says this thing does pick up metal but only shallow...and is not waterproof

Stay far away from this thing, do what I said or take that money and use it as fireplace kindling if you really feel a need to get rid of it needlessly.

If none of this convinces you I got bridges for sale...lots and lots of bridges.
Cheap.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Garbage! Price slash from 500 to 100...? yeah I doubt it was even originally $500, Looks like a cheap quality detector. Save yourself some grief and buy a name brand that costs a little more and will last for a long time and you'll know it will work when you're all the way out in the water. Tesoro sand shark would be my first choice if you're looking for quality and the next best price in a top end machine.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At Pro probably the most economic option for a quality water machine, does great on land too.

But for alot of water hunting a dedicated machine is the way to go, if able $$.
Will probably get me a Shark, lifetime warranty sounds almost too good to be true - Hope it included water damage !

I almost impulse bought a cheap chinese knockoff like this a few years ago, glad I resisted. I figured they must be so cheap for a reason and ponied up for an AT.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junk..

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just from the adds I say you would be wasting your money, unless you need another door stop.
If you do need another door stop you would still be happier with another brand.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
......and is not waterproof.... .

Huh ? WHAT are you talking about ?? OF COURSE it's waterproof. All you need to do is wrap it up with plastic garbage bags and black tape, and it most certainly will be waterproof ! ;)

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just wondering if it would be worth trying out for my first underwater metal detector. I plan on using it primarily in freshwater rivers in Texas. I couldn't find too many reviews online, so I figured someone on here might be able to offer some feedback.

I would get it and make a video of yourself throwing it off the top of a building to see how many pieces it breaks into when dropped from various heights. Otherwise not sure it will be good for anything else.

London's mom

Dec 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at the same one for my son. He enjoys metal detecting, treasure hunting in rivers w/ snorkel, etc and is in process of getting dive certified.
London's Mom

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at the same one for my son. He enjoys metal detecting, treasure hunting in rivers w/ snorkel, etc and is in process of getting dive certified.
London's Mom

You have read the comments above haven't you? Stay away from this junk.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It might be mostly a water resistant machine, compared to, say, the Garrett AT Pro line of "waterproof" detectors.
I would research more and look at users' comments on that machine. The price quoted is cheap, much too cheap,
for a serious, professional tool...!
...but who knows, Good Luck!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would seriously consider donating the $$ to charity or even flushing it down the toilet before purchasing this - You are setting yourself up for nothing but frustration.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread