Recommend me a metal detector around 150-250 ...

MattNumistic

Apr 20, 2007
England
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
This has to be sold directly within the UK, as good as possible, for £150-£250. It has to be pretty decent, so I can reach down and get some oldish coins. I am entirely new to metal detecting, haven't been on a hunt yet - please don't recommend things on the basis of 'ideal for beginner' I just need advice from a layman's needs perspective.

Thanks in advance,
Matt 8)

Upvote 0

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
250 pounds... with the exchange...around $500 us? or close to it? several good machines from whites, minelab, garret in that price range or close to it. Might want to try and find a used DFX or minelab explorer II. Ebay is always a good resource for that. Also, check out the classifieds here on treasurenet.

steve

OP
OP
MattNumistic

MattNumistic

Apr 20, 2007
England
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Thanks for the replies - isn't it a bit dodgy buying used machines tho', in case they conk out?

I have been seeing Garret a lot in various mags, I might give it a try...

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Ive bought a few used detectors online. you're right... it can be dodgy getting used electronics. I sent my excalibur (bought used from ebay) to the factory for a checkup... came back with a clean bill of health and only cost me the shipping.

steve

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
I've heard that UK MD'ers love the Teknetics detector. For that amount of $ I am sure you can locate one.

OP
OP
MattNumistic

MattNumistic

Apr 20, 2007
England
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Teknetics? I'll look that up... :-\

I am thinking at the moment of getting a Viking V20 - only because the add says it has some nice features tho'... ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can save hundreds of $. I have bought 2 used units, 1 off ebay, Minelab Excal 1000. 1 from a person off of a different MD website where I posted here and there seeking a Whites 6000 PRO XL and got reply from there. So far, both are still working perfectly.

If you only buy from someone who has a good rep on the website or a good feedback on Ebay the chances are very good you will not have a problem.

Off of ebay I only buy from dealer who takes Paypal or creditcard, both protect you, and must have above a 99% rating and I always check to see what any negative rating is about. Many times the negative is nothing the seller really had control over. (slow shipping or lost shipping by post office)

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
if you can get a t-2 for that price, they are awsome, i love mine, i have boughten 4 of my whites used and never had a problem, they are pretty tough.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Tesoro Cibola new for $340.00 with a life time warranty the last year that I was in Germany and it did well for very small coins and relics . Found twenty five roman coins and some were tiny . I am sure you can have one shipped to the UK but I don't know if you would have to pay tax on it or what the shipping cost would be. Good luck.

OP
OP
MattNumistic

MattNumistic

Apr 20, 2007
England
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Tax on shipping?

Do you think I'd cough up.. :D

I'm thinking of just getting an ACE-150 at the moment and saving more money so I can go and spend it at the York Coin fayre ;)

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is no problem buying used electronics, if it is working more than likely it will remain that way.(Barring mechanical problems)..Most electronics that have problems do so in the first month, or so of operation...I have bought several used detectors with no problems..I did get one that had a faulty circuit board, but it was my fault entirely for not checking it out better than I did...This unit had been dropped, and would sound off if it was moved rapidly...All I did was an air test with it, and it worked ok...Should have taken it out in the field, and tested it out better...I learned from that, and have bought 2 used machines since then, and both are fine after several years...

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Buy what you want now, don't settle for something less. You will be discouraged and disappointed. I have bought 3 detectors used online, an ACE250, a White's Eagle Spectrum and a Minelab Sovereign, none of which have had any problems.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
For £ 150.00 to £ 250.00 in the UK, the only detectors worth looking at new are the ACE 150 and the ACE 250. Detectors in Europe and the UK are a lot more expensive than the States (Unfortunately). If you can afford it, try and get an XP 100/200/250/ or adventis, otherwise you´re definately looking at second hand. A Minelab XTerra 50 will cost about £ 599.00, even the 30 is about £ 499.00, although if you shop around there are some good deals on. Try staffordshire detectors, or detecniks, they often have good second hand, and come with a three month warranty on then used items.
Ray (Still stuck in Southern Germany)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to Tony (TonyinCt) and see what you can get from him, then figure out the shipping.

I have 3 units I have bought used, 2 Excals and a Whites 6000 PRO XL, all worked perfectly upon arrival, and are still working with never a problem.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
If you can throw in an extra 100 pounds you can get the Minelab GT.If you want something really light.......tesoro brands are great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread